Ever think of moving to Canada?

Smazz

Piggy back from the "FFH Delisting on NYSE" thread.

I have communicated with quite a few people from the South who claim they would like to move to Canada if it was not for the climate. Valuecfa mentione this in another thread.

I live in Southern On and i just went outside with no more than a hoody. Granted, first year ever we have not had snow in Nov but even if we did get snow this time of year its usually just in the form of light rain by the time it hits the ground.

Anyone else abstaining because of the weather? We have easy access to Canadian and US exchanges yaknow? ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and we can go outside in the summer during the day....

And we already have troops in Afganistan...

And we have good banks...

And we have water...

And we have less snow than Buffalo... by a long shot

And we have Walmart, Home Depot, Macdonald's and Coca Cola, and Pepsi too.

No Tiger Woods though.  We need a Tiger Woods. 

I guess everyone would move here if we had a Tiger Woods.  Good thing I can type fast.

I'm in Southern Ontario too Smazz - 50 miles North of Toronto - and in these parts when Spring rolls around we don't put the snowblowers away, we just put them off to the side!!  ;D

is that still considered Southern On? Damn, thats close to Barrie isnt it? No matter, still beautiful country.

BTW, I just went out to grab some lunch, and some guy was driving with his convertible top down -I didnt think it was that warm.

I also saw some guy riding his bike with a mattress on his head- i kid you not, I cant make this shit up!

I grew up in Chicago which, climate-wise, is much like Toronto. As a matter of fact, though I still live in the states (Dallas), I find Toronto to be more like Chicago all the way around than Dallas is.

Before moving down here, I would have gladly lived in Toronto or areas around there...but after 4 years in the south, it's going to be like pulling teeth to get me up there, especially now that NHL Network shows Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday. ;D I can live with days in the low 100's (35-37) if I do not have to deal with temps much below 20 (-6). Furthermore, we typically get a day or two each month where the temps get up to 70 (21) or so...THAT breaks up the winter quite nicely. I always told southerners that the cold winter temps "built character"...after 40+ years, I have  enough "character".

It would be nice, though, to have Tim Hortons down this way...

-Crip

Guest kawikaho

No Tiger Woods though.  We need a Tiger Woods. 

I guess everyone would move here if we had a Tiger Woods.  Good thing I can type fast.

Is that a joke?

Hi Crip,

I agree with you.  Everyone is always saying Toronto is a New York wannabe, but I really think it's alot more like Chicago with the lake and slightly smaller downtown area.  I've got to say though that downtown Chicago is beautiful...it's a hell of alot nicer than downtown Toronto and I actually prefer it to Manhattan.  The whole Millenium Park area and the views of the Chicago skyline from there are absolutely stunning!  Plus you have Steak'n Shakes!  I think the only thing Chicago loses out on is their deep-dish pizza.  I much prefer New York style pizza over Chicago deep-dish.  ;D  Cheers!

I think the only thing Chicago loses out on is their deep-dish pizza.  I much prefer New York style pizza over Chicago deep-dish. 

What!?#*!  You have got to be kidding me.

I think it is time for the administrator to close this thread. Oh, wait...

Al,

You're going to have to take me to some comparable burger joint in April then.  Otherwise you guys lose to Chicago.  There is a pizza joint in Toronto I'd like to try next time...Pizza Liberetto I think it's called.  I just read about it on the weekend.  Cheers!

Value, do you really like the deep-dish stuff?  I went to a well-known place downtown called Giordanos.  It was good, but I like my pie flat and with a nice soft, chewy blistered crust...Brooklyn style!  Cheers!

Love the deep dish. I have been to a few places in Chicago for the stuff but not yet Giordanos. It is kind of a tradition for me and the family whenever in Chicago to hit up some deep dish and catch a Second City show, and the occasional Billy Goat Tavern snack. I would love to move to Chicago over any other city in the U.S., but once again the weather is too brutal in the winter for my enjoyment. I was there for one Thanksgiving and it was miserably cold and windy, but i agree that the views of downtown are incredible. I like my summers to be above 80 F. I love the winter but only for a few months out of the year. I would hate to live in a place where i would have to wear a heavy jacket more than 6 months out of the year. I figure Toronto might fit that bill similar to Chicago. Both beautiful cities, but cold most of the year.

My friend owns an Italian Cafe - makes fresh thin crust pizza - its to die for, but its on Burlington Lakeshore- a bit down south from TO. Also makes authentic Italian Bread and pastries etc.

The place has been written up in magazines many times. 

Guest Broxburnboy

I think I have the best of both worlds. I am a Canadian citizen living in Calgary during the summer (golf season) and Bucerias, Mexico, near Puerto Vallarta in the winter ( I am here now). I am looking out over my balcony, through the palm trees and out over Banderas Bay. I assure you it beats the view out my Calgary window right now. The Pizza from the local bar, YoYo Mo's, is quite decent as well.

Being self employed (read slacking off) and living off investment gains means all I need is an internet connection and my laptop. I use Skype for my telephone service and interrupt my hectic schedule for bouts of deep sea fishing off the nearby coast of Punta de Mita.

I heartily recommend the dual location lifestyle!

Cheers