Red Notice - Bill Browder

Liberty

Go ahead, what would you like to add?

Liberty,

If you read the tweet by Mr. Browder, that you linked to earlier in this topic, it contains:

BREAKING: Russian government announces opening of a new criminal case against me and various US officials involved in the creation of the Magnitsky Act...

[My emphasis here.]

Mr. Browder uses the Russian website press release as source, and by logic, you don't see any basis in that press release as basis for Mr. Browder's tweet, for the part that I've emphasized.

So, my question here is:

What is this?

1. Mr. Browder takes the public Russian statement for more than what it is, by quoting it incorrectly in his tweet, thereby elaborating on it, with no real basis?,

or

2. Mr. Browder takes the public Russian statement as par, but is in possesion of further information, which he includes in his tweet, without adressing source?

In short: Who are those public US officials, that are involved in this new [<-?] case, mentioned in the aforementioned tweet by Mr. Browder, not mentioned in the Russian Press Release?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead, what would you like to add?

Liberty,

If you read the tweet by Mr. Browder, that you linked to earlier in this topic, it contains:

BREAKING: Russian government announces opening of a new criminal case against me and various US officials involved in the creation of the Magnitsky Act...

[My emphasis here.]

Mr. Browder uses the Russian website press release as source, and by logic, you don't see any basis in that press release as basis for Mr. Browder's tweet, for the part that I've emphasized.

So, my question here is:

What is this?

1. Mr. Browder takes the public Russian statement for more than what it is, by quoting it incorrectly in his tweet, thereby elaborating on it, with no real basis?,

or

2. Mr. Browder takes the public Russian statement as par, but is in possesion of further information, which he includes in his tweet, without adressing source?

In short: Who are those public US officials, that are involved in this new [<-?] case, mentioned in the aforementioned tweet by Mr. Browder, not mentioned in the Russian Press Release?

John, it seems like I had misread your earlier post. The way I read it, it sounded a bit like: "But also look at what the Russians are saying about Browder, please go read their side of the story" and "how can he make his tweet with the linked article" as in "he has no reason to complain, he's a criminal", which elicited my reaction of "they have zero credibility" (they could accuse him of killing Archduke Ferdinand, it wouldn't change anything to me...).

Now I understand what you meant, thanks for adding further explanation.

The twitter link that I sent is a thread. If you look down it, you'll see that Browder links to other articles including this one:

https://rg.ru/2018/07/17/rf-napravit-v-ssha-zapros-o-neobhodimosti-doprosa-eks-posla-makfola.html

Translated:

Kurennoj announced the list of Americans who want to interrogate Russian investigators. Among them three members of the US National Security Agency, to testify in court. "This signed under oath the same suit in a US court with the words Browder Todd Hyman is pick up the stolen materials of the criminal case of Russian Svetlana Engert and this tutelary Browder during his stay in the United States, Alexander Shvartsman," - listed the representative of the Prosecutor General.

Also on the list interests of the Russian investigation Americans David Kramer - in the recent past, an employee of the State Department, and Assistant Secretary of State, as well as Jonathan Winer - assistant to Senator Kerry, a member of the State Department, and Assistant Secretary of State. "Incidentally, he was the first lobbyist, who began to lobby for the interests of Browder from the staff of the Department of State," - said Kurennoj.

In addition, it is Kyle Parker, in 2009, a former employee of the US Helsinki Commission, and was an assistant to the then head of the Democratic Senator Cardin. "And, of course, these are the Ziff brothers - illegal income recipients, American financiers and, in effect, long-term partners in the criminal business of William Browder," - said the representative of the Prosecutor General's Office, adding that listed the names of the list is not exhaustive.

Putin is basically trying to go after those who put sanctions on his cronies, and he knows that even if he doesn't get them, he's creating a huge chilling effect by trying to scare other officials who might think about going after the Russian Mafia by making it known that he's going to try to reach them even outside of Russia (as he has done repeatedly to Browder).

Russia is not a normal state, yet the international community kinds of pretends that it is. So it's a bit like if the local crime boss was also a police officer, and when you displease him, he can put a warrant in your name and try to make your life hell through official-looking channels and charges, picking you up in a police car while wearing a uniform, etc...

But I'm also assuming that Browder as the main target, mentioned by name by Putin in Helsinki, has more information than just what is public. He might not always have a convenient article to link to with everything in it.

If you've read Browder's book, you know that Kyle Parker was instrumental in getting the sanctions against Russia turned into law, and now Putin is also going after him:

More background here;

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/meet-the-capitol-hill-staffer-whos-in-putins-craw/

Boris Nemtsov, the Russian democracy leader who was murdered in 2015 (within sight of the Kremlin), called the Magnitsky Act “the most pro-Russian law ever enacted by a foreign government.” Putin and his network of cronies aggress against innocent Russians every day. The Magnitsky acts cramp those men’s style.

