Interesting WSJ piece on modernizing the US grid for renewables

Liberty

I saw that over the weekend. I found the story incredibly interesting. The research cited in the article estimating that the US could reduce carbon emissions by 80% by the year 2030 was shocking. It actually gives me optimism that the technical solutions for addressing the concerns of carbon emissions exist. What doesn't exist is overwhelming public support for making the transition to renewables. The story of the entrenched interests (Arkansas utility) stopping the new transmission lines demonstrates the challenges the US faces in doing anything big. I plan to read more about how Eisenhower was able to get the freeway system built. There must have been a lot of eminment domain instances. 

I saw that over the weekend. I found the story incredibly interesting. The research cited in the article estimating that the US could reduce carbon emissions by 80% by the year 2030 was shocking. It actually gives me optimism that the technical solutions for addressing the concerns of carbon emissions exist. What doesn't exist is overwhelming public support for making the transition to renewables. The story of the entrenched interests (Arkansas utility) stopping the new transmission lines demonstrates the challenges the US faces in doing anything big. I plan to read more about how Eisenhower was able to get the freeway system built. There must have been a lot of eminment domain instances.

The history behind the design and development of the interstate highway is fascinating.

The issue is still debated but part of the impetus for the infrastructure spend was national defense and fear of falling into a recession after the Korean War.

For President Eisenhower, the inspiration seems to have been a real-life experience crossing the US after WWI.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/in-1919-dwight-d-eisenhower-suffered-through-historys-worst-cross-country-road-trip

However, I would submit that the architect behind the grand plan was Francis V. Du Pont.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/96summer/p96su10b.cfm

Eminent domain transactions were numerous but the real challenge was (federal) funding. It looks like President Eisenhower insisted on a plan that involved a clear and sustainable path to reimburse issued bonds through a gas tax in order to avoid kicking the can down the highway.

Effective governance is also cyclical.

-----)Back to the US grid