Coronavirus

spartansaver

If this keeps up they will reach 3k in a week and then they do need to shut down, or risk of running out of hospital capacity.

Or perhaps they take it more serious now and avoid all that trouble.

Don't be ridiculous--the obvious solution is to listen to the President, and not test at all. Then there won't be any cases.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I never supported Swedish approach.

OK, I was assuming when on April 24, when you said, "Take Sweden with low mitigation efforts.  They had 213 deaths/million or 72000 deaths for 340 million (US population)….  The 500K deaths prediction by Dr. Fauci is off with Sweden by 7 fold, let alone Japan by 500 fold, both countries with low mitigation efforts", it meant that you thought the Swedish approach was a good one.  I guess maybe you threw it in there as random trivia, not to imply that their low mitigation approach was effective. Perhaps, though you were referencing Sweden and Japan in parallel ways in the same sentence, you simply just didn't get around to saying that the Swedish low mitigation approach would eventually prove a bad idea, while the Japan approach was actually the path that you preferred....

(I actually think the main reason for Japan's success relative to most other places is the culture.)

It is not true that lockdown is a conservative approach.  Following existing protocols for other respiratory diseases is a conservative approach.  Washing hands, masks, ventilation, safe distance are established methods for respiratory diseases.

Lockdown is not a conservative approach.  Its costs on society are pretty high.

Yeah, I think you have a different definition of "conservative approach" than me.

I don't dispute that the costs of a lockdown are pretty high. However, I think that, when it becomes apparent that the worst pandemic in 100 years is hitting, I don't think the conservative approach is to ignore the people who have spent decades of their lives studying how it mitigate the problem, just to go with the same strategy that is used for diseases that aren't "once in a century" pandemics. Rather, I think that's the "gamble with other people's lives" approach.

You are very good at taking a statement and giving completely wrong context.

That was an argument against the hype of "greatest pandemic ever". Even if you (I was not advocating not doing anything) did not do anything like Sweden, the deaths are far less than hyped numbers.

As I said 1.6 million people die EVERY YEAR from TB alone.  So, enough of this "greatest panademic ever".  No one even blinked their eyes for 1.6 million dying off TB every year and by the way, many TB deaths are children and otherwise healthy people.

My argument was then and now too is hand washing, ventilaton, masks, safe distance is adequate measures and shutting down the economy is not needed.

Many data points have since support my stand.  In NY we have seen data that people staying at home are most infected as per antibody studies.  Other studies also showed being outside is better than being inside.

My view points have not changed with political conveniences.  I did not advocate one day sending police with summons because their kids are playing outside and other day say its ok for protesters day after day, being close to each other, shouting slogans and people look at each other when they shout slogans....with direct droplets going from one person to other.

There are many protesters without masks and no one is wearing masks continuously.  It just too difficult to wear masks continuously all day.

Californians must wear face masks in public under coronavirus order issued by Newsom

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-18/california-mandatory-face-masks-statewide-order-coronavirus-gavin-newsom

This is 100% the right move. This will help us beat this terrible virus. The science is unanimous - if we all wear masks, we slow down the spread and can reopen safely. It’s not a political issue. Anyone making it a political issue is an absolute moron who can’t read.

Ea4L1aGXkAA-pcj?format=jpg&name=large

In your mind, picture the area under the curve as human suffering + economic damage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/19/coronavirus-ex-trump-fda-chief-says-requiring-masks-is-not-denying-people-their-liberty.html

That’s no second wave, it’s a thoroughly mismanaged first wave. Who would have though elections can have such severe consequences? Where are Jared, Pence, and Ivanka when u need them? MAGA!

Ea4L1aGXkAA-pcj?format=jpg&name=large

In your mind, picture the area under the curve as human suffering + economic damage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/19/coronavirus-ex-trump-fda-chief-says-requiring-masks-is-not-denying-people-their-liberty.html

That’s no second wave, it’s a thoroughly mismanaged first wave. Who would have though elections can have such severe consequences? Where are Jared, Pence, and Ivanka when u need them? MAGA!

Yeah, thanks for cracking down on the hundreds of mob/protest gatherings to spread your disease.

Yeah, thanks for cracking down on the hundreds of mob/protest gatherings to spread your disease.

Aren't they planning a large political rally tomorrow?

I think protesting police brutality and corruption and racism may be a cause worth taking risks for, but getting on stage to get some narcissistic supply may not rise to that level...

