Phil Fisher's Scuttlebutt Get's Taken to Super Nasty Extremes

DooDiligence

This was interesting, the 21st century version of a musical Christmas card except you get to hear how bad a job the CEO is doing instead.

Along with paper proxy-vote cards, the hedge fund mailed rechargeable video players, slightly smaller than an iPad, loaded with a four-minute attack ad—alleging Kleinfeld “has the worst track record of any CEO in the S&P 500 over his tenure”—that played automatically when investors opened the package. Sent to tens of thousands of large retail shareholders, the gimmick alone cost Elliott as much as $3 million, proxy contest advisers estimate.

This was interesting, the 21st century version of a musical Christmas card except you get to hear how bad a job the CEO is doing instead.

Along with paper proxy-vote cards, the hedge fund mailed rechargeable video players, slightly smaller than an iPad, loaded with a four-minute attack ad—alleging Kleinfeld “has the worst track record of any CEO in the S&P 500 over his tenure”—that played automatically when investors opened the package. Sent to tens of thousands of large retail shareholders, the gimmick alone cost Elliott as much as $3 million, proxy contest advisers estimate.

Klause certainly was a douche (I’ll bet he wears monogrammed sweater vests, a lot.)

Kirchner was a loud mouthed twat too.

It all just struck me as a very different use of scuttlebutt (these guys play for keeps.)

Agree with the critics that people's personal lives and especially the personal lives of their family should be off limits. Kleinfeld did a decent job for Alcoa, but his downfall to me was overpaying for a few deals that didn't materialize. Maybe at the end of the day they do. Regardless, I think that's the lens that should be used for a CEO, not creeping into their personal affairs.

Agree with the critics that people's personal lives and especially the personal lives of their family should be off limits. Kleinfeld did a decent job for Alcoa, but his downfall to me was overpaying for a few deals that didn't materialize. Maybe at the end of the day they do. Regardless, I think that's the lens that should be used for a CEO, not creeping into their personal affairs.

++

The flipside argument is that when billions of $ are on the line, nothing is off limits when it comes to personal lives.

The flipside argument is that when billions of $ are on the line, nothing is off limits when it comes to personal lives.

Sounds like a faustian bargain, if there ever was one. I said should as I'd hope people have some personal ethics in these sorts of things.

Sounds like a faustian bargain, if there ever was one. I said should as I'd hope people have some personal ethics in these sorts of things.

Personal ethics goes out of the window way below $ billions...  :-\

Guest Cameron

I once found out one of the board members of a company I was looking at had a mistress through some of the same research described which caused me to pass on investing. Once you become a public figure I think you should expect to lose some of that privilege.

Would never have used it against them though.