Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

1 hour ago, Gregmal said:

You’re missing A Million Ways To Die In The West. 

That was not a good western.  Blazing Saddles was a good, funny western.  Million Ways was more comparable to the Three Amigos!  Cheers!

On 7/16/2022 at 9:22 AM, Blugolds11 said:

Glad you liked it, I felt the same about Yellowstone, too much BS for me, 1883 to me was more of a "real" western. 

Always been a fan of westerns although they seem to be lowest on priority for movie/show producers...before Yellowstone/1883 when was the last western movie/tv series? They avg one like every 10 years (couple random no names) ...meanwhile they will make Fast and Furious 25 or some of those other names that are played out but guarantee a base number at the box office...westerns probably just dont put up the numbers...why take a risk producing a western that isnt as popular as it was in the 70's when they can just make (or remake) another show that has a chance of a better return. 

Been a while since there were good names:

Tombstone (one of my favorites)

Wyatt Erp

3:10 Yuma

Open Range (slow movie till the last gunfight)

Lonesome Dove (classic)

Unforgiven 

True Grit (didnt think it was great)

Old Henry (I thought that was pretty good)

Quentin Tarantino westerns (thought they were decent but not typical westerns obviously)

Before that you'd have to go back to Dances with Wolves (one of the best obviously)

And then you're into the Clint Eastwood/John Wayne era

Outlaw Josey Wales probably my all time favorite.

Hoping if 1883 is a hit maybe that will increase, I'd like to see Elliot in more stuff, even though he is getting older he still nails the cowboy role IMO.

And i still have not seen “Dances with the Wolves” 😉

On 7/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, Blugolds11 said:

Music alone is worth the watch..impressive 

It's one of the great movies ever made.  Costner cemented his reputation as an American legend with that movie.  Has to be seen on the big screen to appreciate the cinematography and when they are riding with the buffalo. 

The other guy today on the type of run Costner was on back then is surprisingly Bradley Cooper.  He's got nine Oscar nominations now already...never won!  I suspect he'll get a number of nominations and probably a win with the Leonard Bernstein bio movie he's doing.  Cheers!

On 7/18/2022 at 3:12 PM, LC said:

Bradley Cooper is great - I recommend Burnt if you haven't seen it.

You know critics didn't like that movie, but I loved it.  I think it's one of the best movies on cooking/greatness made.  Another one I love is an old movie with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub called "Big Night".  I haven't seen it in ages, but if you love food, good acting and the challenging notion of being a great chef, it was one of the best movies of that type.  Cheers!

4 hours ago, LC said:

If you like that genre, I’ll recommend again The Bear on Hulu. Even better than Burnt in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching it.  I always thought Jeremy Allen White should have his own project.  He was one of the few interesting characters on Shameless alongside William H. Macy and Emmy Rossum.  Cheers!

Shout out for Black Bird on Apple TV.  It has a True Detectives (first series) vibe.   Some confronting material but interesting character development and has left me hanging out for each weekly episode.   I think any lingering fears about Tim Cook’s  “wholesomeness” approach to TV+ are put to bed with this one.  

https://mashable.com/article/apple-tim-cook-television

We are really liking L’art du Crime. There are five seasons and it is still in production. Each crime is two episodes and we are in the middle of the third season.

Florence is an art historian at the Louvre and works with police captain Antoine to solve art related crimes. I really like the character of Florence. I don’t really like the actor playing Antoine, but the stories, filming, and other characters make up for him.

I really enjoyed The Gray Man tonight.  Very funny and superb action!  Ryan Gosling is the one guy I could see filling Robert Downey Jr's shoes as Iron Man.  You're going to wonder why he doesn't do more action movies after watching this.  Cheers!

On 7/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, Xerxes said:

“Mayor of Kingstown” looks very interesting

watched the first episode(Paramount+)

Half way through. 
this is really good. the show is about the power brokers managing between different sides inside a US prison and their affiliates outside

7 hours ago, maxthetrade said:

The World's Fastest Indian is a great, very underappreciated movie. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

I thought that was one of Anthony Hopkin's best performances and accurate to the real story...a very entertaining and well done movie!  Cheers!

Wasn't sure where to put this (Apple, Disney or ???) and it wound up here.

National Football League Announces New Streaming Launch

"With the NFL offering a streaming package, Amazon getting increased coverage of Thursday Night Football games and Apple the likely winner of Sunday Ticket, the next two years could be a huge test for the NFL to see how streaming coverage impacts viewership and advertising rates for the league."

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, nwoodman said:

Shout out for Black Bird on Apple TV.  It has a True Detectives (first series) vibe.   Some confronting material but interesting character development and has left me hanging out for each weekly episode.   I think any lingering fears about Tim Cook’s  “wholesomeness” approach to TV+ are put to bed with this one.  

Black Bird on Apple TV is great. One of Ray Liotta's last roles, RIP.

Edited by formthirteen

On 7/23/2022 at 3:39 AM, Parsad said:

I really enjoyed The Gray Man tonight.  Very funny and superb action!  Ryan Gosling is the one guy I could see filling Robert Downey Jr's shoes as Iron Man.  You're going to wonder why he doesn't do more action movies after watching this.  Cheers!

I'm a fan of The Gray Man books and finally got to see the movie this past weekend.  Having read the books really ruins the movie.   I hate that they made it all about the US Government.  In the books he's a private hitman not a current CIA agent, and the people out to get him are also not US Government agents.   Since it takes place in Europe the books have very little to do with the US in any way. Hollywood wants to make everything about US Government all of the time.  Also in the book he's a badass lone operator, where in the movie they gave him a female sidekick.  As a standalone story I guess the movie wasn't bad, but my expectations where very high and the movie disappointed me tremendously. 

2 hours ago, rkbabang said:

I'm a fan of The Gray Man books and finally got to see the movie this past weekend.  Having read the books really ruins the movie.   I hate that they made it all about the US Government.  In the books he's a private hitman not a current CIA agent, and the people out to get him are also not US Government agents.   Since it takes place in Europe the books have very little to do with the US in any way. Hollywood wants to make everything about US Government all of the time.  Also in the book he's a badass lone operator, where in the movie they gave him a female sidekick.  As a standalone story I guess the movie wasn't bad, but my expectations where very high and the movie disappointed me tremendously. 

This is how I felt with the Jason Bourne movies. So far from the books and the books were so much better....