Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

On 4/21/2022 at 10:12 AM, Liberty said:

I saw it in theater. Not usually my kind of movie, but some friends were going, and I don't regret seeing it. Very very well shot, I love the cinematography. Great music too. And a kind of detective/noir vibe that worked pretty well.

i saw the three hours movie in 3 sittings. I can only tolerate an hour on tv. The moment I saw that re-imagined Times Square in the opening scene, I knew we were in for a treat. 

yeah definitely film noire. And very well done. I hate reboots, but this one I ll take. 

Finished Wecrashed on Apple TV. Overall it exceeded my expectations. Almost died laughing at some parts of the last episode. Not sure how true to reality it is, but man, the arrogance in that scene when he s talking about firing the whole board and then replacing them. 

Neumann: “How about Elon?”

Wife: ”honey Elon wouldn’t work. Besides, he’s a peer. You wouldn’t learn anything from him”

Neumann: “how about, Obama?”

I've been enjoying Moon Knight on Disney+. Reminds me of the old mummy movies a little bit. 

Also, Not sure if anyone here has read the Jason Bourne books. But in the books Jason Bourne more as like a multiple personality disorder between David Webb, Jason Bourne, & Delta. When I watch Moon Knight and seeing the way they portray the multiple personalities this is how I wish the Bourne movies had been. Since I enjoyed the books so much. 

2 hours ago, Longnose said:

I've been enjoying Moon Knight on Disney+. Reminds me of the old mummy movies a little bit. 

Also, Not sure if anyone here has read the Jason Bourne books. But in the books Jason Bourne more as like a multiple personality disorder between David Webb, Jason Bourne, & Delta. When I watch Moon Knight and seeing the way they portray the multiple personalities this is how I wish the Bourne movies had been. Since I enjoyed the books so much. 

I have been watching MoonKnight (and all Marvel shows). But specifically MoonKnight is not doing it for me. Downhill after the first two episodes. 

HBO:

”We own this City” brought to you by the producers of the Wire. And also in Baltimore and with a lot of actors from the Wire. With quality dope coming out of the HBO pipeline no wonder Netflix is losing subs.  

episode 1 available 

Edited by Xerxes

13 hours ago, Liberty said:

I hear good things about the show "Severance" from a few people who's taste I trust, but I haven't seen it yet. Curious if anyone here has..?

Sleepy people be careful with this one. I fell asleep at some point during the second episode. I was probably a bit sleepy from the start, but there's not much happening. I will watch the third episode. Severance is an interesting idea on how to run a business, but not a new concept really...

1 hour ago, formthirteen said:

Sleepy people be careful with this one. I fell asleep at some point during the second episode. I was probably a bit sleepy from the start, but there's not much happening. I will watch the third episode. Severance is an interesting idea on how to run a business, but not a new concept really...

I made it through about 20 minutes of the first episode.

We have a barbell TV technique in my household.  We watch great TV shows (Better Call Saul) and dumpster fire shows (Married at First Sight) and nothing in the middle. 

We just finished Super Pumped and it was entertaining and a good rage watch.  Due to current events, I would recommend the Putin Interviews by Oliver Stone.  I think Stone doesn't push back enough and he is too ready to accept things at face value, but it's a good look into Putin's thinking.  If you watch it, you might not be surprised that he actually went full dictator and invaded.  He is pretty adamant that the soviet union shouldn't have disbanded and that Ukraine belongs to Russia. 

23 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

@DooDiligence if you have Hulu, they have a very recent documentary aptly named "Zappa". It's narrated by his son. It's pretty enjoyable, also I never got "Zappa". I fully remember that you had to "get" Zappa to be part of the "Intelligentsia" in our gymnasium/high school in the late seventies- early eighties.

Thanks, I'll look at that.

I never was a big fan.

I've liked a few of his pieces over the years:

What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body

Don't Eat the Yellow Snow

Flower Punk

But the harmonies and melodies were too avant garde for my taste.

I've felt the same about many artists and then became a fan after seeing a video or film.

I'm revisiting Zappa after seeing 200 Motels.

He was definitely a very accomplished composer, arranger and musician.

The guy did everything on paper which is significantly more difficult than using Finale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 3:48 PM, TorontoRaptorsFan said:

Terrific show! Casting has been well done for this series. 

I started watching Tokyo Vice and agree, it’s a great how. Highly recommended.

I also started to watch Season 2 of “Undone”, the mindbending series on Amazon Prime. Loved the first season as well. Not for everyone, due to the unusual concept.

Edited by Spekulatius

This isnt a movie/tv show recommendation but 2 recents docs on Netflix

1. Downfall: The Case against Boeing

2. White Hot: The rise and fall of Abercrombie & Fitch

are quite well worth the watch. The first even more so than the second.

Edited by n.r98

10 minutes ago, n.r98 said:

This isnt a movie/tv show recommendation but 2 recents docs on Netflix

1. Downfall: The Case against Boeing

2. White Hot: The rise and fall of Abercrombie & Fitch

are quite well worth the watch. The first even more so than the second.