I think protesting police brutality and corruption and racism may be a cause worth taking risks for, but getting on stage to get some narcissistic supply may not rise to that level...

Of course!  The Hypocrisy of the LEFT speaks once again!  Justify the nobility of rioting/protesting/looting in addition to a dozen murders while spreading the disease unchecked!

Beautiful! Thank you.!

Arizona and Florida are starting to look bad. But has anyone taken a look at Oklahoma? They printed 450 cases which is a 74% increase over the previous all time high. Which was... the day before.

Of course!  The Hypocrisy of the LEFT speaks once again!  Justify the nobility of rioting/protesting/looting in addition to a dozen murders while spreading the disease unchecked!

Beautiful! Thank you.!

See this is the problem with these people. They are selfish and have zero grasp on principles. Do we allow large gatherings? Or not? Plain and simple, yes or no. Do you allow people to fly pieces of cloth, yes or no. Do we believe every women who makes a sex assault claim? Yes or no? And thats it. But to these people, its yes here, no there...yes to what I feel, no to you....oh I agree with this so yes, I dont like that so no....

Arizona and Florida are starting to look bad. But has anyone taken a look at Oklahoma? They printed 450 cases which is a 74% increase over the previous all time high. Which was... the day before.

Of course! We all know the biggest protests in the U.S took place in Oklahoma/AZ/FL, not in places seeing decline like NY! CHAZ is contributing to cases in OK, FL, AZ too!

This fits neatly into my impervious political narrative of shunting blame onto leftist ANTIFA or Cuomo or whoever else away from my precious POTUS! And now we need a massive, maskless indoor rally to celebrate!

See this is the problem with these people. They are selfish and have zero grasp on principles. Do we allow large gatherings? Or not? Plain and simple, yes or no. Do you allow people to fly pieces of cloth, yes or no. Do we believe every women who makes a sex assault claim? Yes or no? And thats it. But to these people, its yes here, no there...yes to what I feel, no to you....oh I agree with this so yes, I dont like that so no....

To the man with a hammer...

Of course! We all know the biggest protests in the U.S took place in Oklahoma/AZ/FL, not in places seeing decline like NY! CHAZ is contributing to cases in OK, FL, AZ too!

This fits neatly into my impervious political narrative of shunting blame onto leftist ANTIFA or Cuomo or whoever else away from my precious POTUS! And now we need a massive, maskless indoor rally to celebrate!

That's the point.  If we aren't seeing increases where the protests took place, that calls into question the benefits of the enforced lockdowns, no?

Separately, Oklahoma, Arizona and Florida have a loooong way to go until they can boast the performance of Andrew Cuomo, who has presided over the worst, by far, outcome of any state in the Union.  His policy of forcing nursing homes to take back Covid+ patients turned those Nursing Homes into killing fields. 

This disease hates the elderly and infirm.  While I can give a pass to the bad decisions made in March and April given lack of information and a belief in the precautionary principle, it is somewhere between madness and sheer stupidity in June not to realize our mistakes and adjust accordingly.

That's the point.  If we aren't seeing increases where the protests took place, that calls into question the benefits of the enforced lockdowns, no?

The EU and rest of world would like to have a word with you. I know, lockdowns (after all the precaution was botched from January thru March) only work outside the U.S. for some reason...

The benefit of locking some states down over others may now fade away because some states went their own way and we have no rational federal/centralized leadership that could have led a coordinated response. It’s a hoax like the Flu anyway so it doesn’t matter.

Also so strange that it is surging in places like FL and AZ now when I was told this has been widespread since January. Maybe none of the millions who had it back in January made it to those states till now...

The EU and rest of world would like to have a word with you. I know, lockdowns (after all the precaution was botched from January thru March) only work outside the U.S. for some reason...

The benefit of locking some states down over others may now fade away because some states went their own way and we have no rational federal/centralized leadership that could have led a coordinated response. It’s a hoax like the Flu anyway so it doesn’t matter.

Also so strange that it is surging in places like FL and AZ now when I was told this has been widespread since January. Maybe none of the millions who had it back in January made it to those states till now...

Actually, there appears to be no correlation between actual social isolation and covid deaths. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYJsd8iUcAEsSCS?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1264596818429505537

El Gato Malo has done some really interesting analysis that I would suggest people check out.