AirBnb Rant - Photos not representative of the Product

BG2008

So, I just booked a room via AirBnb today in a college town that has a defined safe area and areas that are rather undesirable.  I hate that AirBnb recently started not disclosing addresses of the apt or house.  I booked what I thought was a decent accommodation, at least via the interior.  Once I received the address, it became very apparent that I would not have booked the place had I seen the location from the outside.  This is likely a situation in New York City, Chicago, and really any city that has potential rough neighborhoods.  By omitting the address, AirBnb is really offering a Priceline Express like product.  I am also getting fed up with low headline figures and then they add on all the cleaning fees etc.  I feel that for a neighborhood that is consistent, AirBnb is fine.  But for neighborhoods where 2 blocks makes all the difference, this can be a game changer when I know exactly where the Marriott or Hyatt is located at. 

Has anyone else experience this lately?

I don't remember Air BnB ever including the exact address in the listing, but I suppose some 'hosts' put it in voluntarily.  If you think it might be an issue, just ask for the exact location / address when you correspond with the host before you book the place.  The cleaning fee is nothing new, different people charge different amounts but it is always disclosed in the listing, along with how strict their cancellation policy is, etc.. 

Guest MikeTheCannon

My problem with AirBnB is that your host can cancel on you without any penalties. And I'm not talking weeks or months out, I'm talking about cancelling two days before. There's no repercussions to the host: no fee is paid and no review can be left.

My problem with AirBnB is that your host can cancel on you without any penalties. And I'm not talking weeks or months out, I'm talking about cancelling two days before. There's no repercussions to the host: no fee is paid and no review can be left.

This is simply untrue.

1) The host loses all revenue from that booking and the days are automatically blocked by Airbnb so they are unable to replace that revenue if they change their minds

2) For every cancellation after the first, in a 12-month period, the host has to pay $50 penalty

3) An automatic review is left on the hosts page disclosing not only the cancellation, but how far before the trip it occurred letting other guests know just how considerate or inconsiderate the host was with the cancellation disclosure

4) The host loses the opportunity to become a "super host" which are the prioritized listings that you will see first in the area so it cuts down on traffic and future revenue.

Maybe that means nothing to you as an individual because none of that benefits you, but cancellations can be quite detrimental to a hosts annual income from property.

So, I just booked a room via AirBnb today in a college town that has a defined safe area and areas that are rather undesirable.  I hate that AirBnb recently started not disclosing addresses of the apt or house.  I booked what I thought was a decent accommodation, at least via the interior.  Once I received the address, it became very apparent that I would not have booked the place had I seen the location from the outside.  This is likely a situation in New York City, Chicago, and really any city that has potential rough neighborhoods.  By omitting the address, AirBnb is really offering a Priceline Express like product.  I am also getting fed up with low headline figures and then they add on all the cleaning fees etc.  I feel that for a neighborhood that is consistent, AirBnb is fine.  But for neighborhoods where 2 blocks makes all the difference, this can be a game changer when I know exactly where the Marriott or Hyatt is located at. 

Has anyone else experience this lately?

Agreed on the pricing. As a host, I always felt it was misleading to having cleaning fees and etc. I have a single headline price that is inclusive of all my expenses. What you see in the search is what you pay on my page.

As for the exact address, I would suggest just discussing the exact address with your host prior to completing the booking. As a host myself, I don't disclose my address either. Not because I'm looking to deceive my guests (4.7 rating over hundreds of guests over a 6 year period), but because I'm looking to avoid the headache of having this argument with my landlord about the legality of it and whether or not he can simply change the terms of my lease in the middle of the lease period (he can't...doesn't stop the argument).

I imagine most hosts in big city hosts are similarly looking to avoid this conflict and therefore make it harder for their landlords/building owners/co-op boards and etc. to discover their activities by not disclosing the exact address except to confirmed reservations.

Agreed on the pricing. As a host, I always felt it was misleading to having cleaning fees and etc. I have a single headline price that is inclusive of all my expenses. What you see in the search is what you pay on my page.

That's smart. Those charges annoy the hell outta me. Not so much because I have to pay extra. I know they exist. It's more that I'll look at some places, jot down some of the prices and then if I go to look them up later it's hard to find them cause the prices on the big map won't match. Annoying!

Guest MikeTheCannon

This is simply untrue.

1) The host loses all revenue from that booking and the days are automatically blocked by Airbnb so they are unable to replace that revenue if they change their minds

2) For every cancellation after the first, in a 12-month period, the host has to pay $50 penalty

3) An automatic review is left on the hosts page disclosing not only the cancellation, but how far before the trip it occurred letting other guests know just how considerate or inconsiderate the host was with the cancellation disclosure

4) The host loses the opportunity to become a "super host" which are the prioritized listings that you will see first in the area so it cuts down on traffic and future revenue.

Maybe that means nothing to you as an individual because none of that benefits you, but cancellations can be quite detrimental to a hosts annual income from property.

Well I'll be damned! Thanks for clarifying!