Canadian Discount Brokers

I currently use one of the larger Canadian discount online brokers for my trading.  I am just wondering if people think that there is a need to diversify across brokers?  Is it possible that due to some type of fraud whether at the company at large or by disenfranchised employee I could find I don't actually own what I think I own?  Are they audited or is there some type of government oversight that reduces this risk?  I know that any cash sitting around is covered by the government up to a limit but I am not sure about the securities.  I do so much work against the various stocks I invest in but put almost no thought into the company actually holding my investments.

Is your broker one of the big banks? While the industry funds mentioned would be sunk if one of the big banks brokers went under, I think it's a virtual certainty that the govt would consider all 5 too big too fail and would cover client losses in that unlikely event.

I use multiple brokers because:

1. 2008 proved that big, well-respected brokers can fail.

2. Investor protection (CIPF) is capped at $1M.

3. Even if investor protection were unlimited, I imagine the payout wouldn't be quick. It would be annoying and stressful waiting to get access to my money if I had it all at one broker that failed.

Richard