Liberty

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really enjoyed this one from Verge. They interviewed the Mercedes CEO:

https://www.theverge.com/23172839/mercedes-benz-ceo-ola-kallenius-electric-vehicles-self-driving-luxury-tech-g-class

Mercedes is an interesting company to look at. They have really transformed from a super conservative company into something far more modern. I think they actually got the lead in self driving vehicles. Going all electric in 2030. I never heard much about the CEO be he sounds very reasonable and quite humble.

https://www.theverge.com/23172839/mercedes-benz-ceo-ola-kallenius-electric-vehicles-self-driving-luxury-tech-g-class

17 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I really enjoyed this one from Verge. They interviewed the Mercedes CEO:

Mercedes is an interesting company to look at. They have really transformed from a super conservative company into something far more modern. I think they actually got the lead in self driving vehicles. Going all electric in 2030. I never heard much about the CEO be he sounds very reasonable and quite humble.

Yep first to L3, might be a bit of European favouritism. 

Mercedes opens sales of Level 3 self-driving system on S-Class, EQS | Automotive News Europe (autonews.com)

Thanks for the link btw. I have been toying with buying some shares at this level, a great brand.  Very much the Apple of the auto universe which is why I have held off 😁.  It wouldn't happen but a JV with those two brands would be super compelling.  Never seen the numbers but I would posit the vast majority of Mercedes owners would also be iphone owners.

1 hour ago, nwoodman said:

Yep first to L3, might be a bit of European favouritism. 

Mercedes opens sales of Level 3 self-driving system on S-Class, EQS | Automotive News Europe (autonews.com)

Thanks for the link btw. I have been toying with buying some shares at this level, a great brand.  Very much the Apple of the auto universe which is why I have held off 😁.  It wouldn't happen but a JV with those two brands would be super compelling.  Never seen the numbers but I would posit the vast majority of Mercedes owners would also be iphone owners.

They talk about Apple  and Apple play as well. There clearly won't be an Car with a Mercedes Star and Apple software. They do integrate Apple Play into their software.

I have ranted about self driving before in the tesla thread. I think some legacy car maker have a better approach to self driving than Tesla , which has an camera only approach because Elon says so.

I think the stock is worth looking at. They are currently overearnings on margins, but they could sell more cars if supply chain issues get sorted out. Shares are cheap and they paid a 5Euro dividend for a 58 Euro stock. They recently spun of their truck business, which is interesting on their own merits, but also indicates more nimbleness and more focus on shareholder value.

(No position yet).

22 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

They talk about Apple  and Apple play as well. There clearly won't be an Car with a Mercedes Star and Apple software. They do integrate Apple Play into their software.

I have ranted about self driving before in the tesla thread. I think some legacy car maker have a better approach to self driving than Tesla , which has an camera only approach because Elon says so.

I think the stock is worth looking at. They are currently overearnings on margins, but they could sell more cars if supply chain issues get sorted out. Shares are cheap and they paid a 5Euro dividend for a 58 Euro stock. They recently spun of their truck business, which is interesting on their own merits, but also indicates more nimbleness and more focus on shareholder value.

(No position yet).

Apple Car Play and L3 merc is pretty compelling.  I know it was kind of laughed at WWDC this year as a bit of non-stat but I am definitely one of the 79% that would only consider Carplay.  I understand Tesla wanting to own their own stack but I could never consider one of their vehicles because I am so entrenched in Apple.  Merc all the way for us, kind of like a much lower version of Buffett's "indefensible" but it gives us joy every time we drive.  

Yep, if European regulator's want to blow  up Tesla's autopilolt, the easiest way to do it is to require redundancy in the form of Lidar.  I wouldn't argue with that view. 

The Tesla strawman argument saying that as humans we don't navigate by shooting lasers out of our eyes is plain silly.  I dare say we may just be doing that via AR glasses in the next 10 years.  Digital evolution. 

Tim Ferriss recently had Ed Thorp on. This is kind of a short version of reading Ed's autobiography but it was a great discussion. It was interesting when Ed was asked if there are any investors he would invest with today, he basically said no. He thinks he'll do just as good indexing because of fees and taxes. 

I like the Zacks market edge podcast series and in particular the following episode:

https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/1942453/analysis-are-we-in-a-recession

One fact the economics mentioned is that 2% rate hike alone never caused a recession by itself. Even a 2-4% rate hike only caused recessions about 35% of the time in the past.

It sure I got all the details, but it was interesting to hear. The podcast isn’t exactly rocket science but brings in some interesting sectors and ideas sometimes.

Edited by Spekulatius

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

On a GS Talk podcast with the head of Norwegian Wealth Fund, I heard that the latter has its own podcast with its investee. I haven’t listened to it yet, but thought sharing:

227A3E7A-1037-4EBE-9D6C-DD98EB344C7A.thumb.png.d950a6a1ae90b529b1713ca2b42edc88.png 

I listened to a few, they are not bad.  Tangen himself is absolutely brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of stating the obvious, the new 50x podcast series with Thorndike hosting and Nick Howley/Transdigm being the topic is great.  Just wish it came out a decade ago.  In addition, no one is talking about the huge red flag of their use of EBIT "D" "A" for most of the interview. 

I'ma put that on Thorndike as Howley eventually made him switch to the correct "EBITDAAAAAH".  Also it's kind of odd hearing Thorndike read the ads (like if you found all the outsiders can't you just skip that).  Then again, I suppose even Buffett and Munger run their ads in the BRK annual meeting.

Edited by CorpRaider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the Zacks podcast and particular this episode about Anne Scheiber - one of the greatest investors you have never heard of ( $5000 to $22M in 50 years).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/zacks-market-edge/id1052541481?i=1000577938421

https://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/moneymag_archive/1996/01/01/207651/index.htm

Interesting factoid- the last stock she bought in 1985 was AAPL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it's not finance related, but I decided to try my hand at podcasting.  Here's the first episode I did with my buddy where we discuss the scandal with the Bob Dylan autographed books that were signed by Autopen and sold for $600 each. 

Let me know what you guys think.  Also, we don't have a name yet and "two lawyers, one podcast" was rejected by friend for some reason 🙂  So name suggestions are welcome. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/short-briefings-on-long-term-thinking/ic-podcast/short-briefings-on-long-term-thinking-podcasts-episode-5-will-industrial-biotech-be-the-next-manufacturing-revolution-10001896/

EPISODE 5 - WILL INDUSTRIAL BIOTECH BE THE NEXT MANUFACTURING REVOLUTION
Industrial biotech companies can already produce synthetic spider silk and plant-based burgers that taste like meat. Future possibilities include timber produced from yeast. In the latest episode of Short Briefings on Long Term Thinking, Kirsty Gibson tells Malcolm Borthwick why she's fascinated by the opportunities of industrial biotech and its enormous investment potential.

• 3 weeks later...