Whitney Tilson is shutting down his hedge fund

Liberty

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy crap, I just read all of today's posts on here.  Can I have my 5 minutes back?

Oh come on man. You weren't at least a little bit entertained?  ;)

Wikipedia : Whitney Tilson.

... In 2003 the Securities & Exchange Commission ordered Tilson to pay 1.5 million dollars in restitution for defrauding "public investors by disseminating false information in several Internet newsletters."[4] ...

- - - o 0 o - - -

Why is Mr. Tilson even worth the time talking about?

I think most people are here cos of quarantine and need a good laugh.

Wikipedia : Whitney Tilson.

... In 2003 the Securities & Exchange Commission ordered Tilson to pay 1.5 million dollars in restitution for defrauding "public investors by disseminating false information in several Internet newsletters."[4] ...

- - - o 0 o - - -

Why is Mr. Tilson even worth the time talking about?

I think most people are here cos of quarantine and need a good laugh.

That's to me certainly OK, randomep.

I'm not a big fan of the American obsession with this notion either.  In fact I think it's unfortunate. 

But, although I'm American, I'm also what people call a third culture kid, so I don't think my views are representative of the general population here.

It's an unfortunate view, but it's somewhat supported by data in America.

While most of the world pulls teachers/professors from the upper quintiles of students, teachers in America tend to be more representative of the lower quintiles. That doesn't mean there aren't good teachers, or smart teachers, but that they are vastly outnumbered.

Wow, that is an "interesting" claim, can you elaborate on why this is so? and how you know it to be so?

I remember seeing stats on it years ago when I was in college. A quick Google search suggests that McKinsey did a nationwide study as recently as 2010 that determined ~ 1/3 of teachers were recruited from the bottom quartile of graduating students, but not sure if that's the same data I saw in college.

It's my understanding there have been improvements in recent years in some localized areas, but it's not as if all the bad teachers hired in the late90s/early 2000s have been let go. It takes years for these types of systems to incrementally improve.

Whitney Tilson sent me a "1 hour left" offer to be a founding partner.  I think i peed a little when I saw it..

I have been waiting my whole life for this opportunity.

Whitney-

He knows more ways to take your money than a roomful of lawyers.

He’s more slippery than a pocketful of pudding.

Whitney’s on a first-name basis with the bottom of the deck.

I saw this comment by MJS27 on VIC the other day and had a chuckle.

"i just got a message from a NYC based LP saying, "do you know a Whitney Tilson? He is riding his bike all over the city personally testing people for coronavirus."

so i suspect before long we'll have some completely non promotional data on NYC's infection rate"

Whitney Tilson sent me a "1 hour left" offer to be a founding partner.  I think i peed a little when I saw it..

I have been waiting my whole life for this opportunity.

Whitney-

He knows more ways to take your money than a roomful of lawyers.

He’s more slippery than a pocketful of pudding.

Whitney’s on a first-name basis with the bottom of the deck.

What do you have to do to get in? PM me please!