I watched the A&F documentary...some of the management were quacks..and I never realized the underlying "shirtless boys" themes (watch it if you're wondering) at the time...it was just the "cool" clothing to wear..

If I had a dollar for every girl I dated that was an "Abercrombie model" haha omg, they were all called "models"...never knew that in the day but I had fun with it..

Anyway, when I watched this what I found most interesting was that they were viewed as a premier brand...they sold the image that everyone wanted, everyone wanted to be the ivy league rich kid, polo, rowing, house in the hamptons, good looking etc...even the minorities and the fat kids...but they couldnt, so they complained, because the clothing should be for everyone right? Wrong...when they tried to become something for everyone the brand tanked and lost its appeal and prestige. I think it was dumb...if the fat kids and others didnt think the brand fit them...just dont buy it...I saw TONS of similarities between AF and VS going on now with plus size models etc. Thats what I took from it...people want to buy something that makes them feel closer to that ideal image...physically, financially etc..and some people strive for it, and some people complain that they cant be that no matter what and demand that the bar is lowered...lowering the bar just reduces the brand appeal and the ability to charge a premium price. Imagine if people complained that fat people cant fit in a Ferrari, or that not enough minorities own ferraris...so Ferrari started making an entry level car that retails for the same price as a Camry and has wider seating and more headroom for the "husky" folks...what would that do to the brand..

Nobody complains that Old Navy or other lower tier brands arent for everyone...but when you're on the top you're a target, AF became a target and crash/burned...I've never owned anything FUBU, or been on their website, seen their marketing..but I am assuming that was probably the opposite of AF back in the day, because they targeted a different customer and thats OK..I think you can have all of it, targeting different markets, find a brand that portrays your ideal and give them your money. 

Just for kicks I went on their website while watching the documentary, TOTALLY different image than I remember back in the day, completely unremarkable. Granted Im no longer their target customer at this age..but viewing it as I would have back in the day or as a kid today..nothing there exciting. 

@Blugolds11 I'm much younger than you, final year in college so idk the perception in the early 2000s. Would argue that A&F's downfall was more than just the dispelling of exclusion but rather, digitization changing the clothing landscape and just quite simply, a change in what's in fashion.... happened to suits etc.. the in-thing now being athleisure(?); the last straw of A&F was in my high school days, cc 2013ish and I never thought the clothes looked good at all. In any case, it's just too hard to predict these things; Uniqlo is thriving on simplicity now, "it's back to basics again"... 

And now with Insta/tiktok models dictating what's "lit" and what's "drip", no one brand really has the monopoly to dictate where the next hot thing is and every brand is just a sheeple to some extent... could argue NIke is a trendsetter but more generally speaking.

Do watch the Boeing one, I thought it was r good.. a little engineering, a little corp culture etc, bueno!

Edited by n.r98

11 minutes ago, n.r98 said:

@Blugolds11 I'm much younger than you, final year in college so idk the perception in the early 2000s. Would argue that A&F's downfall was more than just the dispelling of exclusion but rather, digitization changing the clothing landscape and just quite simply, a change in what's in fashion.... happened to suits etc.. the in-thing now being athleisure(?); the last straw of A&F was in my high school days, cc 2013ish and I never thought the clothes looked good at all. In any case, it's just too hard to predict these things; Uniqlo is thriving on simplicity now, "it's back to basics again"... 

And now with Insta/tiktok models dictating what's "lit" and what's "drip", no one brand really has the monopoly to dictate where the next hot thing is and every brand is just a sheeple to some extent... could argue NIke is a trendsetter but more generally speaking.

Do watch the Boeing one, I thought it was r good.. a little engineering, a little corp culture etc, bueno!

I agree, fashion is fickle and changes rapidly, no doubt AF would have had their day sooner or later, I think it may have come a bit prematurely due to the aforementioned complications..as there are other brands that have adapted, adjusted and remained more relevant. 

As for whats "lit" and "drip"...I'd have to google those definitions lol

I'll check out the Boeing one 

• 2 weeks later...

For Yellowstone fans, Tyler Sheridan is doing another prequel series called "1932" with Helen Mirren and Harrison Ford as another generation of the Dutton clan.  Will cover prohibition, droughts and the Great Depression.  This one may end up even better than Yellowstone itself!  Cheers!

https://deadline.com/2022/05/yellowstone-prequel-1932-helen-mirren-harrison-ford-1235026210/

4 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

Watched "King Richard" last night and it was excellent.

Not sure how well it follows the actual story of the Williams family.

I hope it's all true.

The part they excluded was when Richard slaps Chris Rock across the face for making fun of Oracene at Wimbledon!  The Queen was not pleased.  🙂  Cheers!

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

The part they excluded was when Richard slaps Chris Rock across the face for making fun of Oracene at Wimbledon!  The Queen was not pleased.  🙂  Cheers!

😂

Yeah, I was a reluctant to watch this but a GF wanted to see it.

I hate to sound cliche but it was heartwarming

and he did hit a guy with a tennis racket...

Edited by DooDiligence