Coronavirus

spartansaver

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to figure out if you are an optimist or a pessimist :)

I would guess that it will be late spring (?) perhaps before I qualify (advanced age and all that) but am in no rush. Be interesting to see if there are any unexpected reactions in the meantime. Good luck with the tetanus shot.

@cwericb

Last night, a few minutes before 8PM, a large UPS cargo plane landed about 20 km from where i live. Some people even went there to see the plane land. And now the vaccine is spreading like a virus.

-----

If interested in vaccine distribution:

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/event/dec-3-web-briefing-what-happens-once-there-is-a-covid-19-vaccine-key-challenges-to-vaccinating-america/

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/they-re-not-just-treating-covid-rural-area-doctors-are-fighting-vaccine-distrust/ar-BB1bSWAp?ocid=msedgntp

The second link is about the ‘narrative’ that occurs where real people live in the ‘periphery’. There is a difference between anti-vaxx and hesitancy and it looks like more effective vaccine coverage can be obtained in leading by example in order to alleviate hesitations.

The first link is relatively long but slides can be downloaded and looked at for a few seconds to get the gist. Two messages: 1-the distribution will be a challenge for many reasons (logistics and others) partly because of heterogeneity in regional plans. 2-the areas (trend, not all) that report the highest ‘casualty’ from the virus are also the least prepared for distribution and are also where people show the most ‘hesitancy’. There’s work to be done.

The vaccine story concerning procurement and distribution is 100%-owned by central “authorities”, which should be a default option but it’s still an opportunity to build back trust.

During this outbreak, there was a lot of unnecessary denial: unusual focus on ‘alternative’ theories and their proponents, unusual questioning of motives, unusual tendency to magnify harm or disagreements and unusual emphasis on personal sovereignty.

Even if challenging, vaccine distribution looks easier to achieve than other related virus challenges and may help to bring people together, to a more constructive degree. Doubt and questioning are great tools but, when trust is breached, it can become awfully difficult to get constructive and engaging discussions going.

APnews fact check on Senate Early treatment

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-9768999400

"In June, Australian researchers published the findings of a study that found ivermectin inhibited the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in a laboratory setting, which is not the same as testing the drug on humans or animals. Following the study, the FDA released a letter out of concern warning consumers not to self-medicate with ivermectin products intended for animals.

“It is a far cry from an in vitro lab replication to helping humans,” said Dr. Nasia Safdar, medical director of infection prevention at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Hospital. "

In the hearing, Dr. Rajter testified

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/early-outpatient-treatment-an-essential-part-of-a-covid-19-solution-part-ii

"The ICON study is a retrospective propensity matched observational study looking at the effect of ivermectin on hospitalized patients.Propensity matching is aimed at reducing the likelihood of selection bias and reducing the effects of confounding variables."

"We were limited to enrolling 300 patients into the study based on the limitation imposed on us by the Institutional Review Board. 107 patients received conventional care and 173 patients received conventional care plus Ivermectin. The overall mortality was 25% in the conventional care, whereas it dropped to 15% in the Ivermectin treated group. This was statistically significant difference in favor of Ivermectin use. In those patients with severe pulmonary disease at onset, the mortality benefit was even more staggering at 80.7% versus 38.8%. We concluded that further studies were needed to confirm those preliminary findings."

Dr. Pierre testified on behalf of Front line covid 19 critical care alliance:

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/early-outpatient-treatment-an-essential-part-of-a-covid-19-solution-part-ii

" I am speaking today not only as an individual physician, but also on behalf of my non-profit organization, the Front-Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance, made up of some of the most highly published and well-known critical care experts in the world with almost 2,000 peer - reviewed publications in the medical literature as well as over 100 years of bedside clinical experience in ICU’s around the country."

"Ivermectin is highly safe, widely available, and low cost.  Its discovery was awarded the Nobel Prize in medicine, and is  already included on the WHO’s “World’s List of Essential Medicines.” We now have data from over 20 well-designed clinical studies, ten of them randomized, controlled trials, with every study consistently reporting large magnitude and statistically significant benefits in decreasing transmission rates, shortening recovery times, decreasing hospitalizations, or large reductions in deaths. This clinical data is also supported by multiple basic science, in-vitro and animal studies. Our manuscript, completed one week ago, is already out of date due to the near daily emergence of new, positive ivermectin studies. The manuscript has been posted on the medical pre-print server OSF (Open Science Foundation) and can be downloaded here https://osf.io/wx3zn/ or on our organization’s website, www.flccc.net. A more updated meta-analysis and review authored by a group of Ph.D. researchers and scientists includes all ivermectin studies as of December 4th, 2020 and can be found on the c19study.com website here: https://ivmmeta.com"

Going to this Ivmmeta.com gives below figure.

