Jaguar Reliability

rb

I'm thinking to get a new car for my mom and I was thinking maybe a Jaguar. But I am a bit concerned since they're known to not be the most reliable cars around.

I'm hoping if some of you own/have owned Jaguars can share your experience and whether it's worth buying them. I don't wanna just create a problem for my mom.

Thanks!

I'm thinking to get a new car for my mom and I was thinking maybe a Jaguar. But I am a bit concerned since they're known to not be the most reliable cars around.

I'm hoping if some of you own/have owned Jaguars can share your experience and whether it's worth buying them. I don't wanna just create a problem for my mom.

Thanks!

I loved my Jag - about my favorite car - but I would never buy one again. Too many problems & expensive repairs. I live in Illinois, and always seemed to have trouble passing the emissions test - neither the Jag dealer or the State could ever figure out the issues.  Pretty awesome and fun car - if you do buy one - I'd suggest you have it covered under warranty the entire period.

why do you want a Jaguar? What’s the purpose? Off roaring? Luxury ride?

It's for a luxury ride. I was thinking Mercedes but Jags are NICE! So I'm thinking it would be really cool if she could have one of those  :). But I also don't want to get her the car from hell. That would defeat the whole purpose.

She drives a Lexus now. So of course either way it'll be a downgrade in reliability. But I don't want to go down too far.

I had a new 79 Jag XJS back when they still had Lucas electronics. v12 fast and smooth ...when it ran at all. Biggest pos I ever owned. It caught on fire (again electronics) in the dealer's lot when I was trying to trade it in. I think they're supposed to be better now, but styling isn't that great.

why do you want a Jaguar? What’s the purpose? Off roaring? Luxury ride?

It's for a luxury ride. I was thinking Mercedes but Jags are NICE! So I'm thinking it would be really cool if she could have one of those  :). But I also don't want to get her the car from hell. That would defeat the whole purpose.

She drives a Lexus now. So of course either way it'll be a downgrade in reliability. But I don't want to go down too far.

Jags built in the last 5-6 years are fairly reliable and comparable to most manufacturers. Certainly not top of JD Powers, but not the money-sucking Jags built in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  Jags built between 2000-2010 have far more issues than Jags built after Tata took over. 

Not sure if you are talking about a new Jag or older Jag.  If you are talking about the newer Jags, sure buy your Mom a really nice car.  If you are talking an older car, Jags pre-2010, and she's used to driving a Lexus, don't do it.  Get her an older E series Mercedes Benz, Cadillac or an older 5 Series BMW...maybe even another Lexus. 

Like any car, especially used, if the owner(s) took care of it, it will be a good car.  If the owners didn't, then you may get stuck with a car that needs alot of updating and repairs.  Cheers!

Jags built in the last 5-6 years are fairly reliable and comparable to most manufacturers. Certainly not top of JD Powers, but not the money-sucking Jags built in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  Jags built between 2000-2010 have far more issues than Jags built after Tata took over. 

Not sure if you are talking about a new Jag or older Jag.  If you are talking about the newer Jags, sure buy your Mom a really nice car.  If you are talking an older car, Jags pre-2010, and she's used to driving a Lexus, don't do it.  Get her an older E series Mercedes Benz, Cadillac or an older 5 Series BMW...maybe even another Lexus. 

Like any car, especially used, if the owner(s) took care of it, it will be a good car.  If the owners didn't, then you may get stuck with a car that needs alot of updating and repairs.  Cheers!

Thanks for this info Sanjeev.

It is going to be a used one because it's against my religion to buy new cars. But it won't be anything crazy old. Something like 3 years used.

Thanks for this info Sanjeev.

It is going to be a used one because it's against my religion to buy new cars. But it won't be anything crazy old. Something like 3 years used.

Yeah, me too!  3 years old or so...go for it...she will love it!  Cheers!

Thanks!

You should just take it for a test drive.  8)