Gov. Bevin Responds to Alleged Hypocrisy/smartphone destroyed a generation?

MrB

Interesting inputs MrB and one is tempted to ask where John Galt is.

My mother (like Putnam in Bowling Alone, 2000) used to say the same thing about television.

The linked article is relevant when they raise doubt about the use of social media and "screens" causing unhappiness as there may be another independent variable: social capital.

My humble experience with kids is that the devices are to be seen as opportunity costs. I've found that, despite the invisible leash to the device/truncated social construct, they easily put it down when they have something better (from the social capital point of view) to do.

And sometimes, the activity is bowling. :)

This is an investment board and I would say that one/we need to invest in social capital to cover the inevitable depreciation expense but it's a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for posting, great article.

They are Vampire Phones because they suck the life out of you.  Everyone one of us a finite time on this earth and it passes quickly.  Do you choose to interact in person with real people or your phone?  Do you want to do deep work or stay in the shallows?  This article is about young people but adults are massively addicted too. 

I have come to realize for myself that time spent away from phones, screens, etc and with real people is so much more meaningful.  Here are my recommendations:

1.  Turn off all notifications - text, email, facebook, etc.

2.  Check your email 1x per day.

3.  Turn off your phone for intervals during the day.

4.  Go into nature without your phone or any distractions.

5.  Put your phone out of sight when at work or even at home.  Seeing it has a mental attention pull.

6.  Read more documents in paper for better understanding.

In essence, don't be a slave to your phone.

CoBF is a Vampire Forum because it sucks the life out of you.  Everyone one of us a finite time on this earth and it passes quickly.  Do you choose to interact in person with real people or this forum?  Do you want to do deep work or stay in the shallows?  This article is about young people but adults are massively addicted too. 

I have come to realize for myself that time spent away from phones, screens, etc and with real people is so much more meaningful.  Here are my recommendations:

1.  Turn off all notifications about CoBF - text, email, facebook, etc.

2.  Check CoBF 1x per day month.

3.  Turn off CoBF for intervals during the day month.

4.  Go into nature without CoBF or any distractions.

5.  Put CoBF out of sight when at work or even at home.  Seeing it has a mental attention pull.

6.  Read more documents in paper for better understanding.

In essence, don't be a slave to CoBF.

There. Fixed that for you.

------------------------------------------------

And, yes, "guns don't kill people, phones (and CoBF) kill people"