There's a podcast with Parker here:

https://ricochet.com/podcast/q-and-a/one-of-putins-wanted-the-excellent-kyle-parker/

And with Browder here:

https://ricochet.com/podcast/q-and-a/wanted-by-putin-whats-it-like-to-be-bill-browder/

In which he says that Russia has tried to pin multiple murders on him! Yes, they pretend he's a serial killer...

An interesting message is that a sustained involvement with a solid and convincing story may be sufficient to get constructive pieces of legislation through democratic institutions.

From what I've read on this topic, it appears that Russia has put an incredible amount of resources to resist the passage of the Act and associated sanctions.

Another interesting aspect is that Natalia Veselnitskaya, the lawyer with ties to the apparatchiks, who, among many interesting roles, actively lobbied against the passage of the Magnitsky Act, was part of the (in)famous June 9th, 2016 meeting where 8 people were present and where (I would guess) there was more to discuss than international child adoption practices.

Then some say that War and Peace was too melodramatic. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

The twitter link that I sent is a thread. If you look down it, you'll see that Browder links to other articles including this one:

https://rg.ru/2018/07/17/rf-napravit-v-ssha-zapros-o-neobhodimosti-doprosa-eks-posla-makfola.html

Translated:

Kurennoj announced the list of Americans who want to interrogate Russian investigators. Among them three members of the US National Security Agency, to testify in court. "This signed under oath the same suit in a US court with the words Browder Todd Hyman is pick up the stolen materials of the criminal case of Russian Svetlana Engert and this tutelary Browder during his stay in the United States, Alexander Shvartsman," - listed the representative of the Prosecutor General.

Also on the list interests of the Russian investigation Americans David Kramer - in the recent past, an employee of the State Department, and Assistant Secretary of State, as well as Jonathan Winer - assistant to Senator Kerry, a member of the State Department, and Assistant Secretary of State. "Incidentally, he was the first lobbyist, who began to lobby for the interests of Browder from the staff of the Department of State," - said Kurennoj.

In addition, it is Kyle Parker, in 2009, a former employee of the US Helsinki Commission, and was an assistant to the then head of the Democratic Senator Cardin. "And, of course, these are the Ziff brothers - illegal income recipients, American financiers and, in effect, long-term partners in the criminal business of William Browder," - said the representative of the Prosecutor General's Office, adding that listed the names of the list is not exhaustive.

Putin is basically trying to go after those who put sanctions on his cronies, and he knows that even if he doesn't get them, he's creating a huge chilling effect by trying to scare other officials who might think about going after the Russian Mafia by making it known that he's going to try to reach them even outside of Russia (as he has done repeatedly to Browder).

Translation is rather crappy - I guess Google Translate? - but hopefully the meaning is somewhat understandable. Like Liberty says, Russians want to interrogate a number of Americans who they claim are connected to "Bill Browder case".

Loved the book too.

What I can't understand is how, as a country or a leader, you can object to the Act.  Unless you are corrupt or supporting those who are corrupt, what could you possibly object to?  Why would you rail against something punishing the corrupt?  The very fact that they find it so restrictive and oppressive suggests guilt.

Loved the book too.

What I can't understand is how, as a country or a leader, you can object to the Act.  Unless you are corrupt or supporting those who are corrupt, what could you possibly object to?  Why would you rail against something punishing the corrupt?  The very fact that they find it so restrictive and oppressive suggests guilt.

Yeah. I think Putin is probably putting a lot of pressure behind the scenes...

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think this speach by Mr. Browder is much better than most of the other speaches held by him, because he in this speach is [much] more specific about the technical details in what was going on in Russia post USSR dissolution from an investment angle, likely because of the audience, so I suppose my fellow CoBF board members might think that, too.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Where do I get this book as hardcover, & new [, & in English] at a reasonable price [scalping seems to be going on on Amazon]? -I can't find it! Any help much appreciated, thank you. - Perhaps the solution is to kindly ask Mr. Browder to do a reprint of the hardcover version?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is nice to see, good way to add bite to these human rights sanctions:

This is huge. The University of Texas endowment (the largest public endowment in US) will divest from any company that does business with entities sanctioned by the US. If other endowments follow, this will crater the value of many Russian companies. Puts teeth in US sanctions

Looks like this was an initiative by Kyle Bass. Good job.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be the day. Alexander Prokopchuk, a representative for a state, that has abused the Red Notice measure several times against Mr. Browder, and thereby unelectable. Paranoia everywhere. Luckily reason is still around and kicking. South Korean Mr. Kim Jong-Yang was elected a few hours ago.

