Berkshire Weekend - Kunal Kapoor & Bruce Flatt Dinners

Parsad

• 3 weeks later...

I hope someone asks Kapoor why the "Stock Favorites" link produces 15 companies one day & 615 the next & 115 the next, while the majority of them have zero analysis to go along with their 5 star ratings (and volatility isn't the correct answer.)

Maybe I'm missing something; is he just flashing ideas at us?

• 1 month later...

For anyone who went to the dinners, thoughts?

Having owned BAM for some time now - the major insight I picked up that I did not realize:

Many competitors (large banks) have completely exited this area, which I did not realize.

I've always worried about too much dumb money coming in, just like the re-insurance business.

There is plenty of competition - but the exit of these banks is significant and a strong advantage in my mind.

The demand side of the business is pretty obvious, but the supply side is where my concerns are..

-- This business is not as easy as it may look from the outside.

The other insight - Bruce Flatt is low key, but confident, and extremely shareholder oriented.

He refused to be put on the pedestal with Berkshire and Buffett as an equal - in spite of an

admiring and friendly crowd. This CEO is great.

One important comment: In his mind, the value of the asset management side of the business

exceeds the entire market cap of the company right now. In that regard, you just have to ask yourself

is - if you trust the guy and is he competent?

Don't be worried.

Thank you for sharing.

Did he discuss any topics that deviated from Brookfield and their industry?

I'm not too sure I understand your question - but if I do, the answer is no.

Anyone else please weigh in...

Having owned BAM for some time now - the major insight I picked up that I did not realize:

Many competitors (large banks) have completely exited this area, which I did not realize.

I've always worried about too much dumb money coming in, just like the re-insurance business.

There is plenty of competition - but the exit of these banks is significant and a strong advantage in my mind.

The demand side of the business is pretty obvious, but the supply side is where my concerns are..

The other insight - Bruce Flatt is low key, but confident, and extremely shareholder oriented.

He refused to be put on the pedestal with Berkshire and Buffett as an equal - in spite of an

One important comment: In his mind, the value of the asset management side of the business

exceeds the entire market cap of the company right now. In that regard, you just have to ask yourself

Don't be worried.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dsDmI00p8btsrXJn1

Don't be worried.

What part of the business are you referring to when you say the banks have exited this area?