Recommendation for books on Private Equity?

roark1211

Hi guys,

Do you have any recommendation for good books on Private Equity? I'm looking for a "how-to" guide but also very interested in any other decent books on the topic.

Thanks a lot!

PS: I was wondering whether I should post this in "Books" forum but it seems that one is more for members to review books that they have read.

First of all I am assuming that you mean buyouts and not Venture Capital, as technically VC is a type of PE. 

Zeisberger at INSEAD has a new book out, her most recent one, that is on my pile of books to read Mastering Private Equity. This seems to cover everything.

Are you interested in doing small PE deals as opposed to joining a PE shop? If you are into the small deals, then I would recommend the HBR Guide to Buying a Small Business, by two Harvard Business School prof's who teach  a class on going out and buying businesses (Entrepreneurship through Acquisition)  These small PE deals have  a bunch of practitioners in it who are pretty open, with various conferences.

Again for small deals, checkout the podcasts from Booth School and for both large and small deals look at case studies from the business schools and the Harvard Business Review.

First of all I am assuming that you mean buyouts and not Venture Capital, as technically VC is a type of PE. 

Zeisberger at INSEAD has a new book out, her most recent one, that is on my pile of books to read Mastering Private Equity. This seems to cover everything.

Are you interested in doing small PE deals as opposed to joining a PE shop? If you are into the small deals, then I would recommend the HBR Guide to Buying a Small Business, by two Harvard Business School prof's who teach  a class on going out and buying businesses (Entrepreneurship through Acquisition)  These small PE deals have  a bunch of practitioners in it who are pretty open, with various conferences.

Again for small deals, checkout the podcasts from Booth School and for both large and small deals look at case studies from the business schools and the Harvard Business Review.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations. Yes, I am looking to do PE deals indeed. As part of my job, I will be looking into South East Asian markets where private equity is typically the most practical way to invest. My background and experience is purely public equity in developed markets so this is quite an exciting challenge for me.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations. Yes, I am looking to do PE deals indeed. As part of my job, I will be looking into South East Asian markets where private equity is typically the most practical way to invest. My background and experience is purely public equity in developed markets so this is quite an exciting challenge for me.

Since, you are doing SE Asia, you might also look at what Li Liu has done at Himalayan Capital, and more importantly how he has done it. He has done spectacularly well and has Munger's seal of approve too!

I believe his biggest hits were private PE deals, which were more venture like though. There is some public literature on his approach and he has hosted some lunches, but my impression is that he (and his employees) are pretty tight lipped, as you would expect, but try anyway!  (I think one or two his employees frequent this board as well.)

Since, you are doing SE Asia, you might also look at what Li Liu has done at Himalayan Capital, and more importantly how he has done it. He has done spectacularly well and has Munger's seal of approve too!

I believe his biggest hits were private PE deals, which were more venture like though. There is some public literature on his approach and he has hosted some lunches, but my impression is that he (and his employees) are pretty tight lipped, as you would expect, but try anyway!  (I think one or two his employees frequent this board as well.)

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate that.

I've tried to follow Li Lu for quite sometime but information is pretty scarce as you said. Once in a while, I get lucky and find a speed he gave to MBA students or an interview he did with Graham & Doddsville, but they are mostly on his general investing philosophy and how he made it coming from Communist China.

But I will keep trying!