Next Berkshire acquisition speculation

gfp

6 hours ago, yesman182 said:

I agree.

I have a dumb questions to play devils advocate. I understand Ally is a bank, but is it a bank because it keeps deposits or because it issues loans. Could Berkshire buy Ally and then sell the online bank and CC business and brokerage business, while retaining the  insurance and loan book and the ability to generate more loans using Berkshires Capital? What would another bank pay for $150 Billion in 90% insured deposits at a time like this? 

I know nothing about Ally, but you mention $150 billion in deposits.  I assume those deposits are funding their loans.  Berkshire would need to fund the loans if they sell the deposits.  If you assume a bank can earn 1% ROA, they could make $1.5 billion on those deposits.  Maybe a 10 multiple ($15B)?  I would assume a lower multiple as you don't know if you will retain all of the deposits.

• 3 weeks later...

Would Berkshire ever buy Tupperware? It seems like that is a brand that has been strugeeling for some time. My mother-in-law has a ton of there products from decades ago. They seem to really last, but the idea of selling things at Tupperware parties seems too old fashion and the Tupperware website has really high shipping cost. I don't know what pampered chef is up to, ( I have never purchased anything from them). But it seems like with such a similar model they could be combined.  It would be a meaningless tuck-in acquisition. Since the stock price fell in half today I thought I would bring it up.

3 minutes ago, yesman182 said:

Would Berkshire ever buy Tupperware? It seems like that is a brand that has been strugeeling for some time. My mother-in-law has a ton of there products from decades ago. They seem to really last, but the idea of selling things at Tupperware parties seems too old fashion and the Tupperware website has really high shipping cost. I don't know what pampered chef is up to, ( I have never purchased anything from them). But it seems like with such a similar model they could be combined.  It would be a meaningless tuck-in acquisition. Since the stock price fell in half today I thought I would bring it up.

My wife just bought a set of Tupperware at Target.  It looks and feels just like the stuff we had when I was a kid in the 70s/80s.  Apparently you don't have to go to a party to buy it anymore.

https://www.target.com/p/tupperware-heritage-get-it-all-set-30pc-set/-/A-86507159?preselect=85452290#lnk=sametab

Edited by rkbabang

I am old enough to remember Tupperware parties too, but I think this brand is in a slow terminal death spiral. Also, it’s just my guess that Pampered Chef (which was supposedly bought for ~$900M in 2002) was a bust too. Revenue estimates differ and seem to be in the $200-$350M ballpark which is not a good show for something bought 20 years ago for $900M.

2D92409C-6AAF-4838-933B-283824B69278.jpeg

https://archive.md/G8MZu

TOKYO -- Warren Buffett told Nikkei in an interview on Tuesday that he intends to add to his investments in Japanese stocks, saying he is "very proud" of his holdings in companies including the nation's top five trading groups.

Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway disclosed in August 2020 that it acquired slightly more than 5% each in Japan's top five trading houses, which are known in Japan as sogo shosha, themselves investment companies. 

"We're very proud of that," Buffett told Nikkei in Tokyo, saying he would meet with the companies this week "to really just have a discussion around their businesses and emphasize our support."

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N177QS/history/20230409/2140Z/KOMA/RJTT

If I was a 92 year old I wouldn't be flying 12 hours across the pacific and dealing with the jet-lag unless I had a good reason. Granted having 1 of 3 Netjet Global 7500s doesn't hurt.

Edited by Gamecock-YT

Nice plane - certainly makes that trip easier!  Warren and Greg Abel will be on CNBC tomorrow morning, being interviewed by Becky Quick off and on for the entire show.  

Nice to see Greg putting his mark on things by installing his own two executives to run Pilot and now meeting with each of the Japanese trading houses alongside Warren.  There are plenty of opportunities for these five Japanese companies and Berkshire Hathaway to do business together.  Doesn't hurt to show up in-country when you are trying to put together a yen bond sale either!

I do think these companies were the reason Warren omitted the list of the 15 largest equity investments in the annual letter.  Hopefully the list will return next year.

2 hours ago, gfp said:

Nice plane - certainly makes that trip easier!  Warren and Greg Abel will be on CNBC tomorrow morning, being interviewed by Becky Quick off and on for the entire show.  

Nice to see Greg putting his mark on things by installing his own two executives to run Pilot and now meeting with each of the Japanese trading houses alongside Warren.  There are plenty of opportunities for these five Japanese companies and Berkshire Hathaway to do business together.  Doesn't hurt to show up in-country when you are trying to put together a yen bond sale either!

I do think these companies were the reason Warren omitted the list of the 15 largest equity investments in the annual letter.  Hopefully the list will return next year.

My own prediction: they will bring Mr. Buffett to the best restaurant in Japan and they will serve sashimi made of $1 million dollar fish, and Mr. Buffett will want a cheese burger.

5 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

My own prediction: they will bring Mr. Buffett to the best restaurant in Japan and they will serve sashimi made of $1 million dollar fish, and Mr. Buffett will want a cheese burger.

Take him to Mos Burger

😋

or any American fast food franchises in Japan. They're so much better than the ones we have here in the good ol' USA.