If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...

Liberty

i get the 'old' google finance if i sign-out from google

if i sign in , i get the new version. 

without signing in google tracks about a dozen stocks as 'recently' viewed... that's enough for me.. i only look at 10 at the most

Doesn't work for me, even if I go in private browsing mode.

What I liked about the old Google Finance was the speed of it, the automated news tracking next to each chart, the "related" stocks from the same industry, and the real-time watchlist in a pretty small amount of vertical space. Could keep an eye on a long list of 50-100 stocks, and if something suddenly pops up 10% or down 10%, I can quickly have a look and see if there's any news, and if it's something from my "patience" watchlist, maybe decide if a buying opportunity is coming...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i get the 'old' google finance if i sign-out from google

if i sign in , i get the new version. 

without signing in google tracks about a dozen stocks as 'recently' viewed... that's enough for me.. i only look at 10 at the most

This may be it. I don't have a google account. So there's that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Google finance will be back. The team took it down to build the platform from scratch.

Source of this information? Thanks

Why would they need to take down the old one to build a new one?

It's like this: you buy an old crappy house; first you demolish it, then you remove the rubble, then you build a new one on the empty space that you cleaned up.

Edit: this is parody/sarcasm/joke/etc. for fun deprived.

You don't need to shut down a legacy product and deprive users of its benefits to build a new product from scratch.

It's not that there is no additional 'land' (servers) to build the second system on.

I'd believe that whatever they replaced old Google Finance with had atrocious usage decline and they decided to do a v3.

I do agree that Google sometimes shoots itself in the foot with product abandonment and casts doubt on continued support for a lot of new platforms where they need external developers to believe in sufficient support to be motivated to provide content. I have no idea of the cost of sustaining the old Google Finance while they developed a new version, though I'm well aware that skilled human effort is required to fix things that break due to outside influences (e.g. data feeds changing format, stocks with corporate actions such as stock splits and divestments and much more besides), so it's not as simple as some might think to keep everything that was there running. Nonetheless, they have to be aware of the potential to lose users and the long-term cost of that too.

I have noticed a number of changes to the way the Google Sheets function GOOGLEFINANCE() works over time and updates to their Help documentation about it, indicating that they've probably been making a lot of changes behind the scenes. I think they have been switching over data suppliers etc. (hence support for certain ticker formats changing, such as 123.TO becoming TSE:123 and all exchanges being able to be explicitly specified) and probably replacing a lot of old code that had probably grown and spaghettified to handle the changing data formats from various suppliers of financial data.

I suspect this became problematic to maintain and is being rewritten from scratch, perhaps with a different strategic approach using modern formats that offer advantages, and a different type of strategy, especially for dealing with historical data (such as EPS and prices adjusted for splits and currency changes etc).

Certain odd things I could use in Google Sheets functions for simplicity that once worked ended up broken permanently or worked only sporadically, such as converting currencies to themselves or their sub-divisions such as pennies (e.g. USDUSD or GBXGBP) so I had to modify my spreadsheets to catch these cases and manually put in 1 or 0.01 etc. instead of calling GoogleFinance. But it remains a very powerful function, and it's possible to do some pretty good stuff with it in spreadsheets.

I am liking some of the things they're changing (either that or things I'm only now discovering that were changed a long time ago), and I think it may help to make things quite robust, but I'm also glad that I have been using it in my own spreadsheets to help track my portfolio rather than relying on their Google Finance website portfolio functions which have been disrupted.

And there are certainly a number of things where I rely on a whole host of different sites for certain data that matter to me at least somewhat, but don't seem to be widely used (e.g. FTSE100 Total Return Index). Fortunately SP500TR is on Google Finance.

• 1 year later...

Looks OK but still not as nice as their previous offering. I migrated to Yahoo Finance for casual market information, I like that I can add select fields to the table view of a customized portfolio.

+1 for Koyfin.  I like that it has 1) international data including Canada. 2) You can plot ratios (say EV/EBITDA) over a long time period.  Although the data is not 100% reliable, but better than most of the solutions out there.