Why would the US gov support cryptocurrency?

flesh

1. Another way to increase money supply=achieving inflation goals.

Basically this is the crux for me, if govt's begin to criminalize these, there will be problems. I'm trying to understand why governments would support crypto.

Personally, I don't think the feds really know what to make of cryptocurrencies yet.  It looks like they are watching to see what happens.

I'm actually surprised they haven't tried to either ban it outright and/or create their own "FedCoin" which would be "legal tender" on par with the dollar where they would control the blockchain and be able to inflate it at will. 

It is too late now however, just like the mass-adoption of the web, it caught them by surprise and they can't really control it.

It is too late now however, just like the mass-adoption of the web, it caught them by surprise and they can't really control it.

Exactly, it is now up to the early adopters, blockchain companies, and institutional investors with deep pockets to lobby for favorable crypto laws.

Exactly, it is now up to the early adopters, blockchain companies, and institutional investors with deep pockets to lobby for favorable crypto laws.

If crypto mkt cap was 400 billion or 4 trillion.... with many transactions that are otherwise taxable going untaxed, wouldn't the govt consider this a priority?