pink sheet/ small cap stocks

mjm

Currently, TD Ameritrade is reasonably pink friendly these days, but years ago they weren't (for me). IB is hit or miss, but won't let you transfer them in (unless you bring over 5M in assets).  In my experience, broker policy changes without rhyme or reason, so best to have accounts at a few different brokers.  There is probably no best broker for pinks, just least bad ones.  Until recently, Merrilledge was making me call in to place orders (of shares I had bought through them!), but a couple months ago, they starting letting me place those orders online again. Its random.

Merrilledge makes me get an authorization code for certain stocks that are international but thinly listed in the US (Fairfax and Fairfax India US listed shares), and certain smaller companies even if they are not pink sheet companies (Intrepid Potash). I put in the order, it sends a code to my phone and I have to enter it manually.  The one time I owned a company that did so badly that it became a pink sheet company, I had to call to be able to sell it. A bit of a pain, but not enough to  make me switch brokers.