Where do you read stock/investing news? I plan to build a news reader

Alex_Lee

Hi Community,

I'm tried of the Ads and the low quality news from Yahoo Finance and Google Finance. Where do you read stock news? I plan to build a stock news reader to aggregate relative high quality articles into one User Friendly interface.

Please let me know your news source and I'll consider add news into the news reader. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

The basic requirements in my mind right now.

1. One user interface to read all source.

2. Should filter the news source.

3. Should display the news I'm interested filter by tickers.

4. Should include SEC filings

5. Should include Press Release

6. User can save their personalized settings like the watch lists and filters.

7. Email alerts and email news source filter

8. User can have several template filter settings, user can switch settings for different companies easily.

9. Sec filings filter

10. Include a tag to note whether an article is behind a paywall or not

Please help to add this list.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

------------------------------

Update 1.

I just made a demo. The user interface will be something like this. Will display the article source. The user can click the title to go to the article website to read.

GRuMZr1.png

------------------------

Update 2          11/07/2017

Thanks for your suggestions! Please try the stock news website https://finreader.com

I'm still working on the contents and the User Interface.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I have Google alerts set for all of the company names and ticker symbols for the stocks I own or am watching.  This gives me daily emails with news from all different sources.  A lot of junk/uninteresting news to sort through though, especially for the larger companies.  I find this method very useful for small caps and less so for a company like Apple.

I have Google alerts set for all of the company names and ticker symbols for the stocks I own or am watching.  This gives me daily emails with news from all different sources.  A lot of junk/uninteresting news to sort through though, especially for the larger companies.  I find this method very useful for small caps and less so for a company like Apple.

Thank you very much! I'll add email alerts and email filtering into the requirement. So you can choose the email alerts news source.

I think that's a great idea and would definitely use it. I use seekingalpha today. Their news feed is best I've been able to find. It aggregates press releases and articles from their community. The press releases are really helpful, as well as the bulleted content that they write (example: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3303504-chipotle-limps-q3-results). Mixed in there is a ton of user generated content, most of which is low quality. The user generated articles on less covered companies are usually decent, but if you also follow more popular large cap companies there ends up being way too many articles on them. Most of the large cap articles have nothing new to say. I think as an SA author you get paid per view so if you can crank out articles on Chipotle's queso it's more profitable than a deep dive analysis of Macro's new pipeline contract.

That looks like a really good set of features. One feature modification I think would be really nice is if you could filter type of content to include. Most of the time I don't want to see every SEC filing for a large cap because I don't want to see every change in beneficial ownership. Sometimes it's helpful to see though.

Also, seekingalpha doesn't really work with international listings. That probably isn't something you'd include in stage 1, but would be nice at some point.

I think that's a great idea and would definitely use it. I use seekingalpha today. Their news feed is best I've been able to find. It aggregates press releases and articles from their community. The press releases are really helpful, as well as the bulleted content that they write (example: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3303504-chipotle-limps-q3-results). Mixed in there is a ton of user generated content, most of which is low quality. The user generated articles on less covered companies are usually decent, but if you also follow more popular large cap companies there ends up being way too many articles on them. Most of the large cap articles have nothing new to say. I think as an SA author you get paid per view so if you can crank out articles on Chipotle's queso it's more profitable than a deep dive analysis of Macro's new pipeline contract.

That looks like a really good set of features. One feature modification I think would be really nice is if you could filter type of content to include. Most of the time I don't want to see every SEC filing for a large cap because I don't want to see every change in beneficial ownership. Sometimes it's helpful to see though.

Also, seekingalpha doesn't really work with international listings. That probably isn't something you'd include in stage 1, but would be nice at some point.

Thank you very much for your input, I'll add "User can have several template filter settings, user can switch settings for different companies easily. " and "sec filings type filer"

I'm also really tired of the poor quality articles that show up on Google and Yahoo Finance sites. I've tried several (OK, maybe all) of the apps and haven't been happy with any of them.

I'd like to see a SeekingAlpha like app without any of the SA articles; I just want the press releases and articles from professional sources (i.e WSJ)

Also, I'd like to see all the news stories from all of my holdings included in date order. I don't want to have to click on each of my holdings to see their particular news stories.

Now, if you can have this available on a website and as an app (Android please!) I'll be very happy.

I'm also really tired of the poor quality articles that show up on Google and Yahoo Finance sites. I've tried several (OK, maybe all) of the apps and haven't been happy with any of them.

I'd like to see a SeekingAlpha like app without any of the SA articles; I just want the press releases and articles from professional sources (i.e WSJ)

Also, I'd like to see all the news stories from all of my holdings included in date order. I don't want to have to click on each of my holdings to see their particular news stories.

Now, if you can have this available on a website and as an app (Android please!) I'll be very happy.

Thanks for your suggestions! I think it can be done. I'll make the website mobile friendly also. I'll consider mobile app for the next step if users like the content of the website.

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

Thanks for your suggestions! I think it can be done. I'll make the website mobile friendly also. I'll consider mobile app for the next step if users like the content of the website.

Perhaps include a tag to note whether an article is behind a paywall or not

Thank you very much! Actually, I meet this problem almost every day.  I clicked the links and got blocked by the paywall. Totally waste of time. This will be recorded in the requirements.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a suggestion.  A way to refresh your search.  I punched three symbols into the search bar yesterday.  Today my tab was still open and I wanted to re-do the same search.  The search bar looked like the picture attached.  Hitting the magnifying-glass icon did nothing.  Using the browser refresh cleared all the symbols and I had to retype them in.  There should be a way to re-run the search with the same symbols that you have already typed in.

Maybe this exists already and I just couldn't figure it out.

searchbar.thumb.jpg.e2825dde37bfeea8eec977734df1d19f.jpg

This is a really great idea Alex and I wish you the best with it.

If you can figure out how to save customers time and give them relevant news in a clear way I think it will do really well.  There is a lot of room for a comprehensive finance site that doesn't overload users with annoying, slow loading advertising.  Take a little less money and you can own the world. 

Yahoo has gone to the toilet and has gotten worse over the years.  Google finance is mediocre and has not improved.  Morningstar has done a decent job with a lot of the fundamental data.  I don't like their new site though.

I use finviz for news.

2  suggestions:

1.  Make the background white.  David Ogilvy did some advertising studies and found that black letters on a white background was much clearer to his readers.  I have consistently found this too.

2.  Be careful about putting junk sources of news in there.  Too many sources is a waste of users time.  Perhaps a way to turn on/off certain sources would be good.

When I looked at this, it seemed that a lot of news are from finance.yahoo.com which is itself a syndication of news sources, some of which are quite crappy. It's gonna be hard to achieve news quality if site points to finance.yahoo.com.

Good luck