Alternatives to 13F filings - Where else does holdings data come from?

matthylland

This may be a dumb question, but after searching and finding no answer I figured I'd ask...

Where else do sites like Dataroma scrape their information from besides SEC filings?

For example, as of right now the latest update is for Tweedy Browne Value Fund: http://www.dataroma.com/m/holdings.php?m=TWEBX

Dataroma shows update as of 12-31-17. It shows sells of Kia, BRKb, SHPG, and PM.

But the latest SEC filing I see for the company was December 2nd: https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?action=getcompany&CIK=S000001301&owner=include&scd=filings&count=40 which does not include the latest portfolio changes per dataroma.

I'm just curious what I am missing anything here. Where is dataroma getting their data? Tweedy Browne website does not provide any extra info from what I can see.

The only thing I know that may be of use is that Guy Spier does not, and has not ever, filed a US 13F for his Aquamarine Fund. Dataroma et al are able to report on his holdings by obtaining a copy of his annual report.

So I guess one way would be to look at individual fund / manager / company reports or information other than 13F's. I do this for a few small European value investors.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any other advice / tips though...?

That Voodooking,

Yeah I guess the title of this post says 13Fs, but really there are many more filings than that. I see annual reports and other documents filed on the SECs site, but again, nothing that has the latest Dataroma updates.

But good point on foreign investors not reporting with SEC.

The only thing I know that may be of use is that Guy Spier does not, and has not ever, filed a US 13F for his Aquamarine Fund. Dataroma et al are able to report on his holdings by obtaining a copy of his annual report.

So I guess one way would be to look at individual fund / manager / company reports or information other than 13F's. I do this for a few small European value investors.

Guy Spier does file 13Fs: https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?CIK=0001404599&action=getcompany

However, not really sure where Dataroma is reporting the Tweedy Browne Value Fund from. Dataroma seems to also include Mutual Fund reports. Maybe the Tweedy Browne data is from that?

You're probably right about Guy. It was a couple of years ago actually that he said he'd never filed one and that's where they must have got his information from his report. He did say that he was going to start filing them though. So I guess there might be a few quarters on record now with the SEC.

Guy Spier does file 13Fs: https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?CIK=0001404599&action=getcompany

However, not really sure where Dataroma is reporting the Tweedy Browne Value Fund from. Dataroma seems to also include Mutual Fund reports. Maybe the Tweedy Browne data is from that?

Thanks jondoug