I read in the National Post this morning that a Russian is the favourite to be the next head of Interpol.  Bowder commented that he "knows his fate" if that were to happen. 

Edit: or he could resign himself to not traveling internationally.

"If a Kremlin officer is allowed to run Interpol, it will have no credibility at all. Russia already abuses it to persecute political enemies. It's putting an arsonist in charge of the fire department."

"It's a good example of the failure of engagement. Inviting dictatorships into free world institutions spreads their corruption, not liberalism or justice."

"The Nazis took over Interpol in 1938 and it was run by SS generals. If its leadership is now handed over to a general from Putin's criminal dictatorship, civilized nations must again abandon it. Dark days."

• 1 month later...

Read the book over the holidays and agree with the positive reviews. Putin has turned the Russian state into a criminal enterprise that steals from the Russian people and what they did to Sergei Magnistsky was abhorrent. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that stolen money linked to Trump's real estate ventures. Didn't Don Jr. or Eric brag about all the Russians investing in Trump property?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen this film: http://magnitskyact.com/

I have (see reply #18) and thought it was a relevant exercise as the story is fascinating and looking for discomforting evidence is a constructive analytical step.

In a balance of probability way, I came away from the movie being more convinced that Mr. Browder's case is authentic.

I was able to "catch" the movie on the internet but I hear that sites that make it available are rapidly shut down. :-X

• 1 month later...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-18/arrest-of-baring-vostok-s-michael-calvey-is-a-message-from-russia

The arrest of Michael Calvey, a U.S. citizen and one of the biggest private equity investors in Russia, sends two messages to foreign investors: The rules of the Russian business jungle apply even to those who do things by the book – and neither foreign citizenship nor a stellar investment record are grounds for an exemption. The Kremlin appears happy to underline both. ...

As for Western investment, the Kremlin knows it has already withered under heightened U.S. sanctions. Whatever happens to Calvey he is unlikely to make things worse. Foreign direct investment in Russia fell to $2.4 billion in the first nine months of 2018 from $25.8 billion in the same period in 2017.

Browder is going hard at the banks. Now Swedbank has lost 20% of market cap, ~6 B$, in two days after investigative reporting shows that transactions related to the Magnitsky case flowed through the bank.

The only language that these crooks and thugs understand is money.

I should pay more attention when Liberty recommends a book because I picked it up yesterday and couldn't put it down. Fantastic.

Perhaps the Magnitsky Act is the path to a better world. For too long these people have had their cake while eating it too;  bashing and corrupting the free world while their kids benefit from its education system, safety, and assets.  Add tiered globalization to this and there might be a way to win against the rising super authoritarian/kleptocracy regimes.

I should pay more attention when Liberty recommends a book because I picked it up yesterday and couldn't put it down. Fantastic.

Perhaps the Magnitsky Act is the path to a better world. For too long these people have had their cake while eating it too;  bashing and corrupting the free world while their kids benefit from its education system, safety, and assets.  Add tiered globalization to this and there might be a way to win against the rising super authoritarian/kleptocracy regimes.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was indeed an unexpected page-turner.

• 5 months later...

I couldn't find a topic about Bill Browder in the General Discussion forum, so I'm posting it here :

All this is actually blowing up exactly today in the Danish Press :

Boersen.dk [August 7th 2019, 21:00] Opinion - Flemming Rose: Maybe Bruun & Hjejle should have received the Cavling-prize instead?

[This is the foreword to a book [written in Danish language] to be released on August 12th 2019 called :"The wizard: The story about Danske Bank, money laundering and the man, who betrayed the world".]

Boersen.dk [August 7th 2019, 21:00] Opinion - Bill Browder : The business man Bill Browder about the money laundering case: Flemming Rose should be ashamed.

Boersen.dk [August 7th 2019, 21:00] Opinion - Berlingske - Berlingske: Flemming Rose's criticism of the money laundering case is a deep delusion - copying the already known, primarily Russian, criticism of Browder: https://borsen.dk/nyheder/opinion/artikel/1/385595/berlingske_flemming_roses_kritik_af_hvidvasksagen_er_en_dyb_vildfarelse_-_kopierer_den_allerede_kendte_primaert_russiske_kritik_af_browder.html?utm_source=opinion&utm_campaign=nyhed_04 [for a reason unknown to me, I can't fetch and embed this link]

- - - o 0 o - - -

I can't wait to lay my hands on that new book about all this mess in the beginning of next week. I may end up feeling like a victim of ticket scalping though.

Edit :

No tweet from Mr. Browder about this - hmm ...

• 6 months later...