Accuracy of IB's 1099?

fishwithwings

IB is reporting dividends from ISTB and FLOT as qualified dividends.

Fido is reporting them as not qualified dividends.

This also shows they are not qualified dividends:

https://www.ishares.com/us/literature/tax-information/2018-ishares-distribution-summary-icrmh0219u-716296.pdf

Crap, so now I have to try to manually persuade Turbo Tax that IB's reporting is screwed up... FML.

https://www.ishares.com/us/literature/tax-information/2018-ishares-distribution-summary-icrmh0219u-716296.pdf

Crap, so now I have to try to manually persuade Turbo Tax that IB's reporting is screwed up... FML.

Probably a better idea to call IB to get it fixed.  There will be a discrepancy between what you file and what the IRS will get from IB.

Probably a better idea to call IB to get it fixed.  There will be a discrepancy between what you file and what the IRS will get from IB.

Yeah.

So IB has "Tax form correction" option in their support section. Except that it does not work. They implemented new interface, but part of the code refers to old form and you can't submit the correction - it requires you to fill in no longer existing checkbox(es). Great programming! This company rocks! NOT.

Well, I submitted generic ticket instead. We'll see where that gets us.

BTW, they had exactly the same issue with ISTB/FLOT dividends reported as qualified in 2017 tax form. 1099-DIV got fixed/amended in March. This company rocks! NOT.

I wouldn't even dream of filing a return this early.  My 1099s get amended sometimes up to 20 times.  Once as late as June.  Plus I'm waiting for March 15th for k-1s anyway.  Biggest issue I had with IB was last year two days before the tax deadline they reclassified 50k of STCG to 1256 contract gain.  Made over 5k difference in my tax bill and could easily have gone by.

Yeah.

So IB has "Tax form correction" option in their support section. Except that it does not work. They implemented new interface, but part of the code refers to old form and you can't submit the correction - it requires you to fill in no longer existing checkbox(es). Great programming! This company rocks! NOT.

BTW, they had exactly the same issue with ISTB/FLOT dividends reported as qualified in 2017 tax form. 1099-DIV got fixed/amended in March. This company rocks! NOT.

Was this a special dividend?  I would have though reporting dividends would be pretty straightforward.

Yeah.

Was this a special dividend?  I would have though reporting dividends would be pretty straightforward.

No. ISTB and FLOT are bond etfs that pay regular dividends every month. I have no clue why IB cannot get it right second year in a row.