Andy Killpatrick book is at Amzn now

marlinls

Buffett says he’s always on the hunt for large acquisitions which he calls elephants. In 2016, the famed Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha—which has long enjoyed the backing of Buffett's billionaire

friend Walter Scott, Jr.—gave names to six elephants imported from Africa, calling one of them “Warren” in Buffett’s honor. Here’s the zoo’s official description of Warren: “He

is between 7-8 years old and weighs 3,000 pounds. He is a tough guy with a big attitude. He acts like an adult bull, even at an early age. Warren is clever and was the first to explore the

overhead hay net. He is able to manipulate the treat cube {probably spiked with Cherry Coke} with his trunk and front foot to spin it in the air and get the best yield.” Maybe this Warren

is the next Warren Buffett. Think how long he’ll live.

(Photo courtesy of

Omaha’s Henry Doorly

Zoo and Aquarium)

of Permanent value 2017 edition

this article had a picture of the elephant but i do not know how to get it on here.

big elephant

I still consider Andy's book the ultimate bible for Berkshire disciples.  Here is the link to the 2017 edition! 

I can't even remember how long Andy's been putting "Of Permanent Value" together, but it's well over 20 years now. 

Thanks for all your work Andy!  Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Value-Warren-Buffett-Worldwide/dp/1681840723/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_w_dc_l657ybYTE9C4B_tt

Guest longinvestor

I got hit by this "I must have it" feeling and ordered it. Sometimes it costs a bit to be a Berkaholic.

Thank you for your posts, Marlin & Sanjeev. I'm looking forward to the read.

Place it on a concrete floor, bookshelf will become bowed.  :D. I bought mine some years ago at the annual meeting at lunch time and lugged it around the rest of the day, made it somewhat like economic anchoring, raising my eagerness to read it!

This book is not a book that reads from front to back. Lots of snippets about various aspects. They are organized by topics, like if you want to know about how the energy business came into BRK, there's a section on that. My favorite sections were those about Omaha natives' stock ownership.

Mine is an older edition of course.

Place it on a concrete floor, bookshelf will become bowed.  :D . I bought mine some years ago at the annual meeting at lunch time and lugged it around the rest of the day, made it somewhat like economic anchoring, raising my eagerness to read it! ...

lol! Thanks for the advice about how to handle and approach this brick, longinvestor!

The Lady of the House will most likely shake her head again - Last time was when I bought both the English and Swedish version of the Investor AB 100 years Anniversary book. She did not understand why I really needed both versions. When I'm reading the financials of Svenska Handelsbanken AB - on/off - [244 pages], she asks me : "What's so interesting about that light blue old fashion community telephone book? - is it the Swedish verson this time, or the English?" ...

Place it on a concrete floor, bookshelf will become bowed.  :D . I bought mine some years ago at the annual meeting at lunch time and lugged it around the rest of the day, made it somewhat like economic anchoring, raising my eagerness to read it! ...

lol! Thanks for the advice about how to handle and approach this brick, longinvestor!

The Lady of the House will most likely shake her head again - Last time was when I bought both the English and Swedish version of the Investor AB 100 years Anniversary book. She did not understand why I really needed both versions. When I'm reading the financials of Svenska Handelsbanken AB - on/off - [244 pages], she asks me : "What's so interesting about that light blue old fashion community telephone book? - is it the Swedish verson this time, or the English?" ...

John, it's a pretty fascinating read.  My first copy, I read the entire thing that week!  I just couldn't put it down because of all of the history, details, personal stories about Buffett, Berkshire, Omaha, investing, etc. 

Then you buy another copy say 4-5 years down the road, and read all of the new stories.  Then buy another one 4-5 years down the road again, and read all the new stuff again.  Plus, you'll go back and read some of the other stories over and over as well.  As Longinvestor said, it's a great reference guide as the index in the back is very comprehensive if you are looking for a specific subject.  Cheers! 

John, it's a pretty fascinating read.  My first copy, I read the entire thing that week!  I just couldn't put it down because of all of the history, details, personal stories about Buffett, Berkshire, Omaha, investing, etc. 

Then you buy another copy say 4-5 years down the road, and read all of the new stories.  Then buy another one 4-5 years down the road again, and read all the new stuff again.  Plus, you'll go back and read some of the other stories over and over as well.  As Longinvestor said, it's a great reference guide as the index in the back is very comprehensive if you are looking for a specific subject.  Cheers!

Sanjeev,

It reads to me that the book is "built" over many years - Berkshire style - better and better for every "yearly edition" - year by year, and has evolved to a behemoth, based on the long tough haul! Now I really can't wait to get it in my hands!

• 2 weeks later...

The book/brick just arrived here at 03:45 pm. That was fast, thinking about it got shipped from the US. ETA was 6th May or so. The UPS guy gave it to me with both hands, I received it with one hand - and I almost dropped the package, because of the weight! lol!

This damn thing will for sure keep me away from more stupid trades for some time!

Ohh, and I forgot to tell the Ruler of the House about my new aqusition... She's downtown shopping right now - actually perfect timing by randomness - ... if she has spent some money!