Insurance + Reinsurance

ValueMaven

Guest longinvestor

Does anyone really know exactly what's on the books of any one insurance/reinsurace company?

Would be interesting to see what impact this has on Berkshire's insurance; They supposedly are writing less cat insurance. We will see this quarter. Also, with the benign years now gone with this year the relative impact on other insurers vis a vis Berkshire would be relevant.

Didn't he just say they haven't written any Cat in 6 years?  Honestly, I've kind of been waiting for UVE or peers to file and BRK to get back in the market before looking hard at you know P&C insurers in general.  Wonder what Markel has going, with the acquisitions especially.  Would sort of save me some brain damage/time if some of these supposed Berkalikes get exposed has having ignored WEB on the risk/reward in a major way.

I bought AXS, RE and a bit of AHL. Those stocks have been battered enough discounting a 100 year event. I think the well managed insurers keep exposure to a 100 year event to <20 % of their book value.

Agreed - I picked up XL Group on Thursday...the Storm's path has shifted materially to the western part of FL, which is less density populated then FL's eastern cost...

• 1 month later...