Robert Sapolsky

Guest jeffswaldron

Guest jeffswaldron

Anyone else on this board a big fan of his or have any criticism? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sapolsky -- for quick reference

My thoughts on how he can make myself a better investor...

The study of human behavior helps increase me think more rationally (maybe?).  I will never be as brilliant as the quants or anyone who isn't an idiot when it comes to math.  I certainly will never have an advantage when producing DCF models to find intrinsic value.  But, I do think it's possible to identify small pockets of irrationality in the market, mitigate my own irrationality and, perhaps, make a large profit(or loss) when the stars align.

Hoping to open dialogue.  If this post is useless, please tell me why so I can avoid doing so in the future.

Guest jeffswaldron

Recently introduced and have been doing a deep dive. It resonates with me because understanding human nature can potentially be a nice mental model to apply to investing.  At the very least, it may help avoid a few of the common cognitive biases. 

Two of my favorite quotes that I can relate to investing are:

But often, it's easier to resist temptation with distraction, or to be so inculcated in doing the right thing that it's automatic, outside the frontal cortex's portfolio - Then it isn't the harder thing, it's the only thing you can do.

Robert M. Sapolsky

What does the frontal cortex do? Gratification postponement, executive function, long-term planning, and impulse control. Basically, it makes you do the harder thing.

Robert M. Sapolsky

Recently introduced and have been doing a deep dive. It resonates with me because understanding human nature can potentially be a nice mental model to apply to investing.  At the very least, it may help avoid a few of the common cognitive biases. 

Two of my favorite quotes that I can relate to investing are:

But often, it's easier to resist temptation with distraction, or to be so inculcated in doing the right thing that it's automatic, outside the frontal cortex's portfolio - Then it isn't the harder thing, it's the only thing you can do.

Robert M. Sapolsky

What does the frontal cortex do? Gratification postponement, executive function, long-term planning, and impulse control. Basically, it makes you do the harder thing.

Robert M. Sapolsky

I'm a big fan as well.  I have not read his most recent book (nor have I re-read his older books recently).  I do read his WSJ Saturday column and have his new book on my to read list.  Are those quotes from his new book?