Canada day

shalab

Hi guys - now taking a break in Canada in Jasper and Baanf national parks. In a visitor center, there was a big celebration of Canada day with free cakes and flags. A couple were singing and we joined the party. There was a person with a stars n stripes bandana with the red shirts. Happy Canada day and in a couple of days, happy 4th of July!

Are Banff and Jasper crazy busy?  To celebrate Canada's 150th b-day, Parks Canada was offering free entry passes to all of our national parks (for the whole year).  I had heard that they were overwhelmed with the response and have wondered about the crowds out in Banff/Jasper.

I'm on the east coast now and you've reminded me how much I want to get back to the mountains!

If you have a chance, try to drop by Yoho National Park.  Somewhat less busy and incredibly beautiful, with some fantastic day hikes. (Iceline trail is a favourite, if I'm remembering the name correctly.)

Crowds look sparse compared to US parks. Glacier and Yellowstone are far more crowded anytime. I didn't know the park entrance was free this year - but it helps, would have spent $100 Canadian on park fees.

The landscape is fantastic. Will checkout YoHo if there is time.

Are Banff and Jasper crazy busy?  To celebrate Canada's 150th b-day, Parks Canada was offering free entry passes to all of our national parks (for the whole year).  I had heard that they were overwhelmed with the response and have wondered about the crowds out in Banff/Jasper.

I'm on the east coast now and you've reminded me how much I want to get back to the mountains!

If you have a chance, try to drop by Yoho National Park.  Somewhat less busy and incredibly beautiful, with some fantastic day hikes. (Iceline trail is a favourite, if I'm remembering the name correctly.)

Baanf was very busy today. However, Jasper and yoho were quiet.

One observation after seeing the cars in the park - it seemed as though people here are wealthy by holding real estate but that hasn't translated to showing off with stuff.

There are different types of immigrants. I didn't see many Spanish speaking people - so curious to know if Canada has illegal immigrant problem?

Baanf was very busy today. However, Jasper and yoho were quiet.

One observation after seeing the cars in the park - it seemed as though people here are wealthy by holding real estate but that hasn't translated to showing off with stuff.

There are different types of immigrants. I didn't see many Spanish speaking people - so curious to know if Canada has illegal immigrant problem?

Different crowd that goes to the parks.  Drive anywhere in downtown or even suburbs of Vancouver, and you will see more BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rovers, Supercars on a per capita basis than anywhere outside of say Monaco, Hong Kong or Dubai.

Immigration problem like most countries, but nothing like what you guys have on your southern border.  Cheers!

Parsad, makes sense. 

I was reading the local paper and it seems the English monarchy still has a lot of influence in this part of Canada. However, it seems to me that culturally, the US influence is stronger.

We had a fun experience and someone gave my 4 year old a Canada flag. We had a great experience at the park.

Canada great attitude, bad latitude! (Had Canada a bit more southerly, I would have moved there years ago. Can't take the winters.)

If Toronto/Vancouver RE was not nuts, it might be good time to move there. In 20+ years, it's gonna be temperate climate... maybe. :-\  8)

HaHa! Actually Vancouver is pretty warm (though it rains quite a bit) in the winter and pleasant in the summer, and Boston is colder than Toronto.

The real estate is crazy though.