Toronto Raptors in NBA Finals

shalab

Can you please control Drake!

Last year during the playoffs the NBA told Ujiri to control him and for a while it worked.  He rarely left his seat. 

I'm all for super fans but his taunting of the Bucks is an absolute embarrassment. It's sad when there's as much news about Drake's antics as there is for the Raptors making the finals for the first time.

I saw a video clip on Twitter yesterday from birds perspective & downtown Toronto - pretty amazing - It appeared like the area was *boiling* - tremendous noise from a huge crowd of happy people all over the place!

The whole story about Maple Leaf on Wikipedia is pretty amazing, too!

• 3 weeks later...

Good game Warriors.

Great win by the Raptors. Happy for them.

I'm a Warriors fan as well...but also Canadian...so it was win-win for me either way.  The first evolution of basketball in Canada was after Steve Nash won two MVP's and changed what Canadian basketball looks like...why a number of the top draft picks are now Canadian.  This will take it another step...probably bring a team back to Vancouver, continued development of Basketball Canada at the high school and college level.  Cheers!

Can't be happier. Destroy the little arrogant POS! Finish it tonight!

Cardboard

Steph Curry is probably one of the most humble players in basketball.  He puts all of his team-mates ahead of himself and all he cares about is winning rings.  To characterize him as an arrogant POS is ridiculous!  Cheers!

I was surprised by Cardboards comment. From my years of following him, he seems like a nice guy,  good teammate, and a family guy. Maybe he can be a bit cocky at times but I feel all stars have a bit of that.

I have trouble sometimes separating myself from disliking someone because they're good and dislike someone for a valid reason.  I've always disliked Curry because of how he carries himself on the court and the way he struts. 

But.....maybe that's just how he stays loose, in kind of a relaxed focus way.  He's in the moment during the play but when the whistle stops the play he loosens up and relaxes. 

Klay is all business all the time, whistle or no whistle he's ready.

One thing this series taught me is how much I do like and respect Curry and Klay and I must have only disliked them because they're good.

Draymond is still a dick though.  That won't ever change.

I was surprised by Cardboards comment. From my years of following him, he seems like a nice guy,  good teammate, and a family guy. Maybe he can be a bit cocky at times but I feel all stars have a bit of that.

I have trouble sometimes separating myself from disliking someone because they're good and dislike someone for a valid reason.  I've always disliked Curry because of how he carries himself on the court and the way he struts. 

But.....maybe that's just how he stays loose, in kind of a relaxed focus way.  He's in the moment during the play but when the whistle stops the play he loosens up and relaxes. 

One thing this series taught me is how much I do like and respect Curry and Klay and I must have only disliked them because they're good.

Haha. He's our d*.  8)

Yeah, it's not a strut.  He stays loose that way for shooting, and he plays like he's played since he was a young kid...just go out there and have fun.  And in press conferences he likes to keep the discussions to the game or his team mates...he doesn't like talking about himself.  So what people assume is arrogance or cockiness is just him trying not to denigrate his opponents, keep the limelight off himself, and focus on enjoying his career and games.  He's won two MVP's and nearly beat the Raptors without his bash brother (Thompson) hurting badly, while Durant is out for the next 10 months at least...he didn't pout after the loss and walk off the court like we've seen many players do in the playoffs, but went around and congratulated all of his opponents and team-mates.  His mentor and consultant is Steve Nash, while his coach is Steve Kerr...both great point guards of their generation...Curry is the heir to both.

With Draymond, you just wish he would keep quiet and play, but it's the fire in him that makes him such a great defender and clutch player.  There are no championships in Golden State without Curry, Thompson and Green...he's the type of player you need in the playoffs.  Cheers!

Sorry, but he does come across as arrogant/entitled. My perspective, living in the city where the Curry's are from is that Steph didn't used to be like that, not sure if it was that he got knocked down a couple of pegs after not getting any offers to play college basketball except at Davidson and maybe a few smaller schools around the area.

Could be his actual personality is shining through now?

But let's not pretend he's some guy from humble roots: He's the child of a wealthy NBA player, he attended one of the best private schools in the city growing up, and he's grown up not really ever wanting for anything.

But ultimately, we're all outsiders projecting our experience and bias on someone we've never met.

Sorry, but he does come across as arrogant/entitled. My perspective, living in the city where the Curry's are from is that Steph didn't used to be like that, not sure if it was that he got knocked down a couple of pegs after not getting any offers to play college basketball except at Davidson and maybe a few smaller schools around the area.

That's what they said about MJ...about Kobe...LeBron.  If they are good, then they must be assholes...granted, MJ was an asshole.

Could be his actual personality is shining through now?

Great article on Curry from a few years back...neither of us have ever met him, so I would put stock in the opinion of those that actually know him and coach him:

https://nypost.com/2016/01/30/humility-brash-arrogance-inside-dual-mind-of-stephen-curry/

But let's not pretend he's some guy from humble roots: He's the child of a wealthy NBA player, he attended one of the best private schools in the city growing up, and he's grown up not really ever wanting for anything.

That analogy would indicate that half of the people on this message board are assholes.  My father's family was one of the wealthiest families in Fiji back in the 1930's and 1940's.  My Dad grew up being able to walk into a department store and buy a shirt or anything he wanted, and simply put it on the family's credit...he never wanted for anything.  Then he immigrated to Canada when he was 21 with his mother, father, sister who was 9 and a brother who was 3.  His father died two years later and they had nothing...my Dad raised his brother and sister, worked three jobs as a new immigrant and kept the family intact.  He was probably the most privileged of children growing up as a teenage, and then worked his arse off for the next 25 years in Canada.  Anyone who knew him marveled at his humility, friendship, tenacity and love of family.  So, you cannot judge someone simply by their family.  Warren Buffett never wanted for anything either...except for a mother who gave a damn.  But I think most people would agree that Buffett is very humble.

But ultimately, we're all outsiders projecting our experience and bias on someone we've never met.

You are correct...fans often do that.  But, I'm basing my opinion on how:

- He never denigrates his team mates, even when they make crucial mistakes. 

- He willingly took a back seat to KD if that means winning. 

- Draymond, Klay and Igoudala would die for the guy...in fact Igoudala said he would do anything and everything to maintain Curry's legacy...not KD, Curry. 

- When KD got hurt, Curry carried him to the dressing room with Igoudala. 

- Curry never takes cheap shots at his opponents. 

Cheers!