Login over http

wisowis

I see the site switched to https.

It seems like comment editing is broken though. I can post comment. But when I try to post edited comment, "Save" button throws up warning and pressing "Continue" does not post the edited changes.

Whew!  Now I can sleep well at night because obviously I use the same password for COBF as I do for all of my financial accounts!  Given the angst and hand-wringing about HTTPS, it would seem that I am one of many who just uses one single password for all of my accounts.  :P

SJ

The problem is that increasingly, all browsers will stop supporting plaintext connections, so the switch had to be made if only for that reason.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are somewhat on the topic of forum improvements, there is one item that has been bugging me for a while.

When posting images using the (img)(/img) tags, many times the resulting image size is simply too large to be displayed reasonable in a browser window. So instead of actually inserting the image I would just paste the link, which opens up another browser tab.

It's not a big deal, but is it possible to incorporate some scaling factor to reduce the size by X% and therefore make it comfortably visible?

I'm not sure if it's even feasible but I just thought I'd mention it.

While we are somewhat on the topic of forum improvements, there is one item that has been bugging me for a while.

When posting images using the (img)(/img) tags, many times the resulting image size is simply too large to be displayed reasonable in a browser window. So instead of actually inserting the image I would just paste the link, which opens up another browser tab.

It's not a big deal, but is it possible to incorporate some scaling factor to reduce the size by X% and therefore make it comfortably visible?

You can put size tags on it.  img width=400 or something like that. 

Example here is a picture with width=400:

323394028_ef62985d59_b.jpg

here it is with no width tag:

You can put size tags on it.  img width=400 or something like that. 

Example here is a picture with width=400:

here it is with no width tag:

that guy has an honest face

This mostly happened to me with music forums, back in the day.

Usually, they went from an old-school but super functional and fast boards to more "modern" but really slow and with lots of white space and low information-density things that were made to look good on a static mockup but not be clicked around on 100 times a day, and then died..

Don't suppose you were on the Hollertronix board?

I've always had a slight curiosity if there's any crossover between the music boards I hung out on, and here.

Usually, they went from an old-school but super functional and fast boards to more "modern" but really slow and with lots of white space and low information-density things that were made to look good on a static mockup but not be clicked around on 100 times a day, and then died..

I've always had a slight curiosity if there's any crossover between the music boards I hung out on, and here.

No, not familiar with that one.

What kind of discussion is going on at these music boards?

Naturally, such kind of exchange of information is subject to all kinds of censorship here on CoBF. Don't get any ideas! - You stay here!

I don't add much to financial discussions here (surprise), but I get a ton of

value from reading all you guys, so I'll be hanging around for a while, and

occasionally throwing my bent, f'ed up, 2 pennies in.

I'm curious about what kind of music boards Liberty visits.

Are there some good theoretical & practical discussions going on about

popular music of the present & past (I'd find that super helpful & would

be able to contribute bigly)?

Naturally, such kind of exchange of information is subject to all kinds of censorship here on CoBF. Don't get any ideas! - You stay here!

I don't add much to financial discussions here (surprise), but I get a ton of

value from reading all you guys, so I'll be hanging around for a while, and

occasionally throwing my bent, f'ed up, 2 pennies in.

I'm curious about what kind of music boards Liberty visits.

Are there some good theoretical & practical discussions going on about

popular music of the present & past (I'd find that super helpful & would

be able to contribute bigly)?

I don't frequent music forums anymore, but I used to be very active on a few in the late 90s and early 2000s. Some were about underground metal ((death metal, black metal, grindcore, industrial, various scandinavian sub-genres, etc), and some were more general, covering folk, jazz, classical, electronic, rock, fusion, prog, etc, and all the various crossbreedings.

Mostly about sharing with others good albums we discovered, getting recommendations, reviewing albums, etc.

Here's a great forum with up to date discussions about Yamaha keys & synths.

http://www.motifator.com

I've been researching a keyboard upgrade for months & have settled on the MOXF8 instead of the newer MODX8.

For some reason, Yamaha cut the sequencer out of the MODX & you have to use a DAW for this function.

The MOXF still has an internal sequencer so there's no need to have a laptop open during performances.

The sequencer allows you to specify voice changes on the keyboard at specific measures / beats.

This is a really nice feature to have & you can get it for $1000 +/-  new or used.

Yamaha beats Roland IMO unless you want that fully weighted spongy key bed feel.

Personally, I like the lighter "graded hammer action" of the Yamaha keyboards.

The Yamaha key bed is in between a fully weighted & synth action.

Anyone on here play?

Guitar, bass, keys, other?

I'd love to work up a Weird Al styled set list with rejiggered finance related lyrics, for Warren & Charlie.

We could spam the crap out of Omaha until they relent & let us play at an AGM!

Here's a great forum with up to date discussions about Yamaha keys & synths.

http://www.motifator.com

I've been researching a keyboard upgrade for months & have settled on the MOXF8 instead of the newer MODX8.

For some reason, Yamaha cut the sequencer out of the MODX & you have to use a DAW for this function.

The MOXF still has an internal sequencer so there's no need to have a laptop open during performances.

The sequencer allows you to specify voice changes on the keyboard at specific measures / beats.

This is a really nice feature to have & you can get it for $1000 +/-  new or used.

Yamaha beats Roland IMO unless you want that fully weighted spongy key bed feel.

Personally, I like the lighter "graded hammer action" of the Yamaha keyboards.

The Yamaha key bed is in between a fully weighted & synth action.

Anyone on here play?

Guitar, bass, keys, other?

I'd love to work up a Weird Al styled set list with rejiggered finance related lyrics, for Warren & Charlie.

We could spam the crap out of Omaha until they relent & let us play at an AGM!

