Principles: Life and Work - Ray Dalio

boilermaker75

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I recently checked this book out from the library and found it to be worth the price I paid for it. 

Not much in the way of actionable insights, but if you're into amusing levels of narcissism, the book delivers in spades. It serves as a great illustration of the "Shoe Button Complex" identified by Buffett and Munger.

I recently checked this book out from the library and found it to be worth the price I paid for it. 

Not much in the way of actionable insights, but if you're into amusing levels of narcissism, the book delivers in spades. It serves as a great illustration of the "Shoe Button Complex" identified by Buffett and Munger.

Well played! The name, shoe button, is way out of date, but the behaviour is ever with us.

Yeah, I had little interest in this from the first time I heard he was releasing a book. He's just that guy who rubs me the wrong way and I really don't know why. Maybe his ego? Who knows.

Funny, narcissism is the first thought that came to mind when I heard too. Of course it doesn't help that some describe Bridgewater as being somewhat cultish.

I had to look up shoe button but it did make me laugh and I think you're right on with that.

I've really been enjoying Dalio's book. He reads the audio version (except for one chapter in the middle, oddly).

I think there's a lot of merit in the principles he espouses. I guess a lot of it is common sense type stuff, but you could say that about most of what Buffett/Munger say as well. It just turns out common sense isn't so common. Some of what he talks about I learned previously the same way he did: mistakes and lost money. I've recently started trying to document my ideas a bit better and seek criticism (something this site is great for if I could ever make it past step 1).

His life goal was always the same as Buffett/Munger: be independent and work with people he found interesting. Like them he overshot. Although a lot of people say that without it necessarily being true.

I'd suggest the Farnam Street podcast interview before buying the book. The book is basically a longer, more detailed version of that interview