Did anyone buy rental car insurance from Expedia or similar

rb

I'm looking to book a rental car for a trip and I was wondering whether anyone purchased insurance with their rental car from an online place like Expedia or similar.

I noticed that the insurance is not through the rental car company but underwritten by 3rd parties. I'm wondering if the insurance is seamless such as the one purchased from the rental car company or is it gonna be a hassle, such as in the case of an issue i have to pay the car rental personally and then make a claim to the 3rd party insurer.

Thanks.

Not sure how it works at Expedia but rental car insurance through the actual car companies is a total waste of money. Not only should your standard auto insurance policy cover rentals, but many credit cards also offer it for free. I've been told the rental car agents get 1/3 of what you pay for the insurance in commission. I went on a week long trip to the Florida Keys and the total for my rental car was about $250. Then these idiots offered me the insurance, along with the whole scare story about "what if something happens", for another $100-$150 for the week(my auto for the entire year is about $1,800) along with the "option" to pay $50 for an unlimited SunPass to cover the three $1.25 tolls I would be traveling by...

Normally I'd agree with you, however where I'm going driving is a lot more dangerous than the Florida Keys so a claim is a real possibility. I also wouldn't want to put a claim on my main insurance where I end up paying for it for the next 5 years.

I've had excellent experience through the Amex Premium Car Rental Insurance (purchased as an option above the standard insurance for only something like $25. It was wonderful. I was up against a fraudulent claim in a foreign country known for legal chenanigans. The moment I forwarded the claim to them, they took over for me, and I didn't hear another peep. The claim was wiped off the face of the Earth, and I wasn't involved. The only caveat is that the car rental agency has to take Amex for the service to activate.

I've had excellent experience through the Amex Premium Car Rental Insurance (purchased as an option above the standard insurance for only something like $25. It was wonderful. I was up against a fraudulent claim in a foreign country known for legal chenanigans. The moment I forwarded the claim to them, they took over for me, and I didn't hear another peep. The claim was wiped off the face of the Earth, and I wasn't involved. The only caveat is that the car rental agency has to take Amex for the service to activate.

I agree the optional Amex for $25 per rental (not per day) is a great deal. Primary coverage is key!