Is this what AP news said "ivermectin inhibited the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in a laboratory setting, which is not the same as testing the drug on humans or animals."?

imetaall.svg

Only for discussion.  Consult your doctor for treatment.  Not a suggestion for any treatment

https://nypost.com/2020/12/14/nj-gym-that-defied-covid-19-lockdown-fined-more-than-1-2m/

$1.2M for trying to work and run a business. You know who didnt get fined $1.2M? People who stayed home and did nothing. In fact, they wrote most of those people checks. Welcome to America.

Interesting perspective, as always. (?)

It's difficult to build on this from an analysis or investment point of view but there's the following question: who's going to pay for all this?

The answer (which has been wrong so far) has been increased taxation but what the fukk do i know?

http://www.haver.com/comment/201214z.png

http://www.yardeni.com/pub/tc_20201209_4.png

@investor20

Any update on vitamin C?

https://nypost.com/2020/12/14/nj-gym-that-defied-covid-19-lockdown-fined-more-than-1-2m/

$1.2M for trying to work and run a business. You know who didnt get fined $1.2M? People who stayed home and did nothing. In fact, they wrote most of those people checks. Welcome to America.

Interesting perspective, as always. (?)

It's difficult to build on this from an analysis or investment point of view but there's the following question: who's going to pay for all this?

The answer (which has been wrong so far) has been increased taxation but what the fukk do i know?

MMT means we pay it forward.

who's going to pay for all this?

MMT means we pay it forward.

Again, you are right on target.

Still, who is we? (This may be a nagging question for a while)

In a way, (forget the white supremacist symbol on the megaphone for a minute) that's what the gym owner is trying to figure out when saying: we will not be backing down.

106634190-1595872272109-AP_20206823201319.jpg?v=1595872349&w=740&h=416

-----)back to the virus, investment implications and all..

Now you cant use the bathroom in NYC....

Sincerely,

Governor Cuomo

Trying to adjust along the way involved improvisation at times and the risk of uncomfortable incongruities. i can't speak for NY, but people in my area seemed to be motivated by good intentions, whatever that means. It looks like NY has made some adjustments. If one can't take a dump where they want, what kind of country is this?

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavirus/ny-backtracks-on-restaurant-bathroom-ban-amid-new-outdoor-dining-restrictions

It looks like most constructive energy should be devoted to vaccine distribution even if 99.999% of people survive the false positive tests but the toilet question has been one of the rare topics where Mr. Cuomo needed 'expert' assistance.

To lid or not to lid, that is the question.

Putting sanitary questions out of the way, i wonder if Mr. Buffett (in one of of his very rare public appearances) is not on the right track when he recently suggested that the PPP program should be maintained, adjusted, improved in order to build a bridge to the light at the end of the tunnel for some of the most obvious collateral damage.

Need more reasons why this has become a joke on everyone?

Just this weekend....

AOC, 30 years old....getting the vaccine despite a current shortage and not being at risk. Why?

Cuomo, who has banned everything from dining to working out, wants to attend the Buffalo Bills game! Oy Vey, eh?

And....Deborah Birx traveled with family out of state over Thanksgiving weekend! despite telling everyone else not to. You dont say!

Need more reasons why this has become a joke on everyone?

Just this weekend....

AOC, 30 years old....getting the vaccine despite a current shortage and not being at risk. Why?

Cuomo, who has banned everything from dining to working out, wants to attend the Buffalo Bills game! Oy Vey, eh?

And....Deborah Birx traveled with family out of state over Thanksgiving weekend! despite telling everyone else not to. You dont say!

It looks like all politicians get early access to the vaccine- even COVID-19 denier Marco Rubio got his shot already. I guess the idea is to increase public trust in the vaccine. I agree that neither Rubio nor AOC should be high on the priority list otherwise.

