Solar eclipse

Jurgis

Maybe this is gonna be a more fun thread for General.  8) <--- oh, look these are my eclipse glasses.  8)

Anyone's going to watch? Going to path of totality?

I have tickets to Kansas City and clouds are predicted.  :'(  :'(  :'( What to do, what to do? Try to change to Nashville, not to go at all...  :'( Ah those investment decisions about the future.  :'(

When you get there rent a car. Figure out the path and drive along until you get clear sky.

Yeah, I have a car... but also have a flight back that constraints how far I can drive... and it's not clear how bad the roads gonna be. There's a map that shows "closest totality point by car" using road network. Kansas City is closest for all of Texas... If they decide to come, it's gonna be gridlock for hundreds of miles.

It's gonna be an adventure...  8)

Maybe this is gonna be a more fun thread for General.  8) <--- oh, look these are my eclipse glasses.  8)

I have tickets to Kansas City and clouds are predicted.  :'(  :'(  :'( What to do, what to do? Try to change to Nashville, not to go at all...  :'( Ah those investment decisions about the future.  :'(

Are you "flying your Lear jet up to Kansas City to see the total eclipse of the sun."

Enjoy. I have class right in the middle of it.

I'm near the sweet spot in Oregon and will be staying with family for the "event".

Oregon is a small state population-wise and the totality is in the rural areas generally. It is going to be a shit show I'm pretty sure.

Supposedly 1m+ people coming to a state with ~4m folks and they are going to go hang out in towns with two lane roads and infrastructure made for 25k people.

Search and rescue guys I know are gearing up for forest fires getting started by city folk who don't know how to camp and I have heard some hospitals are asking workers to stay home since no ambulances or people will be able to get to hospitals anyway (!!).

Hopefully the spectacle will equal the minutes of darkness. ;)

I'm near the sweet spot in Oregon and will be staying with family for the "event".

Oregon is a small state population-wise and the totality is in the rural areas generally. It is going to be a shit show I'm pretty sure.

Supposedly 1m+ people coming to a state with ~4m folks and they are going to go hang out in towns with two lane roads and infrastructure made for 25k people.

Search and rescue guys I know are gearing up for forest fires getting started by city folk who don't know how to camp and I have heard some hospitals are asking workers to stay home since no ambulances or people will be able to get to hospitals anyway (!!).

Hopefully the spectacle will equal the minutes of darkness. ;)

Honestly the event itself isn't that impressive. It's pretty much like you've seen on TV in documentaries or simulations.

What I've found really interesting is the weird light you get just before/just after the event and how all of nature goes dead quiet all of a sudden.

Are you "flying your Lear jet up to Kansas City to see the total eclipse of the sun."

If it was a Lear Jet, I'd redirect it to Nashville pronto.  :-\  8)

Too cheap to dump $2K to change tickets to Nashville...

Oh well, I won't tell anyone I'm cheap. Just gonna say it's all for adventure!  8)

Oh well, I won't tell anyone I'm cheap. Just gonna say it's all for adventure!  8)

Everyone is probably too young here to get my song reference!

Ha!  You probably think that song is about you!  Don't you Mike?  Don't you???

I wish Carly was singing about me! That was one great album cover!

Geaux Saints! I hope we surprise this year!

Ha!  You probably think that song is about you!  Don't you Mike?  Don't you???

I hope you got to see some of it, what did you end up doing?

I took my wife and kids up to Menan, Idaho along with a big group of neighbor friends (we drove around 4 hours to get there)  Camped out Sunday night, then played sun / moon / eclipse songs all morning while we waited.  I took a few videos: one with a DJI drone to see the 360 degree sunset, and one from a small camcorder on a tripod.  When C2 hit and there was a big black disc where the sun had been... my brain blew a fuse, and all I could do was scream like I was at a cosmic rock concert.  I saw the 2012 annular eclipse in Saint George, Utah, but it was nothing compared to a total. 

"Happy eclipse, folks. It is ill-advised that you stare directly into the sun with your naked eyes during today’s cosmological event — just ask these dudes who tried it the last time around — unless you’d like to risk permanent vision damage. That is … it is ill-advised unless you’re Donald Trump, who apparently doesn’t need special eclipse glasses.[...]"

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/08/trump-stared-into-sun-without-glasses-during-eclipse.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-t

GettyImages-836311244_w710_h473.jpg.b8e4dcea37d147db80dc66ab4c3a2fc3.jpg

I took my wife and kids up to Menan, Idaho along with a big group of neighbor friends (we drove around 4 hours to get there)  Camped out Sunday night, then played sun / moon / eclipse songs all morning while we waited.  I took a few videos: one with a DJI drone to see the 360 degree sunset, and one from a small camcorder on a tripod.  When C2 hit and there was a big black disc where the sun had been... my brain blew a fuse, and all I could do was scream like I was at a cosmic rock concert.  I saw the 2012 annular eclipse in Saint George, Utah, but it was nothing compared to a total.

We didn't go.  :( The weather prediction was pretty bad (although ultimately it seems there were some openings in the clouds). We saw the partial (63%), which is of course not comparable to total.

Well, another time...  8)

Glad that you guys had a great time.  8)

We didn't go.  :( The weather prediction was pretty bad (although ultimately it seems there were some openings in the clouds). We saw the partial (63%), which is of course not comparable to total.

Well, another time...  8)

Glad that you guys had a great time.  8)

Next one is in seven years!  The path of totality crosses my parent's house, so it seems like I'll get to see a full one.  I've already started to invite friends up there to join us.

"Happy eclipse, folks. It is ill-advised that you stare directly into the sun with your naked eyes during today’s cosmological event — just ask these dudes who tried it the last time around — unless you’d like to risk permanent vision damage. That is … it is ill-advised unless you’re Donald Trump, who apparently doesn’t need special eclipse glasses.[...]"

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/08/trump-stared-into-sun-without-glasses-during-eclipse.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-t

Or unless you're an alien...

but then I repeat myself...  8)

("This explains a lot of things" - Men in Black)