How much is data worth?

mcliu

Clearly companies like FB, Google are making tons of $ off of their user's data. In exchange, users get to use their search/map/social-media tools for free. But is that enough compensation? Should they be paying users to use/sell their data? Thoughts?

Guest cherzeca

One person’s data is worthless. It’s only worth something in very large aggregate.

agree. but since each individual is part of a platform network and that network is monetizing the aggregate, each individual should get his/her proportionate share of the aggregate value

One person’s data is worthless. It’s only worth something in very large aggregate.

agree. but since each individual is part of a platform network and that network is monetizing the aggregate, each individual should get his/her proportionate share of the aggregate value

You do. It's called using a "free" service

You get a service in exchange. Don't use the service and they don't get your data. I'm not saying there aren't issue with how the data is collected, what is done with it, security, creepiness, data portability, etc. That's all discussions that should be had. But the whole "I should be paid for my data" idea is a misunderstanding of the situation, mostly driven by greed, because people think their data is more valuable than it is, and because they fail to realize that the free service they're getting is providing them with a ton of consumer surplus over the value of their individual data.

Also: https://stratechery.com/2018/data-factories/

Facebook should give folks a way to opt out (make it legally required) in exchange for a small fee. Maybe $20 a year or so would do it. If you're from a low income area, the fee could be less.

Solely on principal, I have a hard time reconciling companies being forced to allow people to use their products in certain ways. Isn't it simple enough. If you don't like it, dont use it? I have never had a Facebook though so maybe I'm just out of touch.

Solely on principal, I have a hard time reconciling companies being forced to allow people to use their products in certain ways. Isn't it simple enough. If you don't like it, dont use it? I have never had a Facebook though so maybe I'm just out of touch.

I normally agree but it's almost like a utility now. The electric company can charge me whatever they want to but they're restricted. We don't really "need" facebook or electricity but that's how people communicate now.

Clearly companies like FB, Google are making tons of $ off of their user's data. In exchange, users get to use their search/map/social-media tools for free. But is that enough compensation? Should they be paying users to use/sell their data? Thoughts?

Pay users to use their apps/sites/tools?  Interesting idea.  I would say that Google is already effectively giving users a pile of benefits that are not strictly remunerative for the company.  So, sure they spy on my when I surf, when I use google maps and Google Calendar, and they also read my e-mails to target advertising.  That's all great and profitable for them.  But, then they give me things like Google Voice, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Keep and a host of other tools where the data collection isn't particularly valuable.  Those latter apps/services don't offer much direct-value to Google, but they are value-added components to me, which convinces me to stay with the Google ecosystem. 

Do the services that don't collect much data from users adequately compensate users for contributing data through the services that spy on us?  On the net it's profitable for Google, but the existence of profit doesn't mean a voluntary exchange is unjust.

SJ

Microsoft has already tried paying users to use its service (Bing had a reward program). Didn't seem like it attracted enough people to make a dent in the non-paying products...

Bing has a reward program. I use it (both reward program and Bing). It's not $200M.

The US is one of the few countries without law governing how data of individuals are used. We are in good company in that respect - China and Russia don’t have any laws either.

This was actually a discussion as early as the 80‘s in Germany, when basic rules were developed. The EU now has laws, although the effectiveness is another matter.