If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...

Liberty

... Let Google know (feedback form at the bottom of Finance page) you'd like them to keep the portfolio feature. They're removing it soon.

http://phandroid.com/2017/09/22/google-finance-update/

They're completely incompetent with all their second tier products. They used to own the RSS market but killed Google Reader a few years ago rather than just put a couple engineers on it and keep it in maintenance mode. Looks like Google Finance might suffer a similar fate over time..

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Google is soooo annoying.

It seems that every time I have set up something with Google it gets discontinued after a few years.

Google’s personalized home page, Picasa, Google’s portfolio feature. They have had some very nice features, but as soon as you begin to rely on them they tend to vanish.

Google is soooo annoying.

It seems that every time I have set up something with Google it gets discontinued after a few years.

Google’s personalized home page, Picasa, Google’s portfolio feature. They have had some very nice features, but as soon as you begin to rely on them they tend to vanish.

I really miss Google home page, I loved it. I've tried others but none have the ease of use and options that Google home page did.

I don't think this can come as a big surprise. They haven't updated anything on Google Finance for years and years.

I do hope that they aren't going to break the GoogleFinance functions in Google Drive though, I'm using those a lot!

The surprise is that a company with tens of thousands of engineers and infinite resources can't put one person part-time on just maintaining a page and maybe fixing a few bugs.. Maybe do a 6-month project to build HTML5 charts and then after that just maintain it..?

augustabound:

Ditto, If you ever find a good replacement let me know. Google comes up with features like the personalized home page - which i found excellent - and after a while you tend to rely on it but then Google just drops it. I have used igHome but it is not near as good as Google was. I don't know how much it would take on Google's part to keep features like these going but one would think it would be very small in the overall picture.

I use a Google portfolio as well. I have a long list of stocks I follow and Google's solution was very useful at keeping an eye on price movements. FT.com has a portfolio feature as well and I'll probably be using that in the future, as well as a Google spreadsheet.

This is just typical Google behavior by now. It seems that anything that doesn't add to the bottom line gets eliminated. And that is fair to some extent: they have no obligation to continue to offer features that don't make money. I do think they should then stop introducing other free services/features that have no shot at ever making money. The value of free services for Google lies in the information that users hand over. Gmail is valuable to them, because they scan your e-mails, which helps them to target their ads much better. A list of stock tickers doesn't really help them in that regard and this was clear from the start. So why offer a portfolio feature in the first place if you can't charge users and the data you receive from them isn't valuable?

Seems like people here haven't actually read the article. While they are discontinuing the Portfolio feature of Google Finance, they've actually confirmed they're going to be developing the Google Finance product again for the first time in years. Overall, this seems like a good thing to me since Yahoo Finance is pretty crappy..

Unless they develop Google finance the same way Yahoo Finance was developed last couple of years. Which was basically make it more unusable.

We'll see I guess.

Mostly though it seems that companies are just killing the API/programatic access to finance data. Microsoft/MSN data access in Excel was killed. A lot of Excel SMF Add In data accesses through various sites/companies are dead or half dead.

Seems like people here haven't actually read the article. While they are discontinuing the Portfolio feature of Google Finance, they've actually confirmed they're going to be developing the Google Finance product again for the first time in years. Overall, this seems like a good thing to me since Yahoo Finance is pretty crappy..

Seems like they are removing one of the major features of it, which doesn't really translate to developing the product. We'll see, but based on their track record, it doesn't augur well.

Seems like they are removing one of the major features of it, which doesn't really translate to developing the product. We'll see, but based on their track record, it doesn't augur well.

Given that it's a super old site that has never been updated I assume that they are probably going to develop the replacement from scratch or something close to it. Spending significant resources on making it possible to transport user data from the old site to the new site is presumably not worth it, especially if the new feature is going to have different features and/or data sources.

Given that it's a super old site that has never been updated I assume that they are probably going to develop the replacement from scratch or something close to it. Spending significant resources on making it possible to transport user data from the old site to the new site is presumably not worth it, especially if the new feature is going to have different features and/or data sources.

That's the optimistic scenario. I give it a 20% probability.

Migrating structured data this simple is a piece of cake for Google.

I use a Google portfolio as well. I have a long list of stocks I follow and Google's solution was very useful at keeping an eye on price movements.

Same here, I use google finance portfolios daily. Unlike other websites, there's no limit on the number of portfolios or stocks within a portfolio.

Visually, all stocks across all portfolios are visible in one scroll, showing daily price movement. And within each portfolio, there is a variety of stats and charts. the features in FT are quite limited. Can anyone recommend a good substitute?

That's the optimistic scenario. I give it a 20% probability.

Migrating structured data this simple is a piece of cake for Google.

This Marketwatch article has some more details: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/google-finance-as-you-know-it-is-going-away-here-is-what-will-remain-2017-09-27

It sounds pretty horrible:

To replace the outgoing features, Google said that it plans to migrate users’ portfolios to Google’s search product, which will aim to analyze users’ interests and provide a report for users.

“As part of this updated experience, you’ll still be able to follow the stocks you’re interested in and receive the latest industry news and market trends, but the Portfolios feature will no longer be available as part of the service,” a Google spokeswoman wrote in an emailed statement.

RIP.

Next thing the email feature of Gmail will be replaced with an interactive game of telephone.

LOL.

To replace the outgoing Gmail features, Google said that it plans to migrate users’ emails to Google’s search product, which will aim to analyze users’ interests and provide a report for users.

In other words, instead of sending and receiving emails, you'll be able to post something you write on the Internetz and intended recipient can search for it.

8)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI - the old google finance site is still available at http://finance.google.com/finance, though it is left to be seen when they will completely kill it.

This morning that redirected to the new thing, now it's there again... I hope they keep it as a separate thing, maybe someday update the charts to HTML5 and then not touch it again. They can keep the in-search finance stuff if they want, but it's not a replacement for a fast site with high density of info where you can keep an eye on dozens of tickers at a glance.

At the bottom of the new finance pages there's a "send feedback link". I encourage people displeased with this change to send a little something. You never know what might reach the right ears...

I exported my various portfolios to csv files. The old google finance is still working on my desktop (but not mobile).

When they finally kill it, I'll probably create google sheets which auto-update, unless I can find a good online replacement.

Someone recommended StockMarketEye to me. You can try it 30 days for free and if you like it it costs $100 as a one-time payment (no recurring subscription). It automatically imports price data from Google Finance and/or Yahoo Finance. You can set up multiple alerts for when a stock crosses a certain price or e.g. if the stock moves more than 5% in a day. So far it seems nice. The only thing I don't like is that it when an alert gets triggered, it seems to shows that only in the program and not pop it up to the desktop. I normally avoid checking my stocks every day to foster a longer-term mindset, but without the pop-up I kinda have to check them to see if an alert got triggered.