Buffet - If a Lady Says No, She Means Maybe

BG2008

I'm surprised that this has not been mentioned on this forum.  From a Huffington Post article

But in an interview with CNBC earlier this week, the 86-year-old crossed a line. Buffett was trying to explain why he and his investors made a public $143 billion bid to buy Unilever, even though as it turned out the consumer-goods conglomerate was emphatically not interested.

When Buffett’s people initially reached out, he explained to anchor Becky Quick, Unilever’s executive was apparently too polite and noncommittal ― leading to some confusion.

Then, he tried explain it all like this:

“Well, if a diplomat says yes, he means maybe. If he says maybe, he means no. And if he says no, he’s no diplomat. And if a lady says no, she means maybe. And if she says maybe, she means yes. And if she says yes, she’s no lady.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/warren-buffet-women-comments-business_us_58b59f6be4b0a8a9b78664dc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that this has not been mentioned on this forum.  From a Huffington Post article

But in an interview with CNBC earlier this week, the 86-year-old crossed a line. Buffett was trying to explain why he and his investors made a public $143 billion bid to buy Unilever, even though as it turned out the consumer-goods conglomerate was emphatically not interested.

When Buffett’s people initially reached out, he explained to anchor Becky Quick, Unilever’s executive was apparently too polite and noncommittal ― leading to some confusion.

Then, he tried explain it all like this:

“Well, if a diplomat says yes, he means maybe. If he says maybe, he means no. And if he says no, he’s no diplomat. And if a lady says no, she means maybe. And if she says maybe, she means yes. And if she says yes, she’s no lady.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/warren-buffet-women-comments-business_us_58b59f6be4b0a8a9b78664dc

He makes dumb jokes all the time, who cares. SJWs ruin everything.

This is not aimed at you in particular... I just think we care way too much about what comes out of people's mouths vs. what's inside their hearts.

This is not aimed at you in particular... I just think we care way too much about what comes out of people's mouths vs. what's inside their hearts.

+1

But I think the point of the OP was to discuss the Unilever fallout, maybe?

+1

But I think the point of the OP was to discuss the Unilever fallout, maybe?

Oh, yeah, could be. If that's the case, ignore my comment. I just thought it was about his joke, because it said he "crossed a line" in the excerpt.

Just more confirmation that North America is one uptight , repressed nation or perhaps there is a world of politically correct media and the world of what's actually going on. No wonder Trump had it out with the media, there are words for the way they operate that is reminiscent of the world's oldest profession. It's amazing how often the 'news' is now injecting political and cultural points of view into what should be journalism.

The "news" is just another program to sell advertising. If you're looking for the "truth", the "facts", or "journalistic integrity", you need to look at programs which are not designed to maximize advertising profit.

Of course he's not endorsing rape.  But take a look at the last sentence of that joke.

What he's endorsing (and what he may or may not actually believe) is that women should be virginal and pure, while it's fine for men to carouse.  And any women who doesn't at least act virginal and pure is a [pick your favorite slur].  That's the context.  That's the societal backdrop that makes the joke work and which the joke reinforces.  But it's people who point out that double standard who are "uptight" and "repressed"? Perhaps it's the men who complain about the criticism who are "uptight" about women's sexuality.

Of course he's not endorsing rape.  But take a look at the last sentence of that joke.

What he's endorsing (and what he may or may not actually believe) is that women should be virginal and pure, while it's fine for men to carouse.  And any women who doesn't at least act virginal and pure is a [pick your favorite slur].  That's the context.  That's the societal backdrop that makes the joke work and which the joke reinforces.  But it's people who point out that double standard who are "uptight" and "repressed"? Perhaps it's the men who complain about the criticism who are "uptight" about women's sexuality.

While I agree, you have to put things in the correct context. The guy is 86 years old. Good luck finding any person who was alive in the thirties who is perfectly aligned with today's standards and ethics. Munger too can say stupid shit IMO, but I can place it given how he lived most his life in a completely different world.

While I agree, you have to put things in the correct context. The guy is 86 years old. Good luck finding any person who was alive in the thirties who is perfectly aligned with today's standards and ethics. Munger too can say stupid shit IMO, but I can place it given how he lived most his life in a completely different world.

I think this is the right way to approach it. Is anyone really shocked that a couple of old white guys have some backwards views that were ingrained in them when they were younger? Munger hates pot and is a puritan, which I find ridiculous, but I don't let that stop me from learning from the overwhelming amount of good he brings to the table.

Well, (unfortunately) he's right. Probably shouldn't say it knowing how the world is these days though.

I'm curious:  What is he "right" about?

That women tend to play around a lot and will generally not be direct in admitting they want something to avoid losing face and to avoid being branded a slut. It's much better in that regard if the male led or if things "just happened". Much easier to deny.

Looking for a true misogynist? Look no further than Benjamin Graham. Buffet is just stating a fact.

Also, consider the fact that the old men in this area too might know something about how the world works that you don't. Maybe it's we who are backwards.

Try reading some evolutionary biology/psychology and come back to the "double standards" in a year or so.

Maybe it's we who are backwards.

Yeah, no lol

It may be worth considering more than five seconds. We are very, very bad at accurately representing history and our elders with nuance.

In the case of Munger he has hints of many controversial views which you sometimes see outrage about (some cultures work better than others is an example which sets the "bigot alarms" blinking). A strange stance to take when you lap up every word he says in all other areas as if was the epitome of intellectualism. Suddenly his views are all down to age and senility, it couldn't possibly be because he read and reasoned his way to them just like in every other area. Only ideology can shut down an otherwise open mind so completely.

Maybe it's we who are backwards.

Yeah, no lol

It may be worth considering more than five seconds. We are very, very bad at accurately representing history and our elders with nuance.

In the case of Munger he has hints of many controversial views which you sometimes see outrage about (some cultures work better than others is an example which sets the "bigot alarms" blinking). A strange stance to take when you lap up every word he says in all other areas as if was the epitome of intellectualism. Suddenly his views are all down to age and senility, it couldn't possibly be because he read and reasoned his way to them just like in every other area. Only ideology can shut down an otherwise open mind so completely.

"some cultures work better than others" is so obviously true that it is insane that it has to be said.  Also the sky is blue; Some women say no when they mean maybe; And SJWs need to get a life and a sense of humor.