Next Berkshire acquisition speculation

gfp

I've been saying he could pull off a deal for ExxonMobil by the time the deal would close.  I think that's a realistic 'stretch' goal.  Boeing is possible but unlikely at current valuation (but I would be happy to be proven wrong next month..)

How big can Buffett go? I have my thoughts but would love some feedback.

How big can Buffett go? I have my thoughts but would love some feedback.

MSFT maybe?  Gates taking over as Chairman of the Board and Buffet remaining CEO until is no longer able then use whatever succession plan is already in place. And Nadella still running Microsoft.

returning to the topic of sub-trillion-dollar acquisition speculation - Berkshire and/or Berkshire with 3G would be realistic buyers of Thyssenkrupp's Elevator business [ 8 Billion Euros in revenue, 50,000 employees, speculated $20B USD market cap ].  But, of course, the usual consortiums of private equity folks will likely be willing to bid higher. 

https://www.ft.com/content/490b7c12-1846-11ea-9ee4-11f260415385

How many years is it, since Mr. Buffet & Mr. Munger had an exchange at the AGM about the size of the next large acquisition? [Two years, three years, or perhaps even more?] What were those gents then talking about? [if I remember correctly the talk was in the triple digits of USD B by Mr. Munger, combined with a good deal of speculative ramblings, based on "Who knows what we'll do!" - [& mind you!]] - If I remember correctly, Mr. Munger implied something in the three digit range of USD B.

Where are we now? -Please put away those something USD ~20 B for potentiential insurance claims in a stressed situation, which leaves you around USD ~100B in acquisition capacity.

- - - o 0 o o - - -

What is there not to like, if you're patient? [patience certainly required!]

- - - o 0 o - - -

Somehow, I think of it as a geriatric at the age ~90, surveilling and scouting an African Savannah, dressed [naturally] in Khaki Safari dress [with a Khaki hat to provide shadow for the face], scouting the area ..., - moving the sunglasses up on the hat, lips tight, stone face & snake eyed - just pretty un-emotional, & just waiting ... .

-You better stay out the line behind him, because his gear is not really [any longer] an elephant gun, more like a Bazooka! No need to get smoked and burned while standing behind him!

• 3 weeks later...

Cassius - when Carrefour was selling its 10% (?) stake in Costco back in the 1990s, Berkshire had the opportunity and passed due to Buffett's aversion to retail, despite Charlie's support for it.

File that in the errors of omission stack.

LOL 10% of Costo's market cap is just shy of Carrefour's market cap.

File that under boneheaded moves.

• 4 weeks later...

Cassius - when Carrefour was selling its 10% (?) stake in Costco back in the 1990s, Berkshire had the opportunity and passed due to Buffett's aversion to retail, despite Charlie's support for it.

File that in the errors of omission stack.

LOL 10% of Costo's market cap is just shy of Carrefour's market cap.

File that under boneheaded moves.

Just peak to trough from the financial crisis to date, COST is almost 20% annualized not including dividends. Sigh....

Of the 75,000,000 shares of GM held:

26,994,000 shares are pension fund holdings.

48,006,000 are for the benefit of BRK shareholders.

Source: 13G/A filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1067983/000119312520038354/0001193125-20-038354-index.htm

We can presume that when the newspapers transfer to Lee, a number of the pension plan holdings will move with them and a new SC 13G/A will be filed.

I suggest he comes forward with a convertible preferred share deal for Boeing as he wears the flag. Meanwhile he tells the government that the financing is conditional on letting Boeing use its Ion engines. It is a good time to crush your competitors.