Let’s just Invert this and assume Rubio and AOC would state that they wouldn't get the vaccine yet, would the optics be better or worse? I think they would be worse, so it’s probably better to get all the ruling class vaccinated.

I personally find Deborah Birx’ behavior much more deplorable. The Uk and other nations have fired politicians on similar grounds.

@investor20

Any update on vitamin C?

Cigabutt, only anectodally of using high dose Vitamin C.

Is it true that there are limitations on selling Zinc supplements in Canada now?

Interesting recent publication.  This is in French.  I used translator:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S015196382030627X

"During an epidemic of scabies in nursing homes where residents received oral IVM, we report its impact on Covid-19 which occurred in parallel."

"All the observed cases of COVID-19 in EHPAD-A "treated" by IVM were minor, without death during the study period, while residents of EHPAD "controls" (without IVM), matched according to age, number and socio-economic level, showed a higher frequency of COVID-19 and a higher mortality."

Sixty-nine residents (including resident-1) and 52 EHPAD-A staff received IVM: median age 90 years (84–94), 78.3% women, 98.6% at least one comorbidity at risk of Severe COVID-19.

There was one anectodal news about use of Ivermectin in Canada in a longterm healthcare center in a similar setting of using Ivermectin for scabies.  Below is the video.  Glad finally someone looked at it more formal research article.

Please listen to 2-6 minutes.  This is way back in June.

Only for discussion.. Not a suggestion for any treatment.  Please consult your doctor for any treatment

Looks like the NJ nursing homes won't get the vaccine on time. Bureaucrats had too many other, more important things to do and missed the deadline....

You're obviously trolling once again and maybe you're looking for some entertainment so, just for fun: what is the problem if there is no problem?

For those looking for a more balanced take in this distribution challenge:

https://www.ft.com/content/a1bb5262-0628-401b-b5cc-66a64c17130b

(note: i'm busy today and don't plan to argue here. My second child is turning 23 today and am responsible for some of the planning; she's beautiful, gifted, graduating as an engineer this year, has a bright future and is quite liberal but hey! nobody's perfect.)

I'm generally just having some fun with this. I do think the politicians are pieces of shit. But you most certainly take this much more seriously than I do and with that said, dont think you should get too worked up over anything I post. My only contention is to highlight how from top to bottom the government is a joke and nobody's gameplan should be contingent upon them. One of my best friends growing up texted me the other day about possibly meeting up in Boca Raton and informed me that whether he would be able to or not was dependent upon the vaccine availably. He readily admitted that "perhaps I've gone overboard, but at this point Ive done nothing and have barely left my house since March, so I'm just going to play it safe"...I am totally cool with that and those who feel the same way. Sure I'll kid about it, but we should all be entitled to do and act as we are allowed by law and constitution. We should also be able to have a sense of humor, even in dark times. Congrats on your daughter too.

Looks like the NJ nursing homes won't get the vaccine on time. Bureaucrats had too many other, more important things to do and missed the deadline....

You're obviously trolling once again and maybe you're looking for some entertainment so, just for fun: what is the problem if there is no problem?

For those looking for a more balanced take in this distribution challenge:

https://www.ft.com/content/a1bb5262-0628-401b-b5cc-66a64c17130b

(note: i'm busy today and don't plan to argue here. My second child is turning 23 today and am responsible for some of the planning; she's beautiful, gifted, graduating as an engineer this year, has a bright future and is quite liberal but hey! nobody's perfect.)

Congratulations to you and your daughter! What type of engineer?

My wife and I had antibody testing done last week and the test did not detect any.  Perhaps her Nov 19th covid-19 positive PCR test result was a false-positive?  So that stinks, it cancelled our Hawaii plans.  Whatever we had it drained our energy and made us dizzy just walking around.

Yesterday, my 12 yr old son reported chills, body aches, nasal congestion, felt as though a rash was coming on, and had a 101 fever.  So I'm off to get him tested today.  He was last at school on Tuesday, which was 5 days before these symptoms hit -- right on time.

@investor20

Any update on vitamin C?

Is it true that there are limitations on selling Zinc supplements in Canada now?

Interesting recent publication.  This is in French.  I used translator:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S015196382030627X

"During an epidemic of scabies in nursing homes where residents received oral IVM, we report its impact on Covid-19 which occurred in parallel."

