Allan Mecham 2016 letter

Snorky

Worth noting that the last three years reported performance is gross of fees, so they need to be subtracted down a bit (seems like the 2.4% is the one to use).  Regardless, best performance I'm aware of.

Anyone have any letters prior to 2006?

Guest longinvestor

Thanks for posting.

He does write very well, sort of reminds me of another letter writer ;)

His commentary on Berkshire is interesting. He may have well crossed the line drawn by several on this forum with his suggestion that he bought BRK for value not as a museum artifact. Hmm, I've to think about that one a bit more.

Thanks for posting.

His commentary on Berkshire is interesting. He may have well crossed the line drawn by several on this forum with his suggestion that he bought BRK for value not as a museum artifact. Hmm, I've to think about that one a bit more.

Still looks cheap, no? ~$107/share in cash/stock/bonds/warrants and then you get the operating businesses—which have grown at a 20% CAGR over the past 20 years—for something like 7x earnings?

Guest longinvestor

Thanks for posting.

Still looks cheap, no? ~$107/share in cash/stock/bonds/warrants and then you get the operating businesses—which have grown at a 20% CAGR over the past 20 years—for something like 7x earnings?

I think so. To keep it simple, Berkshire has been selling below IV for a while now,like since 2009. Allan Meacham suggests that by being an opportunistic buyer. But Buffett is also dragging ass, you know ;) From here on to eternity one would be foolish to be buying BRK. There are the new generation of take it all growth names, FANG. They're selling for a modest 60x earnings. You don't get growth for nothing, you know.

Looks like they are using leverage.Based on my math results are impossible without

2016 results are impossible without leverage? Or overall results?

They've definitely used large amounts of leverage in the past (leveraged BRK position) but he seemed to imply he was net cash in 2016.

Looks like they are using leverage.Based on my math results are impossible without

2016 results are impossible without leverage? Or overall results?

They've definitely used large amounts of leverage in the past (leveraged BRK position) but he seemed to imply he was net cash in 2016.

I know they levered brk in 2013 heavily ,otherwise it hasn't been clear in the past 4 years I've followed the portfolio closely whether or not they have in other years. In 2016 they most certainly did. Of course I have no idea what hedges they had in place. Even if you assume avm caught nearly the bottom in most holdings jan/feb 16', a yuge assumption, they had to use some leverage. It's not hard to see they should have been around 20%, which is good.

I know they levered brk in 2013 heavily ,otherwise it hasn't been clear in the past 4 years I've followed the portfolio closely whether or not they have in other years. In 2016 they most certainly did. Of course I have no idea what hedges they had in place. Even if you assume avm caught nearly the bottom in most holdings jan/feb 16', a yuge assumption, they had to use some leverage. It's not hard to see they should have been around 20%, which is good.

I admit this sounds crazy, but could he have done it by trading in and out of some of his stocks on a daily / weekly basis?  What if what appears in the 13F report is just the net buys or sells?  (since I never see 13F data showing both buys and sells of a stock in a quarter)