I used to play bass a long time ago (like mid 1980s to early 1990s) and fooled around with piano/keyboards, but wouldn't say I ever played keys all that well.  I haven't picked up my bass in years but I still have all of my mid-1980s equipment: an Ibanez RB bass, Roland Juno 60 synth, and 3 Peavey TKO amps with 15" woofers (I used 2 wired together for my BASS and the other for my Juno 60).  I played in a cover band in highschool and 1st 2 years of college and we played out a little in southeastern MA/providence RI area, but mostly just jammed for fun or at parties.  I moved away for my 3rd year of college and haven't really played since.

I used to hang out on harmony central a LOT back in the late 90s early 2000s.  Same as everyone else, reviewing albums, talking about dream band setups.

In 99-2000 I was on a really active Pink Floyd and Rush newsgroup.  They orchestrated meetups and live events.

My brother took it to the next level, learned bass, became a professional, toured the world, played on the Tonight Show etc.  Now he has a nice side business buying and selling vintage gear.  He'll do normal stuff (vintage guitar/bass) here and there, but makes coin on vintage synths and really weird vintage recording gear.  He's still active on a ton of gear and music sites.

He has some awesome stories.  I remember one, he sold some vintage amp or bass to a forum member.  The buyer was relatively close so my brother said he'd deliver it.  He ends up at some law firm, a partner purchased the amp.  The guy was so excited he plugged the thing in in his office, hooked up a bass on the wall and they started jamming out in the middle of the work day.  What I love about that story is the buyer and my brother would not be a natural connection, but they had a shared interest and a great time.

Another story about gear.  My brother left music and went into sales, he had a boss who had a sizable guitar flipping business on the side.  He purchased Mexican Strats on craigslist, cleaned them and flipped them on craigslist at a 30-50% markup.  He cleared $2-3k a weekend doing this in LA.  I believe he purchased during the week and sold on the weekends.

I used to hang out on harmony central a LOT back in the late 90s early 2000s.  Same as everyone else, reviewing albums, talking about dream band setups.

In 99-2000 I was on a really active Pink Floyd and Rush newsgroup.  They orchestrated meetups and live events.

My brother took it to the next level, learned bass, became a professional, toured the world, played on the Tonight Show etc.  Now he has a nice side business buying and selling vintage gear.  He'll do normal stuff (vintage guitar/bass) here and there, but makes coin on vintage synths and really weird vintage recording gear.  He's still active on a ton of gear and music sites.

He has some awesome stories.  I remember one, he sold some vintage amp or bass to a forum member.  The buyer was relatively close so my brother said he'd deliver it.  He ends up at some law firm, a partner purchased the amp.  The guy was so excited he plugged the thing in in his office, hooked up a bass on the wall and they started jamming out in the middle of the work day.  What I love about that story is the buyer and my brother would not be a natural connection, but they had a shared interest and a great time.

Another story about gear.  My brother left music and went into sales, he had a boss who had a sizable guitar flipping business on the side.  He purchased Mexican Strats on craigslist, cleaned them and flipped them on craigslist at a 30-50% markup.  He cleared $2-3k a weekend doing this in LA.  I believe he purchased during the week and sold on the weekends.

Cool stories. Thanks for sharing.

I played guitar for a while, but I always was more an appreciator of music than a musician. I think my syneshtesia might make it harder for me to hear/visualize pitch the way others do (it's not so ordered for me, more a jumble of shapes and colors), and that was always a hindrance learning more advanced techniques and figuring things by ear. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny story about playing music.  I'm a chip designer and the small group I was a member of in the late 90s was half in New England and half the people in Texas.

This was inside of a very large US company, which is now a Fortune 500 company.  Anyway the Texas half of the group had this idea that only musicians made good engineers, so whenever they interviewed anyone they would casually ask if they played any instruments and would only hire people who did.  Word eventually got out that they were doing this and they were ordered quite strongly to stop it.

My son plays piano. He actually plays on a Roland F-120 digital piano. It worked well for us since we moved 2 times (first time from the west coast to the East coast). I chose it, because it was had the most piano like action I could find on a digital piano for the low cost.

He also plays Sax (Alto sax) for a coupe of years and plays at the schools Jazz band. He got the hang of it quite good (played at an open Mike night at school) and recently hit us up for a better Sax. He has a Yamaha Yas23 , which we bought used when hr started and now seems ready for a better instrument

Funny story about playing music.  I'm a chip designer and the small group I was a member of in the late 90s was half in New England and half the people in Texas.

This was inside of a very large US company, which is now a Fortune 500 company.  Anyway the Texas half of the group had this idea that only musicians made good engineers, so whenever they interviewed anyone they would casually ask if they played any instruments and would only hire people who did.  Word eventually got out that they were doing this and they were ordered quite strongly to stop it.

Was it AMD?

Guitar flipping makes it sound fun.

Cool stories. Thanks for sharing.

I played guitar for a while, but I always was more an appreciator of music than a musician. I think my syneshtesia might make it harder for me to hear/visualize pitch the way others do (it's not so ordered for me, more a jumble of shapes and colors), and that was always a hindrance learning more advanced techniques and figuring things by ear. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pitches are a bitch.

Was it AMD?

No.  I still work at the company (or rather I should say, I now work there again), so I'd rather not say.  Ticker does start with an A though.  Followed by a D and an I.  That team in Texas that was doing this no longer exists though, they didn't survive the 2000 crash.

Was it AMD?

No.  I still work at the company (or rather I should say, I now work there again), so I'd rather not say.  Ticker does start with an A though.  Followed by a D and an I.  That team in Texas that was doing this no longer exists though, they didn't survive the 2000 crash.

Oh, so you're an analog engineer. Nice. We should talk about that at some point. Also interesting how management in the space seems to be pretty rational about capital allocation..