I am done with Interactive Brokers! (2019 update: I am back to IB)

muscleman

1 hour ago, RedLion said:

I'm looking for an easy way to look at my YTD dividends/interest/st/lt realized gains. It seems like the only way to get this is to run an activity report for the YTD and then parse the relevant information.

I had a similar challenge. What I ended up doing is creating a custom report and then I run it and view the PDF. Not sure if there is a better way...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all very much for the good recommendations, I'm going to find some time to figure out how to make a custom report. I like to keep this information handy enough so that I can try to make tax forecasting decisions and look at possible tax loss harvesting. I figured out what I needed today, it just took me about 45 minutes, and switching from my phone to my laptop. Kind of crazy they can't just include this with the 7 million other buttons and options and ESG reports popups etc. 

7 hours ago, RedLion said:

I switched over to interactive brokers a couple months ago, and am overall pleased with the move, but there are a few things that are driving me a little crazy. Maybe I just don't know how to use this correctly, maybe someone has a workaround. 

I'm looking for an easy way to look at my YTD dividends/interest/st/lt realized gains. It seems like the only way to get this is to run an activity report for the YTD and then parse the relevant information. There has to be a simpler way to view this information. These are all pretty standard and easily accessible with Schwab and other brokerages, so I'm sure I'm just a luddite that can't figure it out. 

Another annoying thing, I have some TIPS with market value that regularly but not all the time get misreported on the mobile app which throws off the daily P&L figures. 

Also, I've got to say, I looked at the amount of interest I've been making on stock lent out by IKBR, and it's negligible. I'm going to try to opt out. 

Sounds like the shares you own aren't highly shorted or in demand. 

I also make negligible interest on my securities at IBKR. But something is better than nothing which is basically what I get elsewhere. If you want to earn "real" interest, then you need to own something highly in demand by shorts willing to pay high rates to short it....which may not end well for you. 

1 hour ago, TwoCitiesCapital said:

Sounds like the shares you own aren't highly shorted or in demand. 

I also make negligible interest on my securities at IBKR. But something is better than nothing which is basically what I get elsewhere. If you want to earn "real" interest, then you need to own something highly in demand by shorts willing to pay high rates to short it....which may not end well for you. 

There comes a point where I would rather not participate in lending my shares for 0.5% or less to someone taking the other side of the transaction.