Berkshire Hathaway Energy

Guest longinvestor

Thanks, @Cigarbutt,

So it's indeed far from trivial how to move forward from here for BHE, based on capital allocation, based on reason.

Just to post some facts related to my own home bias, ref. your post :

Areas :

Denmark : 42,952 km2 [ex. areas of Greenland and Faroe Islands]

California : 423,970 km2

Oregon : 254,810 km2.

Next one add a new dimension : Total population.

Then one add population density, and maps of how it's distributed, etc. etc.

- - - o 0 o - - -

There is a lot to do! -But if the involved americans aren't going to pay for what they will get, they will get exactly that nothing! In a way, that's fine with me.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

So it's indeed far from trivial how to move forward from here for BHE, based on capital allocation, based on reason.

Thank you for the exchange. Obviously, the two of 'us' can't figure this out. 🙂

However, 'we' don't need to and can sleep well, assuming 'they' will eventually figure it out.

The idea behind going into energy decades ago included that assumption.

So much to discuss and so little time...

-----

Finally, 'we' have some snow in my area. Time to get opportunistically moving.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:30 PM, John Hjorth said:

Thanks, @RadMan24,

That's not so hard to do something about. Danish style solution is, - and has been for now about two decades, I think,  to dig - all powerlines - into the ground, smashing more than one flie in one slap : Not only [reverse?] fire protection, but also storm protection and frost protection [think Texas not so long ago].

Burying power lines is non-trivial, there are parasitic energy losses from the change in capacitance when the wire is placed closer to the earth. I believe this is not an issue in "distribution" lines, but for "transmission" lines it would require changing to a HVDC system which requires expensive equipment and limits distance. From what I have read it was "transmission" lines blamed for these fires.

There are numerous other factors to consider too; for example I believe above ground lines have been proven to be more resilient in seismically active areas, etc...

• 1 month later...

https://www.wsj.com/finance/warren-buffett-is-getting-dragged-into-the-real-estate-commissions-litigation-79696153?mod=finance_lead_pos3

More litigation at the energy business, not from wildfires, from Real Estate commissions.  Litigation risk for a large conglomerate is something I haven't factored into Berkshire, will do that with more care.  

Article mentions the below from Annual Report disclosure:

"Based on available information to date, HomeServices believes losses are likely to occur as a result of the jury verdict in the Burnett case and that such damages could be up to $5.4 billion, excluding attorneys’ fees, prejudgment interest and other costs subject to determination by the court. However, HomeServices is currently unable to reasonably estimate such loss due to, among other reasons, the joint and several nature of the liability and the early stages of the appeals process."

Edited by longterminvestor