Marc Cohodes & Patrick Byrne

bsilly

This may be of passing interest to some here, Patrick Byrne are apparently friends now :)

Cohodes still seems like an ass!  Cheers!

Well Parsad, since you always say 'No man is a failure who has friends', and Cohodes has become friends with one of the people he attacked, and in general has a pretty good record of attacking real corporate villains, and not legitimate companies, his Fairfax mistake notwithstanding, who is it that seems like an ass for being so unforgiving?

Cohodes is cocky and one sided that's for sure. He does admit he makes mistakes though - but I haven't seen him mention any specific ones, like Fairfax. He seems obsessed with getting respect, but often he doesn't give it. He has said shitty things about good people.

I find him interesting to listen to nonetheless. He does do his homework, and sometimes you need to challenge yourself to listen to an alternative point of view. Just because you don't like something somebody says, doesn't mean they are wrong about everything.

I think he does for the most part honestly believe what he is saying and in many cases, he's mostly right. But I think once he starts going in a certain direction he can only see the things that confirm his belief - twists/selects the facts to fit the theory.

I have mixed feelings.

This may be of passing interest to some here, Patrick Byrne are apparently friends now :)

Cohodes still seems like an ass!  Cheers!

Well Parsad, since you always say 'No man is a failure who has friends', and Cohodes has become friends with one of the people he attacked, and in general has a pretty good record of attacking real corporate villains, and not legitimate companies, his Fairfax mistake notwithstanding, who is it that seems like an ass for being so unforgiving?

So a guy takes advantage of the system and tries to drive a number of companies into the ground using naked short-selling, and you're telling me I'm the one that seems like an ass?  Patrick isn't friends with Cohodes...he feels sympathy for Cohodes.

If Cohodes showed remarkable change, that might be something, but these guys don't change.  You can hear it in his language in that article.  He's still speaking with bravado and that there are those that should fear him.  He's still blaming Rocker, but accepts some of the blame.  This guy will still tread the line, or perhaps go over it, if he gets stuck on a crusade.  He's done it before and will do it again.  Cheers!

So a guy takes advantage of the system and tries to drive a number of companies into the ground using naked short-selling, and you're telling me I'm the one that seems like an ass? 

Cohodes has done a lot more good than harm, and this 'naked-short selling = driving a firm into the ground' theory does you no credit. Look at the list of companies that he has publicly attacked: Lernout and Haupsie, NovaStar Financial, Fairfax, Overstock, AaiPharma, Valeant, Concordia, Home Capital Group, the list goes on and on, and most are bankrupt or shadows of their former selves. Do I like that Fairfax is in the list? No, that was a mistake, but a guy does not deserve so much spite just because of one or two bad calls.

As for Byrne, he says this: “I have a strange affection for Marc as one sometimes develops for an opponent,” Byrne says of Cohodes now. “At the end of the day we sort of put it behind us.” Maybe you should think about doing the same.

So a guy takes advantage of the system and tries to drive a number of companies into the ground using naked short-selling, and you're telling me I'm the one that seems like an ass? 

Cohodes has done a lot more good than harm, and this 'naked-short selling = driving a firm into the ground' theory does you no credit. Look at the list of companies that he has publicly attacked: Lernout and Haupsie, NovaStar Financial, Fairfax, Overstock, AaiPharma, Valeant, Concordia, Home Capital Group, the list goes on and on, and most are bankrupt or shadows of their former selves. Do I like that Fairfax is in the list? No, that was a mistake, but a guy does not deserve so much spite just because of one or two bad calls.

As for Byrne, he says this: “I have a strange affection for Marc as one sometimes develops for an opponent,” Byrne says of Cohodes now. “At the end of the day we sort of put it behind us.” Maybe you should think about doing the same.

Read the deposition yourself...page 27 on.  Cohodes admits to the existence of "naked short-selling".  He also even admits that his partner Rocker was getting information he should not have been getting, and somehow Cohodes was completely unaware of it all.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/03/26/business/20120326Goldman-Documents.html?ref=business&_r=0

Patrick as unconventional and unpredictable as he is, is ultimately a nice person.  He's put it behind him, because he was vindicated by Copper Partners $5M settlement.  Doesn't mean he's forgotten everything he went through or what they tried to do him.  And they tried to do this with Fairfax as well! 

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me!  Cheers!