Favorite Book Read in 2019

Guest cherzeca

Above suggestions of Thinking in Bets & Education of a Value investor are books I have enjoyed.

For 2019, my most interesting reads were:

Fiction : A gentleman in Moscow - read the whole book with a bemused smile on my face. Favourite line : when protagonist was asked what his profession was he replied "It is not the business of gentlemen to have professions".

Non Fiction: Deep Medicine by Eric Topol - role of AI in healthcare of tomorrow and LifeSpan: Why we Age and Why we don't have to by David Sinclair - leading Harvard biologist on why ageing is a disease and how it can be treated.

Guest cherzeca

I don't understand peoples love for Thinking in Bets. Maybe its because I come from a poker background myself but I found it very elementary and basic even as applied to investing.

it's like when you go to a museum and you say, I could have painted that...but you didn't

I agree with A gentleman in Moscow. Can't really explain why, but it was different from most books I've read, and I wish there were more like it.

Another favorite in fiction: Machines like me

non-fiction: The Gene: An Intimate History

The practice of adaptive leadership: Tools and tactics for changing your organization and the world - Ronald A. Heifetz, Marty Linksy, Alexander Grashow

https://www.amazon.com/Practice-Adaptive-Leadership-Changing-%20%20Organization/dp/1422105768/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417455266&sr=1-%20%201&keywords=practice+of+adaptive+leadership

https://cambridge-leadership.com/our-insights/

The market is an expensive place to find oneself, as wise ones have said. This book greatly helped me develop self-awareness, and develop a leadership course for medical students while at it. A must read for aspiring leaders and those interested in understanding self and diagnosing and impacting systems.

Above suggestions of Thinking in Bets & Education of a Value investor are books I have enjoyed.

For 2019, my most interesting reads were:

Fiction : A gentleman in Moscow - read the whole book with a bemused smile on my face. Favourite line : when protagonist was asked what his profession was he replied "It is not the business of gentlemen to have professions".

Non Fiction: Deep Medicine by Eric Topol - role of AI in healthcare of tomorrow and LifeSpan: Why we Age and Why we don't have to by David Sinclair - leading Harvard biologist on why ageing is a disease and how it can be treated.

Thanks for sharing. I'm curious if you read the non-fiction ones or listened on Audible etc. Putting the non-fiction ones in my 2020 reading list :)

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. Longest book I've read at 800+ pages of very dense reading, but it was amazing. The book persuaded me that George Washington may be the single most important person in American history.

I've read two of Chernow's books, Hamilton and the House of Morgan. Both superb.

My daughter fell in love with the play Hamilton seeing it several times including taking me once. So I gave her a signed first edition of Hamilton. She reciprocated by giving me all Chernow's other books.

I was thinking Washington would be my next one.

I got to go see Chernow interviewed by Brian Lamb. Chernow started it by rapping one of the songs from Hamilton.