"Life is a Single-Player Game"

Liberty

I thought that life is a crappy MMO.  ::)

It can certainly be played that way, but not if you want to actually ever feel sustainably happy and satisfied and fulfilled, IMO.

Wait, I don't get to kill random strangers on the street and jump on their corpses for fun? What kind of game this is?  ::)

IMO the post makes some good points, but the metaphor used in it is crappy. Single player game does not mean "it's not competitive". Single player game does not mean that you are content. Lots of single player games are competitive and do not result in happy life. Also the image of "single-player game" conjures is that nothing matters but you. Maybe the author has not played many single player games, but yeah there's tons of "get millions in gold, get the castle, get the princess, get the superhuman abilities, get the McMansions" in single player games. Which is not what the author writes about in the article and definitely not what Liberty (and others) preach in terms of family, etc.

Edit: Ah, DooDilligence just posted an exact link that "single player game" metaphor conjures in my mind: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-mental-tricks-getting-over-yourself/ . Solipsism. That's what single player game is. And that's not what author wants to say.  ::)

Be happy.

It can certainly be played that way, but not if you want to actually ever feel sustainably happy and satisfied and fulfilled, IMO.

Wait, I don't get to kill random strangers on the street and jump on their corpses for fun? What kind of game this is?  ::)

IMO the post makes some good points, but the metaphor used in it is crappy. Single player game does not mean "it's not competitive". Single player game does not mean that you are content. Lots of single player games are competitive and do not result in happy life. Also the image of "single-player game" conjures is that nothing matters but you. Maybe the author has not played many single player games, but yeah there's tons of "get millions in gold, get the castle, get the princess, get the superhuman abilities, get the McMansions" in single player games. Which is not what the author writes about in the article and definitely not what Liberty (and others) preach in terms of family, etc.

Edit: Ah, DooDilligence just posted an exact link that "single player game" metaphor conjures in my mind: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-mental-tricks-getting-over-yourself/ . Solipsism. That's what single player game is. And that's not what author wants to say.  ::)

Be happy.

That's what I got from it 2

Be happy.

That is what a single player game can be, but not what it has to be.  You are playing a single player game, but you choose how you play.  Anything you do for others, in the end, you do because it makes you happy to do so (or at least happier than whatever the alternatives are).  Your game starts when you are born and ends when you die, it is single player and takes place entirely inside your head.  That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk. If being nice to others makes you happy then you can choose to build your character accordingly.

Be happy.

That is what a single player game can be, but not what it has to be.  You are playing a single player game, but you choose how you play.  Anything you do for others, in the end, you do because it makes you happy to do so (or at least happier than whatever the alternatives are).  Your game starts when you are born and ends when you die, it is single player and takes place entirely inside your head.  That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk. If being nice to others makes you happy then you can choose to build your character accordingly.

I watched a show the other day on PBS about Mipso (great band) & at the end of it, Libby Rodenbough talked about how she goes about not get trapped in bad personas. Always changing (the way she said it was simpler & more eloquent & unfortunately I can't find the clip.)

“...checking out of society for awhile and maybe retreating into a more inward spiritual space. Then, consequently, the experiences of realizing that you need to rejoin the world and be a participant in it. I do have this feeling, and I think a lot of people like me have this feeling, that privilege gives you the opportunity to check out and be ironic, cynical observers of the world," she said. "but you can’t just check out and expect things to run smoothly.” - LR

--

a little bit of modern Blue Ridge twang

--

Moving in & out of single & multi player (compete vs non-compete) can help you become a better singles player who's capable of spreading the joy & being a true multi-player...

Be happy.

Missing the forest for the trees. You know what he meant.

Thanks for the links and perspective.

My take: a strong inner score card as a single player does not have to be associated with a toxic ego.

What is "MMO"?

ayup!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+an+mmo

I remember back before they were "Massive" playing a text based MUD.

hack & slash MUD!

Absolutely.  I remember us MUDers would take over a whole computer lab for the night at school. Basically a room with a bunch of DEC workstations w/ huge 20" monochrome monitors.  I never graduated to the graphical MMOs, probably because I graduated and got a job, got married, etc, and got back to the single player game.

My take: a strong inner score card as a single player does not have to be associated with a toxic ego.

What is "MMO"?

ayup!

hack & slash MUD!

Absolutely.  I remember us MUDers would take over a whole computer lab for the night at school. Basically a room with a bunch of DEC workstations w/ huge 20" monochrome monitors.  I never graduated to the graphical MMOs, probably because I graduated and got a job, got married, etc, and got back to the single player game.

Was offshore a lot & didn't have internet (lucky 2 find a phone.)

Clubbed a lot on time off & gave up online (played stuff like Squad Leader face 2 face)

Came back into gaming with a PS2 & Red Faction + FIFA 03, 04 & 05

No time for games any more unless you consider finance a game.

but this looks interesting https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/22/hackmud-is-an-mmo-hacking-sim-with-a-90s-vibe/

https://www.hackmud.com

What is "MMO"?

ayup!

hack & slash MUD!

Was offshore a lot & didn't have internet (lucky 2 find a phone.)

Clubbed a lot on time off & gave up online (played stuff like Squad Leader face 2 face)

Came back into gaming with a PS2 & Red Faction + FIFA 03, 04 & 05

No time for games any more unless you consider finance a game.

The last console I played much was the Atari 2600, although I have played games with my 17yr old son on his PS4 (he kicks my ass all over the place regardless of the game).

Interesting.  If I ever have some time to kill I'll have to give it a try.

http://thehappyphilosopher.com/single-player-game/

Good read, lots of wisdom in there. Relatively short but covers lots of ground, lots of "idea hooks" that you can follow deeper. Thought some here would find it interesting.

I like the part about the moving goalposts...when the goalposts move, you've got two options really, continue grinding to match the new goalpost, or change your perspective.

Has anyone here tried Ayahuasca?

Just mushrooms, way back when, but no psychotropics since I had to start paying my own bills (except THC)

Might be a good time to try this since my goalposts have been moved to another field that's set up for a different game.

I remember reading in the Anarchist's Cookbook about all kinds of freaky psycho-concoctions.

The book also had a lot of info on how to move a whole bunch of peoples goal posts all at once!

Thanks. Reading this fascinating book DMT - Spirit molecule.

Has anyone here tried Ayahuasca?

Just mushrooms, way back when, but no psychotropics since I had to start paying my own bills (except THC)

Might be a good time to try this since my goalposts have been moved to another field that's set up for a different game.

I remember reading in the Anarchist's Cookbook about all kinds of freaky psycho-concoctions.

The book also had a lot of info on how to move a whole bunch of peoples goal posts all at once!