Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

19 hours ago, D33pV4lue said:

I've been watching Dopesick on Hulu and the new season of Succession. Highly recommend Dopesick. 

I've been enjoying Dopesick as well. It is very entertaining even though I know it is just drug-war propaganda; complete with cartoonish villains, helpless unwitting victims, and government agent super heroes to the rescue. 

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed “Don’t look up !“ much more than the middling reviews indicate.

“The power of the Dog” is more a drama than a western, but the cast, storytelling and setting are outstanding.

Not enough bullets were spent in the “Matrix Resurrection” imo. Ok, but not great.

TV series “Vienna Blood” (on Amazon Video until the end of the year), “The Expanse” (new season), “The Witcher” (ditto) and “Cowboy Bebop” are great.

Edit, I am also enjoying the lighthearted “All creatures big and small” (Amazon video available until EOY), Brit TV at its finest.

Edited by Spekulatius

1 hour ago, Longnose said:

Just finished Wheel of Time on Amazon. If you enjoy high fantasy it was well done. I enjoyed it. 

Same. It got a lot of hate from the diehard readers but as someone who never read the books, I enjoyed it as well. Got me looking forward to reading the books, actually.

1 minute ago, LC said:

Same. It got a lot of hate from the diehard readers but as someone who never read the books, I enjoyed it as well. Got me looking forward to reading the books, actually.

Same, I may actually read the books now. Sometimes I need a good movie to help me develop character attachment to jump start enjoyment of the books. I never would have read the Shadow and Bone series had it not been for the Netflix show. 

Currently reading Way of Kings by Brian Sanderson. Once I finish that I may attempt Wheel of Time again.

47 minutes ago, Longnose said:

Same, I may actually read the books now. Sometimes I need a good movie to help me develop character attachment to jump start enjoyment of the books. I never would have read the Shadow and Bone series had it not been for the Netflix show. 

Currently reading Way of Kings by Brian Sanderson. Once I finish that I may attempt Wheel of Time again.

"Shadow and bone" is good too. I think "The Witcher" S2 is great and maybe a legit successor to GOT in spirit. I also enjoy "Wheel of Time". I wouldn't mind a bit more action but the characters are pretty good. lot's of fantasy stuff to watch nowadays.

Edited by Spekulatius

On 12/25/2021 at 10:21 AM, Spekulatius said:

I enjoyed “Don’t look up !“ much more than the middling reviews indicate.

“The power of the Dog” is more a drama than a western, but the cast, storytelling and setting are outstanding.

Both were AMAZING ... 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:39 PM, Xerxes said:

10 Rings (Marvel movie) -- done

Sopranos prequel -- done

007 -- done

Dune -- done

Foundation Trilogy -- -- done -- Grade F

Eternal (Marvel movie) -- done

Spiderman multiverse (Marvel movie) -- done

Dexter -- done

Narcos Mexico Season 3 -- done

Mandalorian (no clue on release date) - 2022 summer

Billions (part 2 of the last season ?) -- done

Billions (new season) 

Succession (new season 3) -- done

Expanse Season 6 -- not watched yet

Boba Fett -- watching now

Yellowstone Season 4 -- done

North Water - have not watched yet

Edited by Xerxes

On 1/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, Xerxes said:

Speaking of crime series, one of the best one i have seen is "Shetland" set in Scotland, UK

On Netflix

Shetland is superb, great characters. I love those UK crime series. Always great acting.

If you like Shetland, check out Endeaver, Vera, and Inspector Lewis.

Edit: Also, another good one is Foyle's War

Edit: I love the theme music for Endeavor  

Edited by boilermaker75

On 1/15/2022 at 10:33 PM, boilermaker75 said:

Shetland is superb, great characters. I love those UK crime series. Always great acting.

If you like Shetland, check out Endeaver, Vera, and Inspector Lewis.

Edit: Also, another good one is Foyle's War

Edit: I love the theme music for Endeavor  

Thanks. I think some of these European shows are best reached through Amazon Prime's pipeline by getting a 30-day free. For Shetland, i watched the first few seaons on Netflix, but the last two seasons were not on Netflix yet but got it through Prime's distribution.

Shetland and Vera are, agreed, terrific.  Same author (Ann Cleeves) wrote both and her books are as interesting as the tv series are.  Vienna Blood Season 2 just began on PBS - previously highly rec'd by Spek.

For those interested in foreign crime, I enjoyed Henrik Menkill's "Wallender" series that starred Kenneth Branagh as the morose and disaffected Swedish detective. The original Swedish version was a mess.  Branagh is far better in the title role and Menkill's books and tv story lines are captivating.  "Young Wallender" as a prequel on Netflix is a must miss.

I am watching and really like Netflix' Dutch crime series "Undercover" starring Frank Laemers as Ferry, a gangster living in a trailer park along with an undercover police team (Tom Waes) ingratiating themselves - both characters are intense, eyes on the prize, thinking about the game all the time.  Season 3 began this week.  One man is from the bad, the other from the good - both are skilled at what they are doing & trying to achieve.  French "Spiral" is also one of the best foriegn tv crime series - superb acting, gritty plotting - alongside UK's "Line of Duty."

If you subscribe to MHZ channel or Amazon Prime, "A French Village" is worth seeking out.  Its set on certain days in the same, well duh, French village during WWII and features many actors who appear in "Spiral".

Lest we forget...new season of "Ozark" starts this Friday!