The China Hustle

Gregmal

This was mentioned in another thread but deserves its own topic. Really great piece on the incredible events that took place shortly after the GFC. Really highlights why investors need to be flexible and open to making money in whatever setup presents itself rather than just remaining married to one strategy or philosophy. Been a fan of Dan David for sometime but really didn't know the full story behind his involvement here. My only surprise was that there wasn't any mentioning of Benjamin Wey who was quite possibly a bigger player than anyone mentioned in the documentary.

Loved this doc. One of the co's featured was my first investment ever... got done w the intelligent investor and was looking for net nets. Got burned by a fraud. First experience displaying and acknowledging cognitive dissonance as well, which has been helpful going forward.

Good research, long or short, should eventually be rewarded.

Thanks for starting this thread. This is a really important documentary that all investors should watch.

More than just investment lessons, it also helps to paint the big picture. It's a reflection of the systematic failures in regulation and the ability of Chinese fraudsters to exploit the system.

While the documentary is a few years old, the content is even more relevant today with larger Chinese listings ($2 trillion market cap?). Meanwhile, investor protection still remains weak as ever. And it's not just frauds, but also legitimate companies but "owned" through offshore VIE structures. Minority investors really need to think whether these structures will protect or exploit their interests.

Loved this doc. One of the co's featured was my first investment ever... got done w the intelligent investor and was looking for net nets. Got burned by a fraud. First experience displaying and acknowledging cognitive dissonance as well, which has been helpful going forward.

I have to watch this to see if one of the company that I bought, that is now bankrupt, is featured too!