Where did the money come from for all of these old county courthouses?

This is kind of a weird question/ observation, but does anyone know where the money came from for some of the old grand courthouses? Usually when I think of small towns, you don't think of much money but some of these places have some really neat, old courthouses. They're usually quite old (sometimes a 100 years or more) but you can tell at one time they were probably pretty elaborate.

It seems like most counties have these and many times have a lot of old splendor. I'm just curious on how they funded them originally. Was there some type of government program? It seems a lot were built in the early 1900s.

http://courthousehistory.com/

This is kind of a weird question/ observation, but does anyone know where the money came from for some of the old grand courthouses? Usually when I think of small towns, you don't think of much money but some of these places have some really neat, old courthouses. They're usually quite old (sometimes a 100 years or more) but you can tell at one time they were probably pretty elaborate.

It seems like most counties have these and many times have a lot of old splendor. I'm just curious on how they funded them originally. Was there some type of government program? It seems a lot were built in the early 1900s.

http://courthousehistory.com/

The one in my town was built 1881-1884. Here is a photo,

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lafayette_-_Tippecanoe_County_Courthouse_-_panoramio.jpg

It is more impressive than the photo

Lots of run-down small towns were significantly more bustling when their courthouses were built. So the courthouses were built when they were "growth stocks" and now they're "value stocks" with excess real estate.

What caused the decline? In many cases the building of the Interstate Highway System roadways diverted traffic flows elsewhere. This served to disadvantage their motels, gas stations, etc.

What caused the decline? In many cases the building of the Interstate Highway System roadways diverted traffic flows elsewhere. This served to disadvantage their motels, gas stations, etc.

This seems like a good theory, though it seems that for it to be the case the county seat would have had to have been on a significant railroad line.

National Park Services - U.S. Department of Interior: Federal Courthouses and Post Offices: Symbols of Pride and Permanence in American Communities.

Wikipedia: General Services Administration - Federal Property and Buildings.

GSA: Financial Results by Major Fund - Federal Buildings Fund [old 2012 stuff, I know, but this is what Google gave me.]

United States Government Accountability Office - November 2013 - FEDERAL COURTHOUSES - Better Planning Needed Regarding Reuse of Old Courthouses.

- - - o 0 o - - -

• Let's think big,
  • Let's do it together, giving it our very best shot, based on pooled ressources, capabilities and talents [some "carried forward" from Europe, I guess],
  • Let's do it right in the first shot, with room for for expansion, based on long term optimism and entrepreneurship, combined with foresight,
  • Lets do it, because we are actually a society,

- - -o 0 o - - -

Awesome to read that some American fellow board members to this day still appreciate what your forefathers decided and accomplished.

This seems like a good theory, though it seems that for it to be the case the county seat would have had to have been on a significant railroad line.

No, there were other highway systems before the Interstate Highway System was built. FWIW, the Disney movie "Cars" illustrates the basic dynamic really well.