Is Trump still on track to raise Chinese tariff on December 15th?

muscleman

He said a few times lately that the remaining half of Chinese import will get the tariff raise on December 15th, if no deal is reached.

With strong job numbers this week, Trump doesn't seem to have any reason to back down, and I don't see any reason that the Chinese bureaucrats who acted foolishly throughout the negotiation will suddenly get smart.

Therefore I don't expect a deal by December 15th. What do you guys think? The market action this week seems to suggest that it doesn't care anymore.

Yea I'd say if history is any indication, we're due for a little turbulence. Its rather easy to see where he is coming from when you have remarks describing the market gains as "house money" and "room to play"...and he still has other people to blame as well, in fact more than ever currently...so I'd be surprised if there isn't a modest temper tantrum on the horizon.

Yea I'd say if history is any indication, we're due for a little turbulence. Its rather easy to see where he is coming from when you have remarks describing the market gains as "house money" and "room to play"...and he still has other people to blame as well, in fact more than ever currently...so I'd be surprised if there isn't a modest temper tantrum on the horizon.

6 months of pain/stagnation and then “positive trade talks” to rally the market going into the election. What else is he going to campaign on at this point?