Tesla Earnings Miss again, today?

nickenumbers
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think that the unit delivery is the best metric to look at as it can't be manipulated much.

I really want to know when investors are going to wake up and figure out when they are going to get an ROI, but I don't think that is going to happen soon.  Tesla could miss and the market is going to go, mehhh, and keep buying.

I love ELON, but TSLA is a financial black hole.

Not directing this at the OP, but the short thesis that Tesla is comprised of a bunch of crappy engineers who will never figure out how to produce a decent car seems beyond self-delusional. There's this weird personal thing from finance folks towards Musk that makes little sense to me.

I agree with people that bringing a production vehicle to market is exceptionally challenging and this uphill battle probably isn't correctly factored into the current share price.

Beyond that I don't see much intellectual honesty in the short argument.

Anyways, that's my rant for the day.

Not directing this at the OP, but the short thesis that Tesla is comprised of a bunch of crappy engineers who will never figure out how to produce a decent car seems beyond self-delusional. There's this weird personal thing from finance folks towards Musk that makes little sense to me.

I agree with people that bringing a production vehicle to market is exceptionally challenging and this uphill battle probably isn't correctly factored into the current share price.

Beyond that I don't see much intellectual honesty in the short argument.

Anyways, that's my rant for the day.

I agree, and think the value of Musk's understanding of human psychology to the viability of his businesses might be underappreciated. The stock looks at least superficially expensive to me but that's a different question entirely.

short thesis revolves around the fact that its an fundamentally flawed company never heard the crap product argument before.

There have been reports that the new vehicle Tesla is producing has MAJOR quality problems as it is being built by hand, is rushed, and so on.  There are reports of hundreds of these vehicles sitting in lots waiting to have remedial work done on them.

There are also reports that the existing higher end vehicles are having much higher defect rates than in the past.  Maybe this is a result of the new vehicle being added to the product mix?

I think Tesla's reputation for producing a quality vehicle has been damaged, but only slightly...

I think the bigger problem is that they can't profitably ramp up production of the new vehicle(s).

I've also heard industry scuttlebutt that they MAJOR procedural problems and have not nearly invested in needed infrastructure and capital equipment.  This is appearing to be the case...

I would think that is a much bigger issue at this point than quality control on the new car.  At some point I imagine they will get most of the quality issues worked out.  The real question is can they produce enough of them?  If they can produce enough, can they produce them efficiently enough to make a profit?

Of course, profits are an antiquated 20th century idea!  This is a new era, and things are different this time!