Sanjeev's Fairfax Dinner

Jurgis
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The money raised is going towards a great cause.

Sanjeev and Alnesh devote a lot of time to plan this event and it's always been a success!

I look forward to seeing everyone again and hearing some wonderful speakers.

I usually sit at a random table and find someone fascinating to talk to. Last year it was Jake Rosser from Coho Capital who is extremely smart and was kind enough to share his ideas with me.

Agree, this is a great event for a great cause and we are all lucky that Sanjeev and Alnesh put it on!

I'm genuinely puzzled as to why "politics" was listed as a reason not to go, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention at last year's dinner...

I'm genuinely puzzled as to why "politics" was listed as a reason not to go, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention at last year's dinner...

Not to start a discussion here, but "politics" refers to political discussions on CoBF that have potentially antagonized community members against other possible attendees. It does not refer to anything at the last dinner. Although anyone can interpret options any way they like.

It looks like the bottom line (thus far) is that about 44% of the people find the event too far or haven't attended before....With an event this size it might be possible for someone curious to contact members and see what they specifically say.  My hunch tells me that there are WAY more board members than actually attendees of this dinner. 

Judging by some of the threads in the FFH section of the board, it would appear that several long-time partners subordinated shareholders have divested their position.  A great many of the "I'm out" type of comments appeared in Dec/Jan after the epic shift in hedging practices.  If it's true that a large percentage of people who viewed FFH as a jockey-stock are out, then it's hardly surprising that they are not travelling to Toronto to attend the annual meeting and the supper that Sanj organizes.  For non-shareholders, it's pretty tough to justify spending a whole business day and $1,000+ to fly to Toronto and spend a night or two in a hotel just for the annual supper (although for those who actually live in the GTA, it's a no-brainer to drop the $100 for supper because it doesn't even cost you a day of your time).

SJ

It appears to me, that Jurgis [no critism intended here by that] just after posting the poll has made some adjustments to the poll. My vote ended up in "Won't attend - other". After the adjustments made by Jurgis to the poll my vote would have ended up in "Won't attend - too far" [as a European board member].

- - - o 0 o - - -

Thanks for posting the poll, Jurgis. I personally consider it a constructive angle for discussion of what Sanjeev has brought up.

- - - o 0 o  - - -

Thanks a lot for all what you're are doing for the CoBF members for so many years now, Sanjeev.

I think some who will not go because they are no longer invested in Fairfax, IMO just miss the point of the weeks festivities.  I think it provides an opportunity to build friendships & get some good ideas face to face.  Just my 2 cents.

Packer

Judging by some of the threads in the FFH section of the board, it would appear that several long-time partners subordinated shareholders have divested their position.  A great many of the "I'm out" type of comments appeared in Dec/Jan after the epic shift in hedging practices.  If it's true that a large percentage of people who viewed FFH as a jockey-stock are out, then it's hardly surprising that they are not travelling to Toronto to attend the annual meeting and the supper that Sanj organizes.  For non-shareholders, it's pretty tough to justify spending a whole business day and $1,000+ to fly to Toronto and spend a night or two in a hotel just for the annual supper (although for those who actually live in the GTA, it's a no-brainer to drop the $100 for supper because it doesn't even cost you a day of your time).

SJ

I've never attended the event, as I prefer to keep my thinking as independent as possible.

That may change once I retire, but for now it's still some distance away.

We may also want to bear in mind that the lower attendance is underlining the message of some of his partners - that he's on a short lease. Should it become necessary to part ways, it's better to have some distance. That's not a bad thing, but it is a reminder that their recent changes haven't been meeting the test.

SD

I think some who will not go because they are no longer invested in Fairfax, IMO just miss the point of the weeks festivities.  I think it provides an opportunity to build friendships & get some good ideas face to face.  Just my 2 cents.

+1

As a local, it's an easy call to take a few days off to attend the various events to hear what everyone is up to.