Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

What do you think about The Witcher? Was thinking about giving it a chance for a while, but the reviews seem to be quite contradictory.

Witcher so far follows books pretty closely. The complaints about the show would be mostly the complaints about the books too. Whether someone would like the show would depend on whether they would have liked the style and content of the books.

In other words, try it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.  8)

Personally, I somewhat liked the stories in the books covered this season. I did not like the remaining books and thus I might not like the remaining seasons if they follow the books closely.

What do you think about The Witcher? Was thinking about giving it a chance for a while, but the reviews seem to be quite contradictory.

I didn’t like it first for the first two episodes, but then started to like it. I think it will grow into a real franchise. I have completed the first season and look forward to the 2nd.

I've heard good things about the show 'Vikings'. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious if anyone here has seen it and can share their opinion of it. Thanks.

I liked it too!

—-

Bernard Cornwell’s “Saxon Choronicles” novels (GREAT) were made into a series called “the Last Kingdom”.

It’s about Alfred the great & is fleshed out with fictional characters like Uhtred,

a Saxon boy who’s captured & raised by Danes & becomes Alfred’s greatest

Commander in the fight against invaders.

Alfred screws Uhtred over a lot.

There’s 3 seasons to watch after gorging yourself on Vikings.

• 1 month later...

I saw ‘1917’ (2019). What a remarkable accomplishment. One of the best war films ever, in my opinion. It breathes. Some of those sets and environments and set pieces are unreal, yet so real. Worth seeing in theater imo. A+

EQixw3cXUAEPeZv?format=jpg&name=medium

Watched this one at home, no theatre's for the time being. Somehow only cost me $0.99. It’s not really a war film in a sense, seems more like a crossover of a road movie and the Odyssee in a WW1 setting.

Great settings but also a lot of stuff that doesn’t make logical sense. It’s a masterpiece with some faults. Definitely worthwhile watching.

If you liked 1917 I would highly recommend watching Peter Jackson’s “And They Shall Not Grow Old”

Yes, I watched this a while ago. I am a bit of a WW1 nerd. Got fascinated with it when my dad showed me a pic of my great grandfather in front of a huge artillery piece in a desolate landscape somewhere in France.

If you want a literal description of a soldiers view of WW1, read Ernst Jüngers book “ In Stahlgewittern” (Storm of steel), which you can download as freeware if look around.

If you want a literal description of a soldiers view of WW1, read Ernst Jüngers book “ In Stahlgewittern” (Storm of steel), which you can download as freeware if look around.

I read it, but I thought "All Quiet on the Western Front" from Remarque was much better written and a more powerful book. Have you read that one too? And yes, the Peter Jackson project was nice.

• 2 weeks later...

The Innocence Files on Netflix.  Very well done documentary on people who have been wrongly accused and convicted, but heartbreaking to watch.  Every 2 episodes is a about a new case.  So it is really like a collection of 2-eppisode long stories.  My wife couldn't finish the series, she said it was just too sad and infuriating to watch.  The corruption it shows in the justice system is just pure mind-mindbogglingly evil.  The widespread corruption of police, prosecutors, and judges coupled with the unreliability of witnesses, and the junk forensic "science" and it is a wonder the justice system ever gets anything right at all.

If you liked 1917 I would highly recommend watching Peter Jackson’s “And They Shall Not Grow Old”

Yes, I watched this a while ago. I am a bit of a WW1 nerd. Got fascinated with it when my dad showed me a pic of my great grandfather in front of a huge artillery piece in a desolate landscape somewhere in France.

I will give it a read for sure. Also a few good resources for reading letter directly.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/letters-first-world-war-1915/

There was one I read (not sure if it's from this site) where a soldier documented a patrol and how he tripped and fell on a dead body. He said his hand went through the body as if it were made of soft cheese when he went to catch himself. Absolutely gruesome and unimaginable. 

3 episodes into the documentary series Tiger King on Netflix... what a crazy bunch of people. Entertaining so far.

I watched that a few weeks ago just to see what everyone was talking about.  You know it is nonfiction, because you couldn't make these characters up.

Devs - Alex Garland on Hulu was really well done and worth a watch.

- A blend of tech and philosophy

Great show so far. I'd also recommend ZeroZeroZero (Prime)... similar feel to the movie Sicario.

Also, recently added to Netflix: WACO and The Last Dance.