First picture of a black hole

LC

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/black-hole-first-picture-event-horizon-telescope

A world-spanning network of telescopes called the Event Horizon Telescope zoomed in on the supermassive monster in the galaxy M87 to create this first-ever picture of a black hole.

Some more tidbits:

A picture of Katie Bouman, who led the development of the algorithm which made it possible to capture the image of a black hole, at the moment when the first black hole image was processed.

https://preview.redd.it/7fhncejghhr21.jpg?width=772&auto=webp&s=7129bbfe28b1ba023b901d9fd7c856b52a3fb40a

And here she is giving a TED talk in 2017 about how to take a picture of a black hole:

Pretty incredible!

Katie's dad Charlie is a colleague of mine and my daughter was in school with her. Amazing what Katie has accomplished.

Image what she could have accomplished , if she had joined a hedge fund!

Jokes asides , it is quite a feat to get spatial resolution on an object so far away, even if this object is the size of our solar system. Will listen to the Ted talk later. I wonder if they will have a go at the black hole in the Center of our galaxy next.

Katie's dad Charlie is a colleague of mine and my daughter was in school with her. Amazing what Katie has accomplished.

Image what she could have accomplished , if she had joined a hedge fund!

Jokes asides , it is quite a feat to get spatial resolution on an object so far away, even if this object is the size of our solar system. Will listen to the Ted talk later. I wonder if they will have a go at the black hole in the Center of our galaxy next.

I'll talk to her dad about that!

We had a faculty member, Ilya Pollak, who was into that. He taught a course entitled Financial Engineering. He left us and is the Chief Scientist at a Hedge Fund.

Mike,

It's a very special and positive experience to see & follow a young person one know from low age grow and participate in the accomplishment of something truly outstanding, thereby releasing that persons real potential, which sometimes can be hard to spot at a child at low age.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Here is a good introduction to black holes by Phil Plait. [H/T Chaz Hutton on Twitter].