"All the observed cases of COVID-19 in EHPAD-A "treated" by IVM were minor, without death during the study period, while residents of EHPAD "controls" (without IVM), matched according to age, number and socio-economic level, showed a higher frequency of COVID-19 and a higher mortality."

Sixty-nine residents (including resident-1) and 52 EHPAD-A staff received IVM: median age 90 years (84–94), 78.3% women, 98.6% at least one comorbidity at risk of Severe COVID-19.

There was one anectodal news about use of Ivermectin in Canada in a longterm healthcare center in a similar setting of using Ivermectin for scabies.  Below is the video.  Glad finally someone looked at it more formal research article.

Please listen to 2-6 minutes.  This is way back in June.

Only for discussion.. Not a suggestion for any treatment.  Please consult your doctor for any treatment

i just spent a few short minutes reviewing what you posted and will reply in short form.

-The vitamin question C question was because a champion of various alternative treatments, that you often refer to, used to (in the spring) suggest this was a miracle treatment. It seems the miracle has transmogrified.

-i don't follow zinc-supplement regulations that closely and my only relevant experience is when someone recently tried to sell me a radon detector for my basement (read about it, it's interesting). When i asked for independent thought time, the person suggested a zinc supplement as an alternative. And then i wondered.

-The ivermectin stuff is interesting. The MD in France who is the lead investigator is specialized in skin disease (and skin manifestations of sexually transmitted diseases) and has an interest in scabies (and automatically ivermectin; careful here: everything may look like a nail). She (et al) appears to be reasonable. i'm not sure why ivermectin has not been more studied and there may be some inertia from pharma for various reasons including limited profit potential but i don't see a material conspiracy. There are reasons why it could work and there are major reasons why it may not and the recommendation to go over and above observational and anecdotal evidence applies. As an aside, i was able to watch and listen to two short presentations of potential skin manifestations of covid since last April (dermatology). In the first one, many ideas were submitted (correlation) and, in the second, most correlated findings were simply that, correlated. Peer review can be a pain for career advancement.

-The youtube person is a dentist (who may have a vitiligo problem to attend to). Still, one has to hear (and analyze) what she says. She refers to anecdotal evidence for ivermectin.

---

@Gregmal

You may have noticed that this board has been drifting (to where?). It looks like removing the political threads may be a step in the right direction. Over time, i try to improve. How? By trying to include necessary and relevant information (room for improvement there). i wonder if it's worth trying to contribute in a way as to maintain the constructive aspect. However, i've become convinced that our respective senses of humor are not quite compatible (in most cases). Making friends in this competitive forum can only be an unexpected side effect. Near graduation, a mentor (i did not realize it then) expressed that first, you have to competent. What's second? It's up to you to figure out, he said. (people said he had been a real jerk at some point but he was hit by a nasty disease and then he asked to teach the ethics class)

---

@boilermaker75

i'm about to send you a private message.

My wife and I had antibody testing done last week and the test did not detect any.  Perhaps her Nov 19th covid-19 positive PCR test result was a false-positive?  So that stinks, it cancelled our Hawaii plans.  Whatever we had it drained our energy and made us dizzy just walking around.

Yesterday, my 12 yr old son reported chills, body aches, nasal congestion, felt as though a rash was coming on, and had a 101 fever.  So I'm off to get him tested today.  He was last at school on Tuesday, which was 5 days before these symptoms hit -- right on time.

My understanding is that PCR false positives should be close to zero, but that, in practice, this is not the case.

However, in practice, there are other ways that false positives can arise. Samples can get mixed up, software glitches can produce erroneous interpretations of test results, and mistakes can be made when entering or communicating data. Because of the high degree of duplication of the targeted genetic segments by PCR tests (which, depending on the number of duplication cycles run, can multiply an initially low concentration of these segments by a billion times or more), trace amounts of contamination can produce false-positive results that are indistinguishable from true positive results. Such minute levels of contamination can be extremely hard to control. False positives from contamination have been regularly documented in diagnostic PCR tests, including in the most highly regarded laboratories.

You probably know more about it than me, though. In any case, I wish your family stays well.

quote source:

https://www.icd10monitor.com/false-positives-in-pcr-tests